November 12, 2010

In Which Severin Crosses the Chasm

September 8, 1170

"Searle, please let me in." Severin released the handle and leaned against the door, waiting in vain for a response he didn't expect to hear. This inexplicable moping had been going on for weeks now, and every time he'd tried to talk to the boy, he'd been hastily brushed off--I don't want to talk about it this or You wouldn't understand that. Wouldn't understand. He understood enough--he understood that his baby was hurting. "Searle..."

"Go away!" It was not a cry of rage, but of anguish. As far as Severin knew, he had little to do with Searle's uncharacteristic change of mood, and there was nothing in his son's voice to betray otherwise. He wasn't the cause of this--and yet, as a father, he couldn't help but feel somewhat responsible. He had to make sure his boy was all right.

"Searle, don't think I won't pick the lock." All he heard in reply was a muffled sob. True to his word, Severin pulled a lock-pick from the pouch on his belt and jammed it into the keyhole. He fiddled with it for a minute or so before he heard the brief click! of a triggered mechanism, then pushed the door open and stepped into Searle's bedroom.

He found his son curled up on the bed, back toward him. Searle had been growing like a weed for the past few months, but he suddenly looked as small and frail as the day Goodwife Diarn had first placed him in Severin's arms. Was that really thirteen years ago now? His boy was getting older--all of his children were--and while it was a bittersweet concept, it was a fact of life that would take its course whether he liked it or not. There were two things Severin knew about growing up, and one of them was that it was inevitable.

The other was that it was tough. "Son? Won't you tell me what's wrong? I just want to know if there's anything I can do to help."

Searle stirred somewhat; then, his body shaking, he slung his legs over the side of the bed and pulled himself to his trembling, still growing feet. "Well, there isn't."

"Are you sure?" The boy trudged to the foot of the bed and nodded. Severin's stomach lurched; it was physically painful to see his bright, lively son so disheartened and resigned. "Will you at least tell me what's wrong, then?"

Rigid, his son looked to the empty toes of his precautionarily large boots, then stated in a whisper that was more breath than voice, "I think I like someone."

Severin sighed. Like everything else, it had only ever been a matter of time before his children started showing interests. He often caught Raia's eyes following men as they walked by, men he supposed she might have deemed handsome, and there was little doubt in his mind that she had been kissed--several times, perhaps. Jadin was even less discrete; Lonriad, ever the scheming young rascal, had tipped Nora off about a pile of discarded garters under his brother's bed only a month prior. Knowing the line from which they sprang and that he himself was no exception, none of these developments had come as a great shock to Severin, nor did Searle's admission. "Ah, kiddo, that's not necessarily a bad thing."

"Yes, it is." Searle bowed his head and clasped his hands together, folding into himself and shrinking away. "It's someone I can't have."

His eyes widened at his own daring, as if he feared he'd given too much away. Perhaps he was worried he'd be seen as some sort of lustful sinner. If that was the case, he needn't have been concerned. He was just a kid; any feelings he had for some unobtainable girl at his age were unlikely to linger long.

Then again, Severin too had loved someone when he was just a kid. "Once upon a time, I couldn't have had your mother."

He crossed his arms and waited for the boy to say something--anything. He'd hoped that the mention of Alina would prove to be a reassurance of sorts, some sacred thing in which Searle could only find comfort; instead, the boy only shook his head. "It's nothing like that, Father. Mother liked you too... or, at least she could admit to liking you."

"Admit to liking me?" What an absurd notion; if not for the serious nature of their talk, he might have laughed. "Searle, your mother never 'admitted to liking me', as you put it, until she agreed to marry me."

"It's still different." Searle tilted back his head, a suspicious glint streaming down his face from the corner of his eye. "I mean... I don't know. It's not like anything can ever happen anyway."

Severin nodded, his heart sitting a little higher in his chest now; if his son could bring himself to voice that thought, then he would grow to be a wiser man than he himself had ever been. At the same time, however, resignation was not a thing he cared to encourage. "I suppose you'll just have to wait and see."

Searle shrugged. "I guess so..."

