July 15, 2009

In Which Thetis Retreats to Their Bedroom

February 16, 1159

After the ceremony, Thetis had begun to feel rather tired, so while the guests danced outside, she had taken refuge in Florian's bedroom--their bedroom, she corrected herself. She didn't feel as though she was missing anything outside; with her belly as large as it was, there was no possible way she could have danced. And really, Thetis had never been one for crowds, even though the guests at this wedding were of a much more pleasant sort than those at her previous one. No, while she'd had a lovely time, she was feeling rather worn.

Yawning, she peered out the window, somewhat disappointed to see that the sky was still the pale blue of midday. How long would it be until sundown? When would Florian tire? When would he come and take her to bed? She supposed if she wanted, she could just go to sleep without him... but what if she didn't wake by the time he came? Besides, it couldn't have been good luck to go to bed without one's husband on one's own wedding day.

Her husband. Florian was her husband. It was such an odd thought--for so long, she had been Norwan's, owned by him in every sense of the word. Now... she was free. Florian, she knew, did not own her; as sparing as he was with romantic sentiments, she could tell through his own snarky brand of affection that he loved her.

Yes, suddenly, everything was just... better. Even her new wedding band felt much more comfortable than her old one; now, she could truly begin to heal.

She was pulled from her thoughts by a sudden knock at the door. "Florian?" she inquired instinctively, before realizing that it had been a woman's light tap.

"Yes," boomed a falsely masculine voice, followed by some giggling. "Can I come in?"

"Of course... Arydath?" Thetis wagered a quick guess.

"No, it was me," Lady Alina announced as she filed in, followed by Arydath, Honora, and the duchess. The duchess! And a lady! And the baron had attended the wedding as well! If someone had told her years ago that she would have such esteemed, noble guests at her second wedding, she probably would have died of shock.

Arydath chuckled. "I thought she sounded rather more like Halford than Florian myself--I might have mistaken her for my husband."

"This is lovely paneling," mused Honora out-of-the-blue. "Do you know where Florian got this? I've been bothering Adonis about new paneling for several months now."

Had they always been so loud? Or was that just the result of how tired and light-headed she felt right now?

Nonetheless, it would have been rude to ask them to leave--especially since there was a duchess and lady among them, and she was only the new bride of the baron's steward.

So instead, she merely smiled. "Hello. Surely you aren't all tired of dancing already? We can't leave the men without partners, you know."

"Maybe they'll start dancing with each other," joked the duchess with a shy grin.

Laughing slightly, Honora nodded. "Now that I think about it, I did see Adonis eyeing Severin rather hungrily."

"Last I heard, Severin was dancing with Dalston. Maybe Halford can occupy Adonis for the time being."

"Well, Arydath and I are in the same boat as you, Thetis," replied Lady Alina after a quick bout of giggling. "We can't exactly dance right now, can we?"

"We certainly can't leap," Arydath agreed.

"And we figured we wouldn't let those two have all the fun, stealing off to see the young bride without us," added Honora on behalf of herself and the duchess.

So they'd come to gossip with her--wonderful. Ordinarily she would have been quite happy to receive them, and she did feel very flattered that they would come to her, but not now. She was too tired.

Not to mention... she was beginning to feel a little ill. And she was beginning to periodically ache somewhat.

"Thetis?" Honora addressed her, sounding both concerned and confused. "Are you all right?"

Arydath, meanwhile, only chuckled. "Wait for it, Honora. Wait for it..."

Oh God! Arydath was good--Arydath was very, very good.

NEXT CHAPTER:

17 comments:

Van said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CASSIE, A.K.A. ECLECTICTSUNAMI! Hope it's a good one :D

Also, just a shout-out to everyone... the countdown to 100 is nearing an end. This was post #97. I have pictures for 98, but have yet to take any for 99 or 100. When I do take pictures for those two, I would also like to do my quick photo shoot of ten characters as they might look in modern times.

So... who will those ten characters be? Penelope and Phoenix have cast their votes. If anyone else would like to name the characters they want to see, speak now or forever hold your peace. If you want to vote, you can list up to ten characters you'd like to see modern incarnations of. If you can only think of one, three, eight, etc., that's fine too. Thanks all :)

Penelope said...

BABY! Heh, at least Arydath is there.

Oh man, Florian will probably be terrified. His last wife died in labor!

eclectictsunami said...

Thanks Van! :D :D

Ach, Florian will be frightened indeed.

Phoenix said...

LOL @ Arydath!! She's great!

Ahhh...poor Florian!!:(

Van said...

Next chapter is Florian's POV, so we'll definitely see some of that anxiety there.

And yeah, at least Arydath was there... however, Electra died on Arydath's watch, so Florian might not find that reassuring.

thewynd said...

I am with everyone else here. Florian will be a wreck indeed.

I laughed so hard at the banter between the women and the visual of Severin dancing with Dalston...I would definitely cut in if given the chance.

So where is the poll for the 100 post characters? I'll throw my choices in too!

Van said...

Yeah, I'm wondering how on earth I'm going to get in the right mindframe for the next post. I'll probably finish off the next THIV prompt first, just to get my mind going.

Heheheh, the dancing. I almost wish I'd made pictures :)

Feel free to leave your choices in a comment :)

thewynd said...

OK!

*and in no particular order*

Severin, Dalston, Arydath, Camaline, Falidor, Nora, Holladrin, Lonriad, Celina, Viridis.

Van said...

Thanks for voting, Gayl :)

Camaline, eh? As in, Princess Camaline, second daughter of Roderick and Geneva? Interesting choice. I'll probably have to age her up to adult, though, or at least teen.

And by Viridis, I'm going to assume that you mean Lonriad's wife, not Severin's daughter of the same name.

thewynd said...

Err...you don't have to do Camaline. And yes I meant Lonriad's wife. I could have voted for several more...

Van said...

Feel free to vote for as many as you want. I have to fire up the game later tonight in order to shoot some more THIV pictures anyway, so I might as well get started on the photoshoot then :)

Penelope said...

Can I vote for Dalston just 'cause I want to see him in tight jeans? :p

Van said...

Providing that I actually have some tight jeans. I think the only male sim I have to download jeans for is 'Rigo, and most of his stuff is on the baggy side.

cheripye said...

Oh dear, once again wonderful characterization, and I still cant wait for some more Florian. LOL! and me thinks, LOL! that someone is going into labor, LOL! 80)

Van said...

Yeppers :P

Thanks, Cheri :)

Verity said...

Love it! So funny. I love Arydath with her predictions. Oh man, I hope it's Florian's.

Van said...

I really need to fit Arydath into the story more often. It's so easy for the peasants to get lost in the hustle and bustle of noble affairs :(