January 7, 2011

In Which Sparron Is Unscandalized

June 8, 1171

"All right, let's get this over with." Camaline's pacing came to an abrupt halt as she spun around to face Sparron. They had been in the room for several minutes of awkward coexistence and it was about time that one of them broke the silence, but Sparron wasn't sure he wanted to hear what she had to say. She was a princess--not to mention, King Roderick's daughter and Ietrin's sister--and she had expectations, and there were bound to be a few that he could never meet. He could lie to her--he would lie to her--but he did not think he wanted to start doing so before it was necessary. There would be plenty of time for deception after they were married.

A strand of flaxen hair fell across his betrothed's flawless-yet-soulless face; annoyed, she flicked it to the side, then stared down at him. "I don't like you, and you don't like me, but we're going to have to live with each other--and come September, my problem will be yours as well, so I suppose it would be wrong of me not to give you fair warning."

She took a quick breath, then glanced toward the door, as if afraid to be overheard. Sparron pulled himself out of his slouch; not only was it ironic that she was the one making a confession, but he doubted she'd speak in much more than a whisper. "I'm fourteen years, five months, and nine days old--and I've yet to have a single monthly course."

It took him a few seconds to process the statement; all he could muster in reply was a blank stare. Camaline, however, didn't seem to be looking for a response. "I've deceived my father and stepmother into thinking otherwise, and I plan to keep playing that little game with them until I'm safely married and such things are no longer their concern. Your stepmother will be sympathetic, since she herself didn't start until she was older than I am, but I figured that you and your father may feel cheated; if that is the case, then you have my apologies, but you must understand by now that my parents aren't exactly bearable."

Well, that went without saying. Camaline sniffed, then frowned at him. "So I hope you aren't expecting a child any time soon after we get married--for all I know, it could be years before I finally start."

Sparron looked up at her and squinted. It must have been awful to be a woman; everything in a girl's life revolved around popping out baby after baby until she finally dried out, and woe to any woman who couldn't do that. A girl like Camaline surely didn't even care to be a mother in the first place--why couldn't she just live as she wanted to live? Hell, why couldn't he just live as he wanted to live, all guilt and fear of judgment forgotten? What a stupid world. "I don't care. I don't think I want to be a father at fifteen anyway."

"Well, good--you probably won't be." She stepped to the side, then fell back onto the couch, just to Sparron's right. "But what if I never get my courses? You wouldn't send me to a nunnery, would you?"

Was that the cruel fate reserved for women who didn't produce children? A slight distaste in his mouth, Sparron shook his head. "If you never get your courses, then I suppose my brother will be baron when I die."

"In that case, thank you." Camaline's slender finger traced the piping on her dress and picked at a stray thread. Sparron raised an eyebrow; it wasn't like his betrothed to fidget. "This is ridiculous--I don't even want children."

"I wouldn't mind them." He took his eyes off her fiddling hand and shrugged; in truth, he might have wanted at least three or four, but then again, that did require bedding a girl. "Then again, I don't feel as though I absolutely need them. Tell you what: if you get your courses, then we'll try for an heir, but that's it."

"Deal." She folded her arms against her chest and scrunched up her nose, her scowling lips laced with a hint of disgust. "I hope you won't take offense, but the thought of sex with you is nauseating."

Regardless of everything, that did sting a little; figuring he'd been enough of a gentleman already, he glared at her. "I can assure you, the feeling's mutual."

"Hmph." Camaline sunk further into her seat and pouted. "Ah, just as well--if you must know, I don't much care for men at all."

"Oh, well who do you care for, then? Wom--?"

...Wait a minute. He'd meant to be sarcastic, but now that the thought had entered his head... could that possibly...?

Camaline's brow arched. "Excuse me?"

"I'm serious." He edged closer and slung his arm around her shoulders; she seemed startled by the contact, but didn't shy away. "If you could have anyone in the world in your bed right now--be honest with me--would it be a woman instead of a man?"

She gaped at him for a moment, then smirked. "You seem quite unscandalized by that idea."

"Is that a 'yes'?"

She leaned against his body and sighed--much more like his sister would have done than Searle might have in the luxury of a locked room. "Why would you want to know?"

He rested his head against hers and smiled. Finally--after all these torturous, lonely months--he'd found someone who understood. "Because, your highness... I think we might have quite a bit to talk about."

