January 26, 2011

In Which Asalaye Employs the Intimidating Feature

October 15, 1171

"Oh dear God." Asalaye groaned as she caught sight of the dark-haired boy walking toward her from the direction of the village center. She supposed she was in a good enough mood to handle him, but she didn't want to run the risk of ruining her high spirits--she did have to make an impression, after all. "Why is it that every time I'm in town, you always happen to be here too?"

That same insufferable grin on his face, Lonriad came to a halt a few feet in front of her and rocked back and forth on his heels. "The universe is full of coincidences, you know; if you'd rather not run into me, then I guess you're going to have to take it up with the big man up in Heaven."

"Don't think I won't." Annoyed, she leaned back, resting her hands against the fence behind her, but sprang back when her palm caught a sliver--somehow, this had to be Lonriad's fault. "What are you doing here, anyway? Don't you have servants to run errands for you?"

"Actually, I was visiting my grandmother--she does live in town, you know."

Asalaye rolled her eyes. "Oh, I'm sure. Out with it; why are you really here?"

His smile never vanished; if anything, it widened. "Well... I did visit my grandmother, really. But I also heard that the chausser's wife had a baby that looked exactly like Jadin, and I just had to see that for myself."

She snorted; regardless of the source, that actually was rather amusing. "Are the rumors true, then?"

Lonriad nodded. "It's uncanny."

"Guess that's what you get for being a chausser--you spend so much time in tights that your wife has to find someone else who's actually willing to get out of his."

"Not that it's hard when you look like her!" Lonriad ran his hand through his hair, a dreamy look on his face. Asalaye glowered at him, but he was too far gone to notice--idiot! "I mean, have you seen that bosom? It's almost as magnificent as the baroness's! Lucky Jadin-baby, getting to suckle those puppies..."

That was not a mental image for the faint of heart; a bit of nausea welling at the base of her throat, Asalaye shuddered. "Ew."

"Speak for yourself, Laya--mind you, you'll probably fill out nice yourself. A pity you have such an enormous nose, really."

"All right, say that again, and don't think I won't knee you in the balls."

"What? You'll fill out nice? Your nose could cover the shire when it rains?"

"No." She crossed her arms and smirked. "My name is Asalaye."

Lonriad snickered. "Ass-lay."

...Oh dear God. "Laya it is, then."

"What?" The corners of his mouth hadn't turned downward in the entire time they'd been speaking, and clearly they weren't about to now; if anything, they rose. His teeth, she noticed, were a startling white. "All these years and you never noticed that--and your parents never noticed that? Where did they get the name from, anyway?"

"Oh, it was her grandmother's name."

Her heart suddenly a flutter, Asalaye turned around to see Cord stepping out of the shepherd's barn. It had only been a week or so since she'd last seen him, but he seemed to have grown taller in that time--broader too. Of course, he was fourteen--not some scrawny twelve-year-old imbecile with ridiculously great teeth. "Hello, Cord."

He sent a wink her way, then strode past the sheep lingering by the door and into the open pasture. "Hello, Asalaye--personally, I've always liked your name."

She turned around for a second just to stick her tongue out at Lonriad; oddly enough, he didn't return the gesture. "I thought he was your stepsister's sweetheart?"

"Oh, they decided to just be friends," Asalaye dismissed. "Melria's sweet on the bookseller's son now; I think he looks like a goat, but to each their own."

Lonriad sniffed. "I don't know--with a great big beak like that, you can't exactly afford to be picky, can you?"

Stopping just short of the fence, Cord sent a warm smile Asalaye's way, then glanced past her toward Lonriad. "Is he bothering you?"

"No, he was just leaving." She placed her hands on her hips and employed her steeliest stare; if there was one advantage to having a large, ugly nose, it was that it made it easier to look intimidating. "Weren't you?"

Lonriad's eyelid twitched For a triumphant, perhaps delusional second, she thought he might run away crying--but instead, he only shrugged. "Might as well, I suppose; between the two of you, my average-sized nose is starting to feel a bit out of place."

NEXT CHAPTER:

17 comments:

Van said...

After that wedding, I think I need to do some updating on the still-uncompleted character CC lists... *sigh*

Also, OMGRAIASBABYHASBEENBORNINMYGAME!!!!! :D

...not for a while yet in the story, though.

Also, did you guys know that fences apparently act like walls in some senses? You can't build on top of them (at least, not without cheats), but apparently they establish room boundaries. I kept waiting for Cord to smile over the fence at Laya, but he never did--because apparently he couldn't see her. Sim stupidity never fails to amaze me O_o

Penelope said...

