November 10, 2010

In Which Arydath's Scarf Gets Away

August 31, 1170

Arydath drummed the tips of her fingers against her temple. What was taking Cord so long? It had been a lightning strike of luck that they had both been summoned to the keep on the same day, but for the life of her Arydath couldn't fathom how she'd finished with her business first. Hell, she'd been called to deliver a baby; based on the duchess's prior labors, she'd guessed she'd be there all afternoon. Instead, the infant had taken little more than an hour and Arydath had resigned herself to the front room, waiting for her son to finish sorting out a slight tax miscalculation.

The late summer breeze on her face heralded the opening of the front door. Arydath sighed; it was probably Aldhein, whom she found insufferable on the best of days. "Master Denvus."

"Sorry to disappoint you, missy," a man chuckled from the doorway--a man who sounded little like sarcastic, muttering Aldhein, "but I am not he. Might I be of service?"

She heaved herself to her feet and looked the stranger over. He tall, fair, and rather scruffy-looking, though his garb was enough to distinguish him from a peasant such as herself; whoever he was, it wasn't as if he was out of place here. "Who the hell are you?"

His teal eyes bulged, as she could have expected--she was, after all, a small woman with a voice far too large for her frame. "Well, aren't you a saucy little thing! I like that in a woman."

Annoyed, Arydath's eyelids sank, casting a dark glaze over her vision. "You didn't answer my question."

"Indeed, I did not; how rude of me!" He winked, a wide grin emerging on his face. His teeth were so white and shiny she thought she could make out her reflection in their surface. "Sir Tarien, at your service--Sir Ovrean's brother, if you were wondering. And yourself, love?"

"Arydath Diarn. I'm the midwife."

"The midwife, you say?" That stupid smile still firm, he glanced upwards as if to offer a silent prayer; then, with the gall of a fifteen-year-old boy, he placed his hand on her shoulder. "My God! The way the steward was going on about you, I was expecting an old hag, but--damn! You can't be any older than... seventeen, eighteen?"

What an idiot. Her eyebrow arched, she lifted his wrist from the neckline of her gown and cast it aside. "Not even close."

"Ah, the feisty, blunt type!" he exclaimed, an unwanted note of approval in his tone. "I like! Anyway, if you're here, I take it that--?"

Arydath nodded; thank God for the excuse to talk about something other than 'types'. "Yes, sir--you have a new nephew."

"A nephew!" He clapped his hands together in delight, then reached for hers; she backed away, but the gesture seemed to fly over his head. "A strong, strapping lad like his uncle, no doubt--and named for me too, I presume?"

"Not unless you have the same name as her grace's grandfather--which you don't."

"Alas, skipped over yet again!" Sir Tarien smacked himself on the forehead in mock-outrage--dear Lord, did the man ever stop grinning? "Perhaps I ought to just start having my own sons. I'll have a dozen of them--and by God, they'll all be named Tarien!"

What an arrogant son of a bitch; at this point, she almost would have preferred a conversation with the king. "Well, good luck finding a woman mad enough to agree to that."

Tarien laughed again. It must not have occured to him that she wasn't trying to be funny. "I don't know, love, you seem a little mad yourself--while we both have a few minutes, perhaps we ought to start on the first?"

Arydath rolled her eyes. "In your dreams."

"I'll be sure to take you up on that offer tonight," he assured her with yet another of his infernal winks, "but you're really something, you know? You just ought to lighten up a little more."

"Sir Tarien, I am a thirty-five-year-old widow and mother of six." Her scarf had loosened over the course of the day; she quickly tightened it, then met his twinkling eyes once more. "Surely in a castle this large, there must be any number of giggly young maids that would be infinitely more fun to harass than frumpy old me."

"Oh, you're not frumpy, love." He cocked his head to the side and narrowed his eyes, a devious sort of energy looming in his features. "You just need to let your hair down a little."

She frowned. "Let my hair down? What do you--hey!"

Whistling casually, he folded the swiped scarf in half and began to wrap it around his oafish hand. "I knew it! My--damn! You're really beautiful, you know?"

Beautiful or not, he was out of line--pig! "You bastard! Give that back!"

