June 21, 2011

In Which Riona Invents a Boy

January 11, 1175

All three brothers had the same eyes startling eyes--deep sapphire blue with a ring of gold around the pupil--the sort of eyes Riona's more romantic friends had spent their girlhoods dreaming of. But while Casimiro's were kindly and Bernardo's were playful and twinkling, there was something strange about Augustin's, something a little sinister. A chilling twitch shot down her spine, but she tried to keep a straight face. She'd already taken the painstaking step of stealing some of her brother's training garb; if she had to suffer the indignity of smelling like a boy, then it would be a waste if she didn't look and sound and act like one too.

And boys weren't supposed to tremble.

"Sorry, who are you?"

...Shit. She'd been on the road for two days and everything had gone according to plan. She'd eavesdropped at the door of Casimiro and Isidro's room, learned the route they planned to take. She'd stolen away from the castle that night and gone on ahead of them, made it to this little inn in the no man's land between Naroni and Dovia, seen them arrive some hours later. All the while, she'd managed to pass. She was lanky and angular and flat-chested. She'd spent enough hours of her life faking voices through doors that she could sound like a boy if she cared to. She hadn't had any problem fooling anyone so far.

But no one had asked for her name.

"Uh... my name is... Searle." If nothing else, it was the most common name in the area. It was a noble name, but commoners had been known to name their children for their lords on occasion, and the closest Dovian region was Bandera--where her cousin of that name was earl. "I heard you mention something about a crusade, and you're a small party, so I thought I might offer my services."

Somehow, she could feel Isidro's charcoal eyes boring into the side of her skull. She tried to brush that thought aside and focus on Augustin--who smirked. "How old are you, boy?"

"Fourteen," she answered promptly, realizing a second too late that it might not have been the right answer. Shit. Riona was fourteen... but how old was this Searle? Maybe he was tall for his age. Maybe he was late sprouting hairs on his chin. Maybe she should have given this a little more thought...

The sound of a clearing throat came from behind her and to her right. It was too gruff to be from Casimiro; it must have been old Scarface behind him. "Do your parents know where you are, Searle?"

There was something about the way he said the name that alarmed her--but she couldn't dwell on it. She had to be alert, had to be aware. Did Searle's parents know where he was? No. He was an orphan. "Don't have any parents."

"Oh?" It was a sneer. In spite of herself, she couldn't help but look at him, standing there behind his more personable, more attractive cousin, some spectral shadow leering at her from behind the cover of his own lack of humaness. "Are you from the southeast corner of Naroni, by any chance?"

The blood in Riona's veins chilled to thick red ice. How had he guessed...?

"Because you know who you look like?" he continued, the look in his eyes oddly reminiscent of her cat's when he caught a mouse and toyed with it--right before wolfing it down. "That redhead whose wife Bernardo kept ogling at breakfast yesterday. What's-his-face--Lord Severin's son."

"Jadin?" Wait... was it strange that Searle knew his name? No--no, maybe not. If Searle was from Veldora, then he would have known who Jadin was... surely?

By some stroke of fortune, the brothers didn't seem suspicious; there was something about the way Isidro nodded, however, that unnerved her. "Yes, him. From the looks of you, he could be your brother."

Augustin sniffed. "Maybe Lord Severin has a few bastards running around."

Riona's nails ground against the skin of her palms as she clenched her fists. Her father probably did have a few bastards running around--what man didn't, after all? But none her age... no. No, he had loved her mother too much. He wouldn't have... would he? No. "I don't like what you're implying, sir."

If anything, this only seemed to amuse Augustin further. "Can't say I blame you there. The man seemed downright mad when we met him, didn't he, boys?"

Bernardo and Casimiro exchanged an awkward glance as Riona tried to restrain herself from punching their brother. How dare he insult her father. Furious but not wanting to appear so, she turned back to the other boys. Neither of Augustin's brothers seemed intent on saying anything, but Isidro's misshapen mouth cracked open. "Who isn't mad these days? Anyway, I think we're fine as we are. Go home, kid."

Figured that he would say that. Annoyed, Riona glanced at Casimiro--nice, reliable Casimiro--who indulged her with a smile. "I don't know, I kind of like him. 'Nardo?"

Bernardo shrugged. "It might be nice to have someone to boss around. Augustin? What do you think?"

The older brother took his time in answering. Riona's eyes darted amongst the party--Bernardo, Casimiro, her new arch-nemesis--before settling once more on Augustin. Another moment passed before he finally answered. "I never thought I'd say this, but I agree with Isidro. Sorry, kid. You seem like a fine enough boy, but crusades are for men."

Ah... maybe she should have seen it coming. A girl her age could pass for a boy, but a grown man? That was another thing entirely--and yet, no one was going to let her join them if she didn't. If she wanted to go any further, then her only way was to ride on alone...

"On second thought--" Interrupting Riona's mental process, Isidro stepped around his cousin and planted himself in front of her. Good Lord, such monstrosity was distracting. His face made it difficult to focus. "--maybe we should keep this one around a while longer."