Oh don't even get me started on sim stupidity. The other day, I was in my RKC neighborhood and I jumped up to make some tea, forgetting to pause the game. When I returned ten minutes later, both infants were on the kitchen floor with dirty diapers and like 8 bottles of rancid milk. The child was over-heating while jumping on the bed. And where were Mom and Dad? Outside playing chess with hunger desperation and nearly exploding bladders. I had to exit without saving which meant that the mother had to give birth to a completely new set of twins.

hehehehe Is that really Jadin's baby? Lonriad is a twerp. I just want to pluck him in the back of the head. His twerpiness isn't even loveable twerpiness like Jadin's is. It's just really twerpy twerpiness.

Van said...

Artificial non-intelligence at its finest :S

Lonriad is a brat--but luckily, he has plenty of time to outgrow it. His dad was a brat at that age too, and not necessarily the most lovable one.

Epi said...

The sons of Severin all seem to have inherited a certain amount of lovable prattishness from their grandfather.

I guess in Lonriad's case it is exacerbated by the name they chose...

Van said...

That they did--and the name does seem to have some unfortunate consequences :P

Anonymous said...

I actually thought Lonriad was cute!! He's trying to get the girl's attention by pulling on her pigtails and sticking his tongue out at her. Severin did the same thing with Alina, and it was adorable!

... Ok, ok, openly talking about another woman's breasts is probably not the way to win your true love's affection forever and aye, but Lonriad's a twelve-year-old boy. Unless you're like Sparron ... boobs are definitely going to be a big subject of thought.

But still, I think he's got lots of potential. A true scion of Severin and Alina!

And did you say RAIABABIEZ?!?

Van said...

Lonriad is cute in the sense that the rabbit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail is cute ;)

But yeah, he is at that age where he's just starting to get interested in girls (we know his brothers took him to a brothel at least once), and boobs are the center of the universe as far as Lonriad is concerned :S

Interesting that you mention the Severin/Alina parallel. I see a lot of Young Severin in Lonriad, moreso than I do in Jadin or Searle at this point (although they're both also like their dad in their own ways). I also see the similarities between the Lonriad/Asalaye dynamic and the pre-Naroni Severin/Alina dynamic we get from time to time in Dovia Diaries. Watch this space...

(Although for the record, Cord > Rudolphus, or at least from what we can see here.)

Just the one Raia baby right now, fortunately. I can't imagine Raia would be thrilled with twins :S

The Lunar Fox said...

I can't help but to think that she's doomed when Lonriad grows older and manages to learn how to wield that prattish charm of his.

Van said...

It might be worth noting that not only will Lonriad grow up to be a knight (as opposed to Cord, who is and will probably always be a pig farmer), but he will also end up being very, very good-looking ;)

thewynd said...

I have to wonder whether some of Asalaye's remarks step from similar feelings toward Lonriad. He grows up a hottie eh? Not surprised. At all.

But seriously you would think he'd know he was being terribly insulting. Not the way to a girl's heart at all.

Van said...

Kid ends up better looking than his brothers. Better looking than his dad, even.

And for someone she supposedly hates, Asalaye seems quite fixated on Lonriad...

He seems to be going about the "pulling pigtails" route. He's still pretty young, so I guess he hasn't figured out that it doesn't really work.

thewynd said...

Kid ends up better looking than his brothers. Better looking than his dad, even.

Not. Possible.

Van said...

Grown-up Lonriad.

thewynd said...

Ooh very good-looking is right. Hard to push his father aside though. But I'm biased. ;)

Van said...

Heheh :D

Anonymous said...

I may be biased towards tall, dark, handsome men but DAMN. Lonriad will be hard to resist. Laya, you'd better watch out.

Also, LONRIAD/LAYA IS MY NEW OTP. I can definitely see the Severin/Alina parallels. I have to wonder, though, will Lonriad go as far as his father and elope with another man's bride?

And really, can you blame Laya for her mixed feelings towards Lonriad? It's hard falling for a douche. Because,
A) He's a douchey douche.
B) In this case, he's a douche who might never go further than shagging her, for all she knows.

Van said...

Squeeee! I never thought I'd see the day when the phrase "OTP" was applied to anyone in my story :)

But yeah, the Severin/Alina parallels are all over the place. But as for what Lonriad will do, I guess that remains to be seen :)

But yeah, he is kind of a douche, at least at this point in his life :P He might grow up a bit, though.