July 12, 2009

In Which Roderick Orchestrates a Potential Scandal

January 5, 1159

"So let me get this straight. Karlspan's wife has been staying with you since October, and only now do you invite me for supper?" demanded Roderick through his teeth. It would have been nice, in this time of tragedy, to speak to the wife of his late brother. Perhaps she could shed some light on the situation, and help him put to rest the whole affair with Geneva and her family.

Smiling rather awkwardly, Severin nodded. "I'm sorry, Roderick. If I'd known you wanted to see her, I would have told you sooner... but I suppose we just wanted to hoard to ourselves the delight that is Laralita," he finished with a wide flash of his white teeth. "You've met her before, I presume? You were married to her husband's sister, after all."

"Indeed. I have met her before, but always in the company of a large group of people. It has been years since I last saw her, and this will be the first time I have ever spoken with her in an intimate environment."

At the sound of the word 'intimate', Severin's brow twitched--for some reason or another.

"Well, that's a shame, since I'm sure you'll get along swimmingly," he insisted. "I imagine she's exactly what you yourself might be if you were a woman--only, if you don't mind my saying, much prettier."

Roderick sniffed. "I suppose we shall have to see about that, as my daughters are not yet grown and I have yet to see many traces of their mother in either of them--thank God."

If he hadn't blinked, he might have caught a brief look of hesitation on Severin's face. "Ah. Well... it is fortunate that you are a man, in that case, as we won't have to compare. Now, I do hope you and her will find something to talk about--she's been looking forward to your visit all day."

"All day, you say?" mused Roderick, feeling his lips form a slight grin. "I'm flattered. It's so rare these days, someone who appreciates that fact that one happens to be a king; I daresay the lovely countess and I shall get along just fine."

"Exactly... oh."

Roderick raised an eyebrow. "Sorry?"

Sighing, his cousin grimaced. "Well, I should probably mention... she happens to be just--just slightly..."

"Yes...?"

"...a little bit pregnant," Severin finished lamely. "Just thought you ought to know--you know how sensitive some of these dainty, blue-blooded women can be about their appearances."

"Ah, yes," he agreed. Then, the thought suddenly occured to him. "Er, Severin... it is Karlspan's, correct?"

"Of course!" answered Severin in a most timely fashion. "Laralita is a woman of utmost virtue--never would she dream of being unfaithful to her lawful husband, nor lying with a man after said husband's death unless he became her second husband first."

Roderick inhaled longingly. "Oh, if only there were more women like her! Then perhaps I wouldn't have had all that trouble with my own wife. Well, no use dwelling on Geneva now that she's gone--and good riddance to her, the filthy whore!"

Reverently, Severin closed his eyes and slowly turned on his heel. "Geneva was never the woman for you, Roderick. Now, if you excuse me, I have a small amount of tedious paperwork to finish before dinner. Alina and Laralita should be here momentarily."

"I eagerly await their arrival," Roderick assured him as he proceeded into his study, closing the door behind him. Rather rude, really--was that how a mere lord dared treat his king? If he hadn't been Roderick's own first cousin, why, he might have...

Oh well. It could have been worse, he supposed; Severin could have asked him for help with said paperwork. Of course, there was no way he would have agreed to that--not only was he guest, but he was a king.

Besides, the ladies had to meet at least one of them there, and as they both lived with Severin, Roderick felt that they might appreciate greeting a different, more regal male presence.

No sooner had he finished processing the thought than the women had emerged from the candlelit corridor. Roderick found himself having to look twice; at least he had the bad blood from Severin's mother's side to blame for the fact that his cousin was a filthy liar.

Both women were visibly with child, but only one of them could be described as 'slightly, a little bit pregnant'--and that was Alina, wearing her loose green gown, a slight bulge at the waist. Laralita, on the other hand, was quite largely, very much pregnant indeed; other than that, he found her quite lovely. In fact, the pregnancy wasn't even unflattering on her, with her stunning gown of fuchsia silk and lace that just screamed to be touched. A shame that she wouldn't be wearing that dress again, really... well, unless she remarried.