...eh? "Err... you mean it?"

Isidro's scarred lips twitched. He'd probably never been closer to a smile in his life and she didn't think that meant anything good. "Of course I do. I'm sure you could make yourself useful somehow."

There had to be a catch to this. Isidro wouldn't have been being so nice to her if there wasn't. But at the same time... well, it did beat going alone... "Thank you, Izzy."

On the side, Bernardo snickered; Isidro raised an eyebrow. "What did you just call me?"

Well... at least she had a button to press later? Still, it probably wasn't the best immediate repayment. "Sorry, I... I just thought 'Isidro' was a bit of a mouthful."

His cousins continued to chuckle to themselves. Scowling, Isidro crossed his arms and stared a her. "It's three syllables. Your own name arguably has the same number... see-AR-ul." The word was so forced she couldn't have considered that it was what he'd wanted to say. It was uncanny. It was frightening...

...and yet...

"Don't apologize. But for the record--call me that again and you're on your own."

NEXT CHAPTER:

21 comments:

Van said...

...God, I'm tired :(

Penelope said...

HAHA, Isidro recognizes her! *runs to work*

Van said...

That is a distinct possibility ;)

Anonymous said...

Isidro TOTALLY knows. Totally.

And I wonder if he let Riona tag along just because Augustin said no. Those two do despise each other.

Riona really is a pip, though. I loved her line about smelling like a boy. Oh honey, once you start off on this crusade, it's only going to get worse!

Wonder how long it is before everybody knows she's a girl ...

Van said...

That might be part of it, but Isidro has a few other reasons for deciding to keep Riona close. He has a couple of POV chapters coming up fairly soon, so we'll see then ;)

Riona was born for trouble. I'm sure she'll get over the stench of boy as long as she's having enough fun XD

Epi said...

Is she gonna do an Arya Stark and pee in the woods so no one sees her lack of male parts?

Van said...

Ha! XD

I don't have any plans involving anything quite of that nature ;) But there are other ways she could potential be discovered, of course...

Penelope said...

Whose clothing is she wearing?

Joseph said...

I KNEW IT

I knew she'd do something like this.
That is sooooooo Riona-ish. Probably why I like her.

(I read this earlier and incidentally, HOW do you manage to post JUST as I'm getting up. Must be a gift lol)

Van said...

Pen: That would be Lonriad's tunic there :P

Weirdly enough, last time we saw him, Asalaye said he smelled nice. Then again, brothers never smell good to sisters, and I can't imagine many fifteen-year-old boys are all that diligent about making sure their gym clothes make it to the wash :P

Joseph: It's definitely a Riona-type stunt ;)

Heheh... funny how the time difference works out. I usually post just before I go to bed.

Penelope said...

Maybe the last time we saw Lonriad wasn't the last time he donned that tunic. :O

I have a brother and there is no one in the WORLD who would think that his clothing smelled nice after he had been exercising in it. (And I imagine much less so if his exercise clothes had been lined with chainmail. XD)

Van said...

Oh God, yeah, I wouldn't touch my brother's gym clothes with a ten-foot pole either :S

S.B. said...

oh god, she's crazy. I can see Riona going off in a huff but on a freaking Crusade?? With that bunch? She certainly has it in for Isidro, and I suppose her fixation with his scar is typical for a young teenage girl even if it doesn't say a lot for her.

It sure seems like he recognizes her, but I don't understand why he would permit her to come along if he does.

Van said...

She's certainly an impulsive one, that Riona :S

As for what exactly Isidro was thinking here, we'll get some insight fairly soon...

thewynd said...

I wonder what possessed Riona to take off on a Crusade. Was it the adventure? Was it Casimiro? I know she is impulsive and was seriously ticked off at Severin's punishment but this can't go well especially if Domingo catches wind of it.

I don't doubt Isidro has his motives...can't wait to find out!

thewynd said...

I also want to say I laughed so hard at Riona's inner monologue...

Van said...

I'd say most likely a combination of all of the above.

As for Isidro... well, we'll find out soon ;)

Thanks Gayl :)

thewynd said...

Let me preface this by saying I am beyond sleepy and couldn't get this idea out of my head in order to go to sleep. I keep thinking of the way Isidro pronounced Searle and now I want you to phonetically spell everyone's names.

- lack of sleep made me post this -

Van said...

Hope you manage to get to sleep soon.

In my mind, there are three ways of pronouncing Searle:

1 syllable -- serl
2 syllables -- ser-ul
3 syllables -- see-ar-ul

(My mind usually defaults to the second pronunciation.)

Hmm... that's a lot of names :S Maybe I should phase phonetic spelling into the profile pages?

The Lunar Fox said...

Riona is crazy! But lol, classic. I can't wait to see what you do with this.

Isidro surprised me. I wonder why he'd want her to stick around? Maybe he's going to try and scare her straight! 'Cause crusades man, that can't be pretty.

Van said...

Thanks Lunar :)

Isidro definitely has a goal in mind here, but as to what that actually is... :P