"Relax, love, I'll hand it over in a second." That wasn't good enough. Furious, she dove for it, but his hand was too quick for her. "Just let me look at you for a minute, all right?"

Arydath balled her fingers into a tight fist. It didn't matter that it was just a simple scarf; this asshole had just removed a piece of her clothing and had the gall to grin about it! "Dear Lord, love, I don't think I've ever seen such hair! What a color! The green scarf made it seem more brown than it actually is, you know. Not that it didn't look nice then, of course... but that copper! Cinnamon, even! Really, love--"

"I am not your love!" Arydath shrieked, lunging toward him and shoving him backward. Yet again, she had caused his eyes to widen in shock--and she'd finally wiped that stupid smile off his face. "Give me my scarf back, you cunt-faced, motherfucking pile of shit! Lord help me, I'll strangle you with it!"

She readied herself for some cheeky retort about how that didn't give him much incentive to return it; instead, he outstretched his hand and offered it freely. Arydath snatched it up and secured it beneath her belt. "Pig!"

Sir Tarien sighed. "I was just teasing, you know. Sorry if I upset you, darling--"

"Don't call me 'darling'!"

She pushed past him and charged through the front door, its heavy form reduced to nothingness by the fury in her veins. Cord could get home on his own.

NEXT CHAPTER:

9 comments:

Van said...

I know it was supposed to be Ashelia next... but I really, really wanted to write Arydath!

...Holy shit, I really should go to bed. Extras will be updated in the morning.

Anonymous said...

He just cannot take a hint, can he? Good lord. I can understand why Arydath is so frustrated, even if I cannot understand why some grown men -- in RL and in stories -- insist on flirting like 12-year-olds.

And it might just be too soon for Arydath to even be considering anyone else (even if he does not flirt like a twelve-year-old). It hasn't even been two years yet. Halford was the love of her life and the father of her six (!!) kids. You don't get over somebody just like that.

But on another note -- yay, more Celina/Ovrean babies! Glad to hear that both mother and child are ok. (At least, I assume that Arydath wouldn't be resting on the couch if they weren't.) And Searle ... oh, dear. :( Well, at least Dad is likely to be sympathetic, no matter what.

Van said...

Yeah, I sometimes wonder if men flirt like teenagers in an attempt to make the women they're flirting with feel younger, or perhaps to reassure themselves of their own prowess (granted, I'm probably waaaay off here). I don't think Tarien meant any harm in this but... yeah, he just can't take a hint :S

I don't think Arydath will ever be over Halford, for sure. He was the love of her life. It's been long enough that her mother might have started pestering her about finding someone else, but I doubt she's quite ready to make that step just yet.

Yep, Mother and Baby are both fine :) Celina and Ovrean have been reproducing like bunnies--three kids in three years! Celina has more kids than Severin now (although, not for very long) :S

Poor Searle needs a hug :(

thewynd said...

Why is it that I can see those two marrying and having 10 sons named after Tarien?

This had me in sticthes.

What an arrogant son of a bitch; at this point, she almost would have preferred a conversation with the king.

Van said...

Why not? :P

Heheh, Roderick gets no love. Not that he does much to deserve any ;)

S.B. said...

LMAO!!! Ok I love these two together! Neither of them holds back anything, which might be catastrophic but will never be dull!

Tarien is a total imp. Maybe he'll turn out to be a heartless player, but so far there seems to be little darkness in him. And he is certainly self confident. Arydath is a perfect match!

Van said...

They do have some chemistry, even if it did kind of explode on them here :P

Tarien is a shameless flirt, but I wouldn't call him a player, per se. He can be crude and doesn't know when to shut up, but he's a decent enough guy--just over-confident (perhaps falsely?) and a bit immature.

As for Arydath, I imagine she would be bored with someone who never argued with her or never teased her or anything of the like. She and Halford used to insult each other all the time--it was like a game to them. I could see her becoming interested in Tarien if they'd met a little later, or perhaps when she was in a better mood.

Penelope said...

Oh goodness, he IS insufferable! It would be nice if a strong lady took him down a notch. ;)

Van said...

He could probably stand to be humbled somewhat :P