Suddenly, she looked up, her teal eyes meeting his own gray. A shy smile lit her features, and he could not help but return the grin. Ordinarily, Roderick did not waste words such as 'radiant' on people--he preferred to use them instead when describing expensive treasures and valuable lands--but in her case, there simply was no other word. She was radiant; absolutely radiant, this blond, porcelain angel.

"Roderick!" Alina announced him, waddling forth with her sister in tow. "How lovely it is that you could join us tonight!"

Roderick coughed smugly, then grinned indulgently. "The pleasure is all mine, Alina. It was most gracious of you to invite me."

Eagerly, she leaned toward him--odd, considering she normally failed to appreciate such necessary formalities as the ones he offered her. Perhaps she was finally growing some taste.

"You remember my sister, correct?" she inquired of him. "Laralita, Countess of Bandera?"

"How could I possibly forget someone so magnificently radiant?" he demanded, finding the need to use the word once more as he strode toward Laralita. "It has been far too long, my dear," he apologized, taking her hand in his own and kissing it; her perfume was of a most pleasing scent.

Taking a few seconds to recovery from her blush--the shade of which he thought to be quite charming--she grinned meekly. "Indeed it has. Forgive me, your majesty; last I saw you, you were a prince, and now you stand before me as a king."

"Please do not let my kingly status intimidate you," commanded Roderick softly. "It has been quite some time since I have been presented with such a gentle lady as yourself, and I should not want to think I have startled you into fleeing my company."

Her eyes widened as they once again locked with his. Why did the people of the earth need the sun when such a pair of eyes existed? Either one of them was just as bright, just as powerful, and yet far less painful to look upon; also, the Lord had bestowed upon the world not one such eye, but two, both upon this most favorable woman that stood before him here.

"I assure you, your majesty, that such a thing will prove quite impossible."

Excitedly, Alina clapped her hands together, then turned to the door to her husband's study. "Excellent, you know each other. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go help my husband with his paperwork."

Normally, Roderick might have scolded her for interfering with masculine duties such as paperwork; however, it just so happened that he'd become so thoroughly unaware of her very presence that he could not claim to notice her leave.

"That dress is absolutely ravishing on you," he complimented the visitor, instinctively leaning toward her as he could not remember ever doing before.

Laralita giggled; her laugh put the songs of nightingales to shame. "Why, thank you, your majesty! I had it made especially for tonight."

"Laralita, please," he told her, "call me Roderick."

That adorable blush returned. "Ah... sorry, your--er, Roderick. I should have figured, since Severin and Alina call you Roderick, but..."

"Oh, they should be calling me 'majesty'," dismissed Roderick. "By doing otherwise, they are being presumptuous. Since I am a king, I expect everyone to call me 'majesty'--except for you, because you are the only one who actually does so without being asked."

Humbly, she bowed her head. "Please forgive my sister and brother for their absurd presumptions. My sister is a spoilt little child who is quite prone to getting carried away, while my brother is socially crippled by his unfortunate maternal blood."

Oh, how incredibly kind of her, making excuses for her sister and brother-in-law! What a selfless, open-hearted lady! Had he ever met anyone else of her remarkable caliber?

"As it is you, Laralita, who request it of me, I shall," he promised her with a binding stare into those magnificent eyes. "Truly, my dear... you look positively aglow. That dress is exquisite on you."

"A pity I won't be able to wear it for much longer," she sighed.

Roderick nodded in agreement. "Unless you marry again, that is."

Laralita's eyes bulged. "Oh! I hadn't even thought of that. Of course... I could not marry any lower than an earl, I daresay. I've become used to the luxuries of being a countess, and don't think I could soon adjust to being a mere baroness or--God forbid--lady."

"Perhaps you will marry higher than an earl," he ventured hopefully.

She shied away slightly, her rosy blush returning. "Perhaps. I suppose we can't rule out that possibility until it either occurs or does not occur."

It most certainly would--what duke or emperor wouldn't want this woman? Roderick felt a sudden pang of jealousy toward his late friend; how was it that Karlspan, a humble earl, had obtained this majestic woman while he, a king, wound up married to a common whore such as Geneva?

"Oh, I'm sure it will happen," he assured her, prompting a sparkling smile. Dare he touch her arm? He did. It felt oddly comfortable--he wondered why he'd never experienced the urge to do that before.

