November 6, 2010

In Which Celina Sheds Light on the Odds

July 24, 1170

Celina squeezed Ovrean's hand and nestled herself against his side, glad for a rare moment of peace and quiet; Lord knew she loved her children more than life itself, but when one accumulated as many as she had over the years, one began to appreciate the slower moments. "You know, I hope those two learn how to keep themselves entertained before the new baby comes," she muttered in exasperated fondness, resting a free hand on the separate entity of her middle.

"And to think, the younger ones aren't even the neediest of them all!" Ovrean shook his head, then kissed her brow and exhaled. "Did you know that Jadin's here?"

She raised an eyebrow, but she couldn't say she was surprised; Jadin had been calling with a suspicious frequency lately. "Oh, really?"

"Indeed; in fact, I had to go break up the fight while you were tending to the little ones." He laced his arm under Celina's knees and hoisted her onto his lap; with the added girth of eight months' worth of baby, she had to marvel at his strength. "You know, my nephew is a good kid, but I can't blame Conant and Abrich for trying to beat the snot out of him just now."

Celina sighed. "Do I need to have a little talk with Xeta?"

"Not a very serious one, thankfully, but it might help." He pressed his forehead to hers and smiled; the movement of his lips, she could see, did in fact match the twinkling in his eyes. "I'm not too worried about Xeta not setting boundaries or Jadin trying to cross them once they've been established--I just don't see why the boys should ruin a perfectly good friendship over anything like this."

"Well, you know how children are." There was a knock on the door; speaking of children, it must have been one of them. "Come in!"

The door opened and inward trudged not one of the children, but Aldhein. "Your grace, Sir Ovrean; I hope I'm not interrupting anything?"

"You're not, but whoever sent you is, that's for sure!" laughed Ovrean as he pulled Celina nearer, the edge of her belly pressing well into his torso; Aldhein crossed his arms and glanced down at the floor. "Who needs to be recieved this time?"

"Your brother, sir." Aldhein's hand twitched against his opposite forearm. "He says he's been granted permission to relocate to Naroni and thought it would be best if he stopped by."

"Oh." Ovrean sunk toward the back of the bench; sensing a bit of discomfort, Celina hoisted herself off of him and stared downward--her red velvet kirtle, her wedding band, her bulge. "Might I ask which brother? I do have far too many of them."

The steward gave the barest and briefest of indulgent smiles. "Sir Tarien, sir."

Ovrean sighed. "Well, I suppose he's the least of four evils... actually, maybe not. At least he isn't Vulcran, though."

Aldhein frowned. "Is that a 'send him in'?"

"I suppose it is."

The other man nodded curtly, then left. Ovrean said nothing and appeared to have no intention of speaking without a prompt, so Celina turned to her husband and broke the silence. "Ovrean, do you have some sort of quarrel with your brothers?"

Much to her relief, he merely chuckled and slung his arm around her shoulders. "Oh, not at all! They're just a little... much, if that makes any sense. They're a bit like my sisters, only dumber--best taken in small doses, to be sure."

"Oh." She folded her hands and dug into her knuckle with her fingernail. "Do you think he'll be seeking accommodation while his castle is being prepared."

Ovrean pressed his lips into a thin line. "Probably. Also, if he makes a pass at you, just ignore him; it's like a reflex with him."

Skeptical, Celina shifted her gaze to her stomach. "I don't think that will be a problem."

"Oh, I wouldn't be too sure about that if I were--oh, Tarien. What a surprise."

Indeed, a tall blond man had made his entrance, his teal eyes--Laralita's eyes--darting between the pair of them. "Nice to see you Ovrean--and Celina! When was it last? Rudolphus and Eudocia's wedding, I believe?"

"That sounds about right." Her husband at her heels, Celina stood and embraced her brother-in-law--at least, as best she could with the added mass in front. Luckily, he had long arms, and his hand found rest on her upper back... middle back... lower back...

"Watch the hands," Ovrean snarled in warning. Startled, Celina backed away; Tarien tossed back his head and laughed. "Sorry, brother--a man just can't resist paying a lady a compliment, you know!"

"That is why the Lord gave us words." Ovrean's eyes rolled to the back of his head as his brother gave a smug grin. "Anyway, what made you decide to come to Naroni all of a sudden?"

"Plenty of reasons." Tarien folded his arms and shifted back and forth, as if he didn't feel the need to explain himself. "More land available for humble knights such as ourselves, for one. Also, you came here and found yourself a pretty young widow, so maybe I'll be in luck and find the same good fortune," he added, sending a wink Celina's way.

A half-amused glaze across his face, Ovrean snorted. "You would have been the last man I expected to be on the prowl for a wife."

The younger man shrugged. "After seeing what came down the aisle after they bound and gagged Vulcran at the altar, I figure I'm better off finding some saucy little thing for myself than letting Father pluck me some rotten apple that no one else dared pick--besides, it isn't as if I intend to be married right this second."

