July 4, 2009

In Which Alina Gives the Worst Birthday Present Ever

October 6, 1158

"Searle isn't giving you too much trouble, I hope?" Alina sighed as Nora made her way toward her, the little blond boy in her arms. "He's used to being the baby of the family and getting all the attention--I imagine he's jealous of his little sister here."

Nora shook her head. "No, he's a good boy. Besides, it's natural; my mother said Falidor and I were like that when Ceidrid came along, and we were considerably older than your children. Oh, but you already know that, your ladyship--I'm guessing Jadin was like that when Searle came, and Raia when Jadin came, and Viridis will be whenever your next baby comes."

She nodded, but in all honesty, neither Raia nor Jadin had been quite so envious of their subsequent siblings. "Searle, will you humor Mama and say hello to Viridis?" she begged of the boy.

Searle sent one awkward glance his little sister's way, then hurriedly turned his gaze back to Nora's neck.

"Perhaps he's jealous because she's the only one to get your pretty nose," mused Nora. "His lordship must have been a rather odd-looking child. Oh well, they'll be fine--God knows his lordship sure did. Don't worry, Searle, you're a perfectly handsome gentleman, and one day you'll find a woman almost as pretty as your mama."

"Mama," Searle repeated gravely.

"Yes, no one is as pretty as your mama--that's why I said 'almost', silly!"

As flattering as it was to hear someone as young and beautiful as Nora compliment her on her appearance, Alina could not claim to feel very 'pretty' at all. No, since she had given birth to Viridis two months prior, she'd been acutely aware of the reemergence of that familiar, all-consuming feeling of emptiness that filled her heart and mind whenever there was no longer a child to fill her womb. At first, she had thought it might have just been a one-time occurrence--maybe it was something that only happened after the birth of a woman's first baby. But no, she'd had Jadin, then Searle, and now Viridis, and the sensation just kept coming back with each successive baby she bore.

Perhaps it will stop with the next one, she told herself. And maybe it would--all she could think to do was keep trying.

"My lady? Are you all right?"

Alina blinked; the thought must have endured longer than it had seemed to her. "Oh, uh... today is my husband's birthday, and I don't have a present for him."

That was true--she'd have to solve that problem as well. Somehow, she doubted that men enjoyed getting the same present four years in a row, even if said present did happen to be sex. Of course, she'd still give him that too... she just needed to find something to give him in addition to that.

"Just sleep with him," Nora suggested as she placed Searle on the floor by the ark. "Do some wild stuff you wouldn't ordinarily do. Birthday fun for both of you."

Alina laughed forcedly. "Well, yes, but I think I need a little something more..."

"Maybe something more will come in about nine months or so?"

She didn't have any better ideas--besides, the sooner she got pregnant, the sooner this feeling would leave her.

"Here, Searle," Raia offered, noting her brother's presence on the rug. "You can be the animals, since they don't talk and you don't talk."

Shrugging, Searle crawled to the side of his older siblings and picked up a stray horse, cradling it as if it were his stuffed dog.

Rubbing her expanding belly fondly, Nora beamed at the three children. "It's nice that they get along so well, isn't it?"

"Oh, that isn't always the case," groaned Alina. "If ever you see Raia and Jadin covered in bruises, assume that each got theirs courtesy of the other."

"Still, it is a fine thing to have siblings," the girl mused.

"Oh, of course."

And maybe they'll need another one soon, she added to herself.

"Nora, would you please take Viridis back to the nursery?" she requested of her young maid, gently handing her the baby. "I think it's time for her nap."

Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed Searle writhe in delight. "Mmph!"

"No, stupid," scolded his older sister. "The horse says 'hhnggggh', not 'mmph'!"

"Raia, why can't Searle talk?" demanded Jadin.

"Some babies just don't talk until they're older," Nora answered for her, gently bouncing Viridis as they slowly made their way towards the door. "Searle's a year old and doesn't talk. You two were speaking at nine months and haven't shut up since. Funny how that works."

Alina nodded. "Very true. Raia and Jadin are loud, Searle and Viridis are quiet. I hope the pattern continues--I would certainly want a quiet child for every loud child."