"As for right now, I'm glad to know that you are respectful enough not to force anything." Severin reached for the boy's face and wiped the lone tear away with the back of his hand. "You know how I feel about children being forced into betrothals--am I right in assuming that the object of your affections has been promised to another?" Somber, Searle nodded; Severin pulled him into a firm hug and sighed. "In that case, it would be wise to watch the boundaries, or at least be discreet about your feelings; if it's meant to be, it'll happen when the time is right."

"And what if it's not?" Searle sniffled from the woolen refuge of Severin's shoulder.

"Well... you're very young." He realized the irony in giving his son the same advice that his father had so unjustly wielded against him all those years ago, but now that he stood on the other side of the chasm, he could see the wisdom in it now, even if his own situation had proven an exception. "Just because you fancy someone at thirteen doesn't mean you'll love them at thirty. You still have plenty of time to figure out who you are and what it is you need in a woman. For all I know, this mysterious sweetheart of yours might be perfect for you, but it's a little too early to tell. Wouldn't you agree?"

"I guess." Searle nestled his head into the groove of Severin's neck. "I hope you're right, anyway. No one would let us be together anyway."

Severin tightened the embrace. Whatever was going on, he wanted his son to know that he would be there for him. "Searle, all I ask of any future in-law is that they make my child happy; as long as the one you love does just that, you will hear no objections from me."

Searle said nothing.

NEXT CHAPTER:

11 comments:

Van said...

Sorry that this wasn't up last night.

Anyway, there's a fun little meme-type game going around on LiveJournal, and after participating in a few other people's, I decided to post one of my own, just for kicks. LJ is down for maintenance right now and will be for a couple hours, I think, but if you're interested in participating in this little game, it can be found here whenever LJ gets back up.

Anonymous said...

Severin is being such a good dad -- not that that's news. The real test will be (if it comes) when Searle tells him just who it is that he can't have.

Part of me wants to think that Severin will take it in stride, considering he was able to take a different Searle's far ookier relationship in stride. But this might be where Severin's medieval mind does a big WTF. We'll just have to see!

(I liked him picking the lock, btw. It was a nice touch.)

And hmm ... Is Jadin going to get himself another pair of garters there? And is Lorn going to have to kick Jadin's ass after this next post?

Van said...

Wow, that was fast!

Yeah, I haven't really thought about how Severin might react if he knew exactly who it was Searle was talking about. If this was set in a modern time, he'd definitely be on-board with it, but since it's the 12th century... I don't know. I have time to figure it out. But you're right, he did react well to the incest thing, so...

As for Jadin and Xeta's activities... stay tuned :)

thewynd said...

I agree that the lock picking was a Severin move for sure. I love him. Great dad. Great guy. If only he truly understood. Somehow I do think he would struggle with the truth behind Searle's crush.

Did I mention I love Severin?

Van said...

Yeah, I wonder if he'd understand. I guess we'll just have to wait and see :S

I love him too. I hope he can handle the truth if he ever finds out.

S.B. said...

I love Severin. He is certainly trying to be reassuring, which is the best tact to take with a 13 yr old. Telling Searle that he may never get what he wants and just get over it would be the wrong way to handle the situation.

Do I think he could deal with the truth though? I doubt it.

Beautifully, beautifully written.

Van said...

Yeah, I figured I couldn't have him just tell Searle to get over it. You know how thirteen-year-old kids are with their early crushes, thinking that no one has ever like that loved before. Searle is a sensitive kid, and Severin knows that, so he had to take a more sensitive approach.

I have no immediate plans for Severin to find out exactly who Searle's pining for, but my vague vision of the future may require that he does at some point. I guess we'll just have to see how he reacts :S

Thanks Beth :)

Penelope said...

As admirable and modern as Severin is, I can't imagine him understanding this one.

Van said...

Like I said, I don't see him finding out any time soon, but it might not be pretty :S

Verity said...

Poor little Searle. This is so hard. And I know Severin is a really great dad, but even he in his open-mindedness will probably not be okay with this :(. Stupid medieval times :(.

Van said...

Searle could use a hug, that's for sure. The Times suck :(

As for Severin, I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I'd be reluctant to tell him too if I was Searle :S