"And just as well, seeing as we're out of available saucy noblewomen right now," Celina informed him. She wondered what Alina might have said if her brother had come to her castle and told her he was thinking about finding a wife, but she soon chased the thought from her head; it was bittersweet to know that the only message Tarien could ever get from his sister now was the epitaph upon her tombstone.

How lucky for her that he could not read her thoughts. "Ah, well... perhaps I might start looking in the gentlewomen category, then? I've heard that hasn't worked out too horribly for Severin; hell, I'd marry a peasant as long as she was more interesting than whatever creature Father might pull from some lagoon and force upon me!"

Feeling a little devious, Celina smirked. "Tarien, if you aspire to find someone more interesting than a lagoon-dwelling beast, I hope you realize that your odds are quite slim."

"Ah! True!" He placed his hand on her shoulder and grimaced. "Allow me to rephrase: I am hoping to find someone I might consider to be the good sort of interesting."

"In that case, your odds are even slimmer." She flashed him a cheeky smile and watched as he sunk into a chuckling fit. "We'll have one of the maids prepare a room for you, if you like."

"That would be much appreciated, thank you," Tarien acknowledged her. "And if it ends up being that brown-eyed vixen I saw dusting in the front room, can you maybe ask her to stay and wait for me? There's nothing I love more than a dark-eyed woman."

NEXT CHAPTER:

13 comments:

Ann said...

Love Celina and Ovrean! Just love them! ^^

I can't really make out what Tarien's all about. But I guess we'll learn that in due course.

Does Aldhein have a problem with Ovrean? I thought he acted a little diffrently than ususal.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, Ann! They are adorable together. It almost makes up for the lack of Dalston.

And speaking of characters who are lacking, it's interesting to see Celina thinking of Alina. I think, other than of course Alina's family, she might be the one who misses Alina the most. At least she tends to think of Alina fairly often.

Even though Alina could never be forgotten, it's good to see that she's still remembered. :)

Tarien looks like a riot -- I can't wait to see what he brings to the table. And are we ever going to see the horror of Severin's seven damsels?!?

Van said...

I love them too :)

Ann: I think I know what I'm going to do with Tarien, but things could change at the last minute if I come up with something better. That and Naroni really could use a few more knights. All they had before Tarien showed up were Ovrean and the Searle who used to be Severin's squire.

Aldhein does have a problem with Ovrean, but since we've never seen them together before now, I didn't expect anyone to know that. Here's the problem: ever since Celina offered to take in him and baby Eilyssa, he's had a slight thing for her. Nothing too sexual--based on his track record, she's not really his type--but it's significant enough that he's a bit jealous when he sees her all snuggly with Ovrean.

He never had the same problem with Dalston because he worked with Dalston every day, like he works with Lorn now. Aldhein knew Dalston outside of his relationship with Celina and got to know him as an individual. He doesn't know Ovrean outside of the context of Celina, so the bitterness comes into play there.

Morgaine: Alina was probably Celina's best female friend after she moved to Naroni (or at least until Holladrin showed up, since she and Celina grew up together). But really, if your other choices for companionship over the course of the years are Geneva, Medea, and Laralita, you're probably going to go for Alina. So she definitely does miss her.

Tarien is... an interesting fellow. I still haven't gotten him quite figured out yet, but I think I know enough to navigate him through my plans for him.

Heheh... the woman Tarien mentioned his brother Vulcran marrying was one of Severin's damsels. Actually, the oldest brother married one of them too (his first wife died a while back).

S.B. said...

Celina and Ovrean are absolutely darling together!

I am intrigued by Tarien. Such a flirt! But he has a quick wit, and evidently he's not a snob. Love the banter between the three of them: it just sparkles!

Van said...

I love them together too. And Tarien does have some interesting banter with the pair of them.

Thanks Beth :)

thewynd said...

I'm glad to see some happiness here for Celina and Ovrean. I wondered if I was the only one that picked up on Aldhein's attitude. Glad I wasn't.

LOL at the shotgun weddings! I guess Roderick managed to salvage a little good will after Severin's coup.

Van said...

Yep, they're pretty happy. They're very comfortable with one another, that's for sure :)

Haha, yes, Roderick is putting those spare brides to use :P

Penelope said...

Hhheeeeee! :D

Oh I like Tarien! I'VE GOT BROWN EYES! I'LL MARRY HIM!

Van said...

Yay! It's always good to see people reacting well to new characters :)

Penelope said...

How could I resist that smile?? Poor Celina having a guy like that in her home though. She is sure to feel scandalized on a daily basis with his flirting and casual groping.

Van said...

Fortunately for Celina, it won't be too long until Tarien has his own place to crash. She'll still probably see a lot of him, though :P

Verity said...

He seems like he's going to be a fun new addition to Naroni. He's rather good-looking too... I really like that hair. I haven't managed to find it yet. Do you remember where you got it from Van?

Van said...

I do have some plans for the man :)

Tarien's hair is a Peggy hair. The main site isn't loading for me right now, but here's the link to it on PMBD (it's #10).