"I don't know... Rifden only makes Alsina seem even louder."

True--maybe she was better off with two quiet children for every loud one.

As Nora waddled out of the room, Alina set herself down on the couch, beaming at her older children fondly as Searle tugged at the skirt of her dress. She loved them, all of them--she really did--but it just seemed that now that they were out of her, they no longer needed her. She had nothing, no purpose, no one to depend on her and her alone. Never had she known this emptiness before she'd first given birth; she'd known not what she was missing. She needed to be needed by someone--needed in ways that no one else was needed.

Oh well. It was Severin's birthday. They'd had sex when they first woke, and then again after breakfast. They'd probably have it a third time as soon as he got home, and then maybe once after supper, and again before they went to sleep--in that instance, likely twice. She'd have a whole glorious nine months to work on his belated birthday present, as well as to fill her own void.

Suddenly, the door to the corridor burst open. Alina looked up, figuring it was either Nora or Falidor, or maybe Severin; however, she had to take a second glance.

"...Laralita?"

"Oh, Alina!" her sister gasped between strained breaths--she must have been running at some point. "I was worried I had the wrong castle, but I'm so glad that's not the case! You see, it's the smallest castle in this kingdom, so I figured it had to be yours since your husband is only a lord, but on the other hand, Severin is your king's own first cousin, so maybe he'd been given a larger one, and also his father..."

Alina rolled her eyes; typical of Laralita, really, taking every opportunity to correct her rankings of everyone she knew. "Why are you here?"

Her sister was stricken speechless, her teal eyes bulging in horror. "Alina! Is that really the way a mere lady chooses to address a woman who is not only a countess, but also a widow? Have you already forgotten that mere weeks ago, my husband made his departure from this earth and left me in near poverty?"

And with that, she burst into tears. Feeling somewhat guilty, Alina pulled herself to her feet and tenderly slung one arm over Laralita's shoulder--even though there was no way that Karlspan's death had left her in 'near poverty'.

"I'm... sorry," she muttered at last, even though she had the sneaking suspicion that Laralita was more upset about the fact that she was technically no longer a countess than the fact that her husband was dead.

Laralita continued to sob. "Oh, it's horrible! Alina... I'm a twenty-two-year-old widow!"

Biting her lip, Alina shook her head. "I'm sorry, sweetie, but you're twenty-five."

"Oh, don't remind me!"

This wasn't even about Karlspan--she was just taking this opportunity to complain about every single one of her so-called 'problems'. Alina knew it was wrong to think such things of one's own sister, but at the same time, she'd known Laralita long enough to realize that underestimating her shallowness was not a wise thing to do. "Where are the boys, dear?"

Her sister sniffed. "Oh, Koradril and Eldona are living at Bandera until my Searle is old enough to run things on his own. Father said it would be good practice for when Koradril is the count. Anyway, since Eldona's perfectly happy to take care of them, I figured I would take the opportunity to travel--go and find myself, you know?"

Not that there's much to find, Alina added silently to herself, but she wouldn't dare say that to Laralita's face even in happier times. Instead, she shifted her gaze to her children. "My babies. Raia is my eldest, and then the redhead is Jadin, and the blond is Searle. Viridis is taking her nap. Darlings, this is your Aunt Laralita."

"Hello," Raia greeted her. "I've never met any of my aunts before. I met my Uncle Rudolphus, but he's not an aunt."

"And technically, he's not your uncle," Laralita corrected her. "He's only your half-uncle, because he's only your father's half-brother."

The little girl raised an eyebrow. "Half a brother? Like only from the waist up?"

Laralita's eyes narrowed. "No. They have the same father, but different mothers. You see, your grandfather is a lecher, your grandmother is a whore, and your father is a bastard. Therefore, Rudolphus is only your half-uncle. Basic arithmetic, really."

"Laralita..." Alina sighed.

