June 6, 2011

In Which Lettie Gives a Perfect Present

September 29, 1174

Lettie peeled her lips off of her husband's and smirked. From the taste of him, the silly boy had been down to the kitchens for a bite of cake already; good thing the cook was a sly one and had probably prepared for such an event. "Happy birthday."

"Mmm... thank you." Searle placed his hand on her shoulder and pulled her close, resting his forehead against her own. His eyes were so blue it was difficult to fathom anything but the sheer color of them--or at least, that would have been the case under normal circumstances. "Now, for the important question: where is my present?"

Lettie laughed. He was only a few months younger than she was, but there were times when that difference might as well have been years. But he could be silly on his birthday. Hell, he could be silly whenever he wanted; if he was adorable enough to pull it off, then why shouldn't he take advantage? "Funny you should ask, seeing as I was just about to show you."

Searle's brow peaked with interest. Shaking her head, Lettie pulled away from his embrace and took a step toward the door by the room's corner. "It's in here. It's not quite finished, though."

"Finished?" The was a boyish spring in his step as he trailed after her. She just hoped he found the surprise worth the excitement. "You made it yourself?"

She shrugged. "Well, I had a little help."

"How long have you been working on it?"

"Eh... maybe three months, give or take?" She could almost feel him gaping at her, like he thought he couldn't possibly be worth all that trouble. God, he could be so dense sometimes; at least he was pretty. "It might have been nice to have it done sooner, but you know... better late than never, good things take time, and about a thousand other cliches."

She stopped a few paces into the room and sent a loving stare toward the new addition. Meanwhile, Searle's eyes darted between her and the piece, a smile swelling on that kissable little mouth of his. "It's just what I wanted."

Thank God. Relieved, she winked at him. "That's what I was hoping. But if you want something else too, it's not too late for me to run down to the village and--"

He cut her off by lacing her arms around her and pulling her in for a kiss. There weren't many ways in which she could be rendered speechless, but apparently that was one of them. "It's perfect. I don't need anything else."

Damn, that blue again. Lettie found herself squirming. She was probably blushing like one of those giggly chambermaids she'd always ridiculed as a girl and she wasn't sure she cared--not right now, anyway. "You're sure?"

"You know I am."

NEXT CHAPTER:

9 comments:

Van said...

Sorry this wasn't up last night. I worked the late shift and came home with the intention of updating, but then my father informed me that I had an appointment this morning, so I had to get to bed earlier than I'd planned. Sorry about that :S

Now, I have to dive into my online course for a few hours, but with any luck I should have the next IFV up soon-ish.

Penelope said...

Sweet! (Both in the sense that this was adorable and that I am happy for them.)

(Only I am a little concerned about Sparron's reaction.)

(Not that he doesn't realize the inevitability of this.)

(Don't think it will hurt any less though.)

(*Unnecessary parenthesis*)

Van said...

I kind of can't wait to see the kid ;)

(Oh, I'm sure Sparron will have some interesting feelings about this.)

(But yes, he probably realizes it was bound to happen.)

(But yeah, that's still gotta hurt.)

(:P)

Anonymous said...

Searle's havin' a BABY! Severin and Alina are going to be grandparents -- again! ;)

*does happy dance for Searle and Lettie* They're going to be great parents.

... But yeah, Sparron's probably not going to take this very well. I take it that there's still no change on the Camaline front (i.e., her fertility or lack thereof)?

Van said...

Ye-ep, this is Grandbaby #4 for Severin and Alina :)

(I'm personally hoping for a boy this time just to make it an even two and two, but Searle and Lettie would be cute with a little girl too.)

I can't imagine Sparron will handle this well. He's not exactly great at the whole "coping" thing :S

Yeah, there have been no changes with Camaline since the last bit of news--not that she and Sparron bother trying very often anyway.

S.B. said...

A cradle...oh my god that is wonderful! And how happy they both seem, it's almost too good to be true. The poor boy really has suffered through a lot of heartbreak, and he deserves some happiness.

You really surprised me with this one!!

Van said...

They do both seem pretty happy. I guess the question now is "How long will it last?" :S

But yeah, Searle deserves the break :)

Thanks Beth :)

The Lunar Fox said...

"God, he could be so dense sometimes; at least he was pretty." LOL! I didn't get it either at first and had to do a double take.

Aww... a baby? Well this is an interesting and complicated turn!

Van said...

Heeeee...

This baby will be one of the few non-Riona-related events that will be covered in 1175, if that says anything ;)