"I can only hope," she cooed softly, reminding him suddenly of a dove. "Truth be told... I would prefer to raise this baby in a finer household than that of Lord Veldora."

"Far finer blood runs through the veins of your baby than the children of your sister; it is true that this is not the most ideal home for the child."

Good Lord, what an enchanting lady! Never before had Roderick fallen prey to such a sweet spell, been so thoroughly entranced by such riveting charm. In that moment, all that existed were her eyes--perfect, clear, and all-encompassing.

Then, without thinking, he kissed her.

And what a kiss it was! The kisses of whores and maids were indulgent, and always quietly expectant of some reward in the end; the kisses of Geneva had been filled with some overwhelming passion that he himself had never been able to match. But Laralita... she was not such an expert. Her kisses were kisses of a woman with the chaste sort of experience, but nothing more; she was no better a kisser than he himself, and because of that, her kiss was the most enjoyable he had ever known. Here, he was not being defeated--he was keeping up, if not winning.

"Why, Roderick!" she scolded teasingly between giggles. "You're daring!"

He sent a sheepish grin her way. "My dear, when one is a king, one must be so. Now, if you don't mind... I should very much like to kiss you again."

It seemed she didn't mind at all.

"Mmm... this is scandalous," moaned Laralita between hungry kisses. "I'm your brother-in-law's pregnant widow!"

"Yes, but I am a king."

"True."

Running his fingers through her soft blond hair, he gently dipped her toward the floor, prompting a delight laugh from her perfect mouth. "You are so beautiful... and such a great, gentle lady! You shall have no problem finding a husband. I could marry you myself--indeed, I believe I shall. Laralita, Queen of Naroni... it does have a nice ring to it, wouldn't you say?"

"It does," she admitted with an adoring grin, "but not while I'm pregnant, of course--can you imagine what people might say?"

That was true. "Yes, I suppose we shall have to wait. When are you due?"

"May."

"Then it's settled--I shall marry you in June."

"Oh, but that is such a dreadfully long wait!" exclaimed Laralita as he pulled her closer, her enlarged stomach pressing against him.

"I know," he sighed in agreement, "but it is of the utmost importance that we avoid the scandal. Meanwhile, you just keep that baby of yours healthy and happy, and we shall hold fast until June... and of course, no one needs to know about us getting carried away just now. We shall announce the engagement, but that shall be our little secret, all right?"

Laralita nodded. "No one will know besides you and I."

NEXT CHAPTER:

21 comments:

Van said...

Sorry if that seemed a little too fast, but... hey, it's the times :)

thewynd said...

"...but I suppose we just wanted to hoard to ourselves the delight that is Laralita." LOL! OK now that I am picking myself up off the floor from laughing, this was brilliant! First of all, they are color coordinated, second of all, the are absolutely like-minded! If ever two people were a perfect match it is those two!

It wasn't fast at all! Knowing Roderick, it was spot on.

Van said...

Thanks Gayl :)

Heheheh... they are color-coordinated. I didn't even notice that before. Actually... I think Laralita was wearing a dress that had a similar if not identical pattern to Roderick's vest thingy in her very first appearance (that post with Alina and Lileina and Cambrin, waaay back in March, I think it was).

Oh yeah, they're totally perfect for each other. It was difficult to resist the urge to have them finish each other's sentences. They're like the same mind in two separate bodies.

cheripye said...

Dinuriel!!! ROFL, how utterly enchanting the king and his Queen Laralita, LOL! those two were made for eachother! her with her bad taste and uhm... Worse sense of humbility (is that even a word) LOL! and Roderick with his ever increasing swelled ego, LOL!

But at least Severin and Alina can finally be alone without the ... Statue, LOL!

Great update!!

Van said...

Heheheh... they really are a match made in heaven. Or in hell :)

LOL, the statue! Yeah, I guess that will be there until Laralita actually gets married, but... heh. In the meantime, Severin and Alina can make interesting use of the wine cellar :)

cheripye said...

Wait! Wine cellar??? *tapping finger to lips...* LOL! Sorry couldnt resist, Sev and Ali, in a wine cellar hmmm... LOL!

Van said...

Heheh... I somehow get the feeling that