"Oh, come off it, Alina, it isn't as if she wasn't going to learn eventually," insisted Laralita. "She's the granddaughter of the Count and Countess of Valcria, in case you've forgotten, as well as the Duke of Luperia. She'll have to understand such things when she's older and marries whoever you find for her... although, considering she's a quarter gypsy, I doubt you'll be able to find anyone better than a greater lord, maybe a baron if she grows into that nose properly."

Alina could almost feel her blood pressure rising. "Laralita, if you don't mind--"

"Ah, but what's the use explaining such things to small children?" she questioned herself. "Perhaps our time would be better spent with a tour of this little place. Where will I be staying?"

"Staying?" gasped Alina in horror; somehow, she'd forgotten that Laralita lived about a good week's journey away.

Laralita nodded. "I figure it can only do me good to stay out of Dovia for awhile. Besides, it won't be long before I can no longer ride... did I mention that Karlspan will be having a posthumous baby? I do hope this one's a girl... unless she ends up looking like her Aunt Eudocia. In that case, I'd rather it be a boy. Oh, poor Rudolphus... his lovely genes are going to such a waste. You really should have married him--and to think, if you had, you would have been a duchess one day!"

Sometimes, Alina got the impression that Laralita was simply fond of her own voice.

"So, you're fine with me staying here?"

"Uh..."

"Oh, thank you, sister!" she exclaimed, suddenly engulfing Alina in a stifling embrace. "Oh, we're going to have so much fun living together! We can gossip and chat and talk and catch up on everything! I'm so excited!"

Finding herself lacking air, Alina squirmed. "I--can't--breathe!"

"Neither!" declared Laralita happily. "It's too exciting! Oh, my darling little sister! This shall be just like when we were girls... except instead of our parents and siblings, we'll have your children and your husband!"

Her husband. Oh dear God--what was she going to tell Severin? Could she honestly do this to him--and on his birthday, no less?

Turning away from Laralita, she hurriedly scooped up Searle and held him close, softly whispering into his little ear. "Your father is going to hate me..."

"Papa!" exclaimed Jadin from the floor as the door creaked open.

...damn.

"Jadin, Raia, Searle," Severin addressed his children in turn. "Princess... uh..."

She turned around and met his eyes. Out of politeness, he was silent, but the look on his face clearly stated "That woman had better not be who I think she is."

Alina sighed--the woman was most definitely who he thought she was.

"Severin!" squealed Laralita, throwing herself upon as though he were some adored grandparent; he hugged her back stiffly, but looked as though he felt his hands could be put to much better use by strangling her. "My brother! I haven't seen you in years! It's been so dreadfully long!"

"Not nearly long enough," he growled in reply.

Laralita giggled, lightly slapping him on the shoulder. "Oh, I've forgotten what a delightful sense of humor you have! We're going to have so much fun together!"

Severin glowered. "Fun?" he repeated bitterly. "What do you mean?"

She laughed prettily, grinning like a woman whose husband was alive and well. "Oh, I'm getting ahead of myself! I'm going to be staying with you until my baby comes in May."

Alina chanced a quick glance Severin's way; if his expression was any indication, he could breath fire. "May?"

"Oh, don't worry," Laralita assured him. "I can't really go all the way back to Bandera with a newborn, can I? I'll be here a few months longer, no need to worry. Maybe I might even have to stay until she's a year old... although by that time, I suppose she'll be rather attached to her cousins, and it would be cruel to separate her from her friends and take her to some distant kingdom she's never even seen, so maybe we might even stay longer than that. Of course, if we wait until she gets married, then I might be too old to venture all the way back to Dovia, so... oh, I'd better go pick my room! I shall see you at supper, brother!"

"I seem to have lost my appetite," he hissed as Laralita filed through the door.

"Oh, but you're so thin, Severin!" she moaned concernedly, stepping into the corridor. "Although perhaps that's just because you and my sister are getting too much exercise. Maybe start having sex less--not good for that heart, you know. Of course... I do know who your father is, so maybe it's just in your blood. Alina, maybe you should lock your pretty young maid away--and when her baby comes, make sure to get a good look at it."

He wanted to kill her, Alina was sure of it--not that she blamed him. In fact, she thought if Laralita kept this up, she herself might beat him to it.

The door closed. Scowling, Severin took a few deep breaths, then turned to face her. "Princess... what in holy hellfire is she doing here?"

"She said she thought it would be good for her to get away from Dovia following Karlspan's death," she informed him, gesturing for an inquiring-eyed Raia to mind her own business. "Look, I know she's the most tactless person who ever walked the planet, but she is my sister. She doesn't mean anything she says, you have to realize--she'll say absolutely anything that comes into her head."

"Tactless? Alina, the woman just declared that she thinks Nora's baby is mine! 'Tactless' is not a strong enough word for what she is!"

"I know," she insisted, lowering Searle to the ground once more. "She also told me that I should have married Rudolphus because his genes are wasted in conjunction with Eudocia's and that Raia won't marry any higher than a baron. Believe me, it's not as though she has it in for you--she makes a point to insult everyone. Oh, and by the way..." she added, desperate for some way to cheer him up.

"...happy birthday."

NEXT CHAPTER:

12 comments:

Van said...

Just in case any clarification is needed, yes, Laralita's husband is the guy whose death Roderick was informed of in the last post.

Phoenix said...

OH Maaaaaaaaan!! That would suck! *shudders* Does she EVER stop talking? She's gonna be around awhile then huh? *sigh*

NO!!! I'm at work and can't see the teaser pic that will make me happy!!! Is it THE death post? Please let it be the death post! I'm just saying!:P

Van said...

Very rarely. I don't think she's a spiteful person at heart, but she's ridiculously insensitive and as Alina mused, she does like the sound of her own voice a little too much.

You'll like the next post. Promise :)

eclectictsunami said...

Worst birthday present ever, indeed. Poor Severin.

I hope Alina can grow to be content with what she has, or this problem is going to haunt her for the rest of her adult life. :( You have a wonderful husband and children, Alina! And you're still young!

Van said...

Severin has not had the best of luck with visiting relatives this year :(

Alina's prone to some pretty whacked-out, extreme postpartum depression. These days, she could get help for that, but back then, it wasn't really viewed as a medical condition. If she gives any indication of her unhappiness, people will probably start thinking she's going mad. So her solution? Get pregnant again! Of course, that's really not helping, since it's happened with all four of her babies...

Penelope said...

Biting her lip, Alina shook her head. "I'm sorry, sweetie, but you're twenty-five."

LMAO!

Oh this was hilarious. That woman is out of control. And Nora is pregnant and showing! But it seems like just yesterday that she was accepting that wood carver's proposal.

I guess this means Alina will be out of a maid soon. Nora won't be able to make it to the castle.

Penelope said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
thewynd said...

I finally made it! I am up to date and I can't believe it. What an amazing world! I really feel like I know these characters so well and yeah I have a few favorites! I love the humor you inject and am completely hooked.

cheripye said...

Ok the preview pic for the next chapter looks awfully suspicious.

I love Alina and Severin, and her sister is a piece of work!!! LOL! inviting herself to stay and then insisting it be for a year.

This is a great story had me enthralled from start to finish, great characterization. You convey them well and your writing is excellent!

Van said...

Pen: Oh yeah, it was a sick delight, writing this post. These passively bitchy women are soooo much fun to write.

Fortunately, Nora's house is pretty close to the castle, but yeah, she'll need some maternity leave. Of course, there's always Falidor--steward, nanny, and now maid! Weeeee!

Gayl: Yaaaaay! Glad to hear you're enjoying it! I'm glad the characters are sticking with you, because a few times in the past I've had some issues with keeping characters consistent and it's always a major struggle for me. But it's good to hear that it's not too big of a problem :D

Cheri: Also yaaaaay! Oh man, Laralita... the first few posts of 1159 will practically revolve around her. But I'm looking forward to the drama she could potentially brew up.

Thanks. I'm happy you're enjoying it so far :D

Unknown said...

Ok, I add Laralita to my favorite characters list. She's so hilarious! I do hope she stays around for quite some time.

And is it just me, or would she and Roderick make a great couple?

Van said...

Oooooh, hold that thought! :P