NEXT CHAPTER:

14 comments:

Kiri said...

Oh Good! It's sounds like they might have some common ground that may make the marriage bearable.

Van said...

It's so ironic (and so convenient!) that of every pair of kids in the kingdom, these two just happened to be promised to each other :P

J A Murphy said...

I'm so glad Sparron has found a little sunshine in his life, even if it is slightly unconventional *lol* Hopefully this means that both he and Camaline can relax and be themselves a little more.

Van said...

I'm sure they'll both be a little more comfortable now :)

Granted, they'll still be living in a castle full of people they feel they have to hide from, but at least they'll have each other.

S.B. said...

I'm sorry I missed comments on your last couple of updates; I've been reading just indescribably distracted right now.

As much as I dislike Camaline, she'll be a good match for Sparron. He can get past the princess attitude. They can figure out a way to work with one another to avoid discovery. Poor kids. What an awful life.

Epi said...

This is actually one of my favourite chapters so far, very sweet without going over the top.

Their's might even turn out to be a quite affable arrangement!

Anonymous said...

Sparron seems to be taking the thought of no kids much better than Octavius took it oh-so-many-years-ago. Then again, there are extenuating circumstances for Sparron.

And now he's got a safety valve, i.e., someone to talk to in the form of Camaline! So with any luck he won't go the way his mother did.

I liked Sparron's thoughts about what a rotten world it is, and why people can't just be who they are and everyone else can't just shut up about it. *sigh* Sucks that the world works like that.

Van said...

Beth: Don't worry about it. I haven't been commenting as much as I should either lately, and your reasons are probably much better than mine.

But yeah, I think in Sparron's eyes, Camaline just gained a plus so huge and invaluable that all the minuses no longer matter. But yeah, it's still going to be tough sluggin' for both of them :(

Epi: Really? Thanks :) That means a lot, seeing as I'm never really sure of my more recent chapters.

I think if nothing else, this is the start of a beautiful friendship for these two :)

Morgaine: Yeah, Sparron seems okay with the thought of no kids. Maybe he's been thinking about what life might be like if he was allowed to be with Searle, and obviously there would be no kids for him there, or at least none that were biologically his. And then there's his age--good luck finding a fifteen-year-old boy who wants to be a daddy any time soon.

In contrast, Octavius was twenty-two when he married Medea--still youngish by today's standards, but a more convenient age for reproduction than fifteen, definitely. And there was nothing wrong with Medea's fertility, and he had no reason to suspect that there was; she just didn't want to get pregnant and wouldn't let him into her bed. And aside from that... I don't know, just personal preference? Dude just really wanted kids for some reason. Sparron seems to have more of a "take it or leave it" sort of attitude.

But yeah, the introduction of a confidante in Sparron's life will be helpful for him, I think. At least he can let it all out now.

Thanks! I'll admit that one of the things I like about doing a "Times"-esque piece of work is seeing how many bits of modern conversational philosophy and I stick in :P

The Lunar Fox said...

I am so glad that these two have found common ground! because otherwise I don't see them getting along very well.

Sparron is such a cutie though. Seriously. A good kind gentleman.

Van said...

Yeah, they don't really have the most compatible of personalities. It's nice that they've found some unlikely allies in each other, though :)

The more I see of Sparron, the more I love him. He's just so deep :)

Verity said...

I have so been waiting for a chapter with these two. Ironically I think they are my favourite couple (as in, I find their forced betrothal to be the most fascinating). I can see them becoming great friends.

I love how thoughtful Sparron is. That when Camaline told him about her courses he didn't go straight into thinking what that would mean for him, but more thought about how hard it must be for her. I think he might be my favourite character!

Van said...

Funnily enough, I'd been waiting to write a chapter with these two :)

That's one of the things I love about Sparron. He is very thoughtful--which sometimes leads to brooding tendencies, but I think that sensitive side of his was very well put to use here. Somebody like Ietrin or even Jadin could have easily started thinking along the "Oh shit, no heir" lines, but Sparron... not so much. He seems to have some perspective.

Anonymous said...

I can see these two becoming friends. If they do, I bet their marriage will be one of the best ever, where there's mutual respect and support involved without the love. Oh the possibilities!

Van said...

They do have the potential for an interesting relationship here. Stay tuned... :)