July 16, 2009

In Which Florian Sees Old Eyes on a New Face

February 16, 1159

Florian couldn't be sure whether he preferred Halford poking at the fire or Goodwife Noth--it seemed that either way, he was confronted by the sight of a rather undesirable ass. He kind of wished that Halford would go into the bedroom and help with the delivery so that Honora could tend the fire instead.

But then again, that would involve Halford ogling parts of Thetis he'd rather not have any other man see, so maybe it was better this way.

Out of the corner of his eye, he cast a quick glance toward Adonis and the baron, who were seated at the kitchen table. They didn't seem to be speaking much, save for the occasional inaudible murmur, but Florian caught several anxious glances between the two of them--it was obvious what they were thinking, and really, he couldn't deny that it was on his own mind as well.

Really... how could it not have been?

"She'll be fine, Florian," Lord Severin tried to assure him from the other couch. "I was there when she had the twins. They were both fairly large babies, and she was this tiny fourteen-year-old girl, and she managed far better than many grown women would have."

However, Florian wasn't convinced--and he really wasn't all that sure that Severin was either.

"I want to believe you," he muttered in reply at last, hardly daring to make eye contact.

Severin nodded. "I know."

The moments ticked on, the occasional moan of pain or soothing feminine voice passing through the bedroom wall. They might have annoyed the others, but Florian, for one, was grateful for the sounds--if Thetis could scream, then she was still alive.

"Florian," Halford addressed him gruffly, "I know what you're thinking."

Florian sighed. "Halford..."

"No. Look, I've known Arydath her whole life," the bigger man began. "Under her watch, the chance of something going wrong is one in a million--and as painful as it is, we both know there's already been a 'one'. I know it's hard after what happened last time, but... trust my wife. And trust yours too."

"You know, he's right," agreed Severin. "Have a little faith in your wife. Deep down, that girl's a fighter if I've ever seen one."

He opened his mouth to reply, but all of a sudden, he was silenced by the most beautiful sound in the world.

It was a baby. A crying, squealing, colicky--and very much alive--baby.

And then... a sigh. A mother's sigh. A living mother's sigh.

"Did you hear that?" he demanded, leaping to his feet. "They're alive!"

Halford chuckled. "I told you."

"Go to them," Severin urged him. "No sense staying back here with us, is there? You know you'd rather be with them."

It was true--not like it was much of a choice, really.

Nodding, Florian quietly brushed through the gap between the couch and the wall and turned into the small corridor that led to the bedroom door. So far, everything sounded good... but how long would it last? Anything could happen, couldn't it?

The door swung open to reveal Goodwife Noth, a tiny baby in her arms. "Well, Master Tumekrin," his housekeeper scolded, catching him off-guard somewhat, "I'm very disappointed in you."

Florian raised an eyebrow. "Sorry?"

"You said you didn't touch the girl," she reminded him. "You said it was her first husband's."

He shrugged. "It probably is."

"Unless her first husband also had your eyes, I don't think so."

Sure enough--he'd never seen Norwan, but he knew those eyes. They were one of the few things he remembered about his father--his papa's eyes. Setran's eyes. His eyes.

And here again they were, familiar eyes on an unfamiliar face, a patchwork of Thetis's and his own that had been stitched together in a shockingly pleasing arrangement.

"Er, what... kind is it?" he asked as Goodwife Noth placed the baby in his arms; she was a lot lighter than Setran or Evera had been. He didn't know whether or not that was a good thing.

"It's a girl," she answered. "Your daughter. The mistress wants you to name her."

"Well... she's my mother's first granddaughter, I suppose," he mused aloud, "so I should probably name her Alyssin, for her."

Goodwife Noth closed her eyes and smiled. "Alyssin. That's a pretty name."

"For a pretty girl," Florian agreed as he held the baby close, surprised by just how warm she was. "How's Thetis?"

"She's well, but very tired. She was falling asleep when I left--don't expect her to wake before midday tomorrow."

"Midday tomorrow," he sighed. "Great. Just great; that's two consecutive chaste wedding nights for me. Two! The next time I get married, there'd better be sex--and it better be mind-blowingly good."

NEXT CHAPTER:

9 comments:

Penelope said...

HAHAHahahaHAHA! Oh boy.

Florian, I think the sex was out of the question the moment Thetis went into labor regardless of how long she was going to sleep. Unless she's into agony, which I don't suppose she is.

Actually, come to think of it, what is the wait time after giving birth? Two, three months?

Heheheheh "What kind is it?" Florian has such a way with words.

thewynd said...

Hehe that is what I love about Florian. He is such a crackup! No surprise that he was freaked out about the birth and the completely pessimistic way he looks at the world is oddly refreshing...

LOL Pen! I'm told 6 weeks although some women give birth to their second 9 months and 5 minutes after the first...

Van said...

Pen: Yeah, I don't think Thetis is into that sort of thing. It would be kind of funny if she secretly was, though, since she's sooo not the type.

I probably got the "What kind is it?" from somewhere, but I have no idea exactly where that might have been.

Gayl: That is the thing that defines Florian :)

Six weeks sounds about right, but I don't have any kids, so I wouldn't know for sure. Of course, it probably depends on the couple too. Like, I can see Florian and Thetis waiting that amount of time, but can you imagine, say, Severin and Alina abstaining for six whole agonizing weeks? Or Geneva and the man of the month?

Heh. I suppose we shall see... although the next post isn't until November, so I'm thinking it's safe to say Florian will not be complaining about his lack of sex the next time we see him.

Phoenix said...

FLORIAN IS AWESOME!!!!!

that is all. Except:

YAY!!! The baby is his!!!!:D

Van said...

I was happy about that too. You see, what I did was I had Thetis try for baby alternately with Norwan and Florian until one of them knocked her up. I had Norwan go first since he was the one who, statistically, had the higher chance of being the father. He failed, so Florian came in and capitalized.

cheripye said...

Only Florian would be considering ass. LOL! at such a time. Then again at least he is totally and completely in love with Thetis, espiecially when he doesnt want anyone ogling parts unless it's him. LOL! And trust in him to think like such, always the practical! if she could still scream she was still alive, utterly perfect! especially as he thought of uhm... Sorry I forgot her name, his first wife. 80)

And of Course THETIS, is a fighter, she would never leave behind her hard earned prize, LOL! and yay a new baby! Allyson! that one line 'a living mothers sigh' is utterly perfect, it definately captured Florian's emotions towards this happy event. 80)

LMAO! Noth and her disappointment, LOL! I am sure she was a bit dissapointed that he hadnt been truthful, actually I could almost envision her eyes smiling as she said it! and how utterly hilarious that he is thinking about how long he has gone without. Well two days is nothing I supppose, because now that she has had the baby it will mean longer. LOL!

Oh dear please dont let him cheat! just had to get that out of my system, I adore Florian and Thetis together and I want her to be happy especially after that jerk that was her husband. LOL!


Great update great screens!!! and November?! wait did I miss something somewhere? LOL! not that I am available until sometime around then too, LOL!

Van said...

Ass is never particularly far from the mind of Florian--although while he has Thetis, he's only going to look.

Yeah, I don't think Florian is at risk of actually, physically cheating. A lot of his comments are just talk :P

Oh, by November I meant November in Naroni time, not real time, lol.

Verity said...

Phew! I'm so glad the baby is his. What a relief... now they can really carry on happily.

Florian is so hilarious... thinking about Halford's unappealing ass and the no sex on either wedding night :D

Van said...

Florian's mind is a funny place, that's for sure. Perhaps I should be somewhat worried, though, since it seems that his point of view is one of the ones that comes more easily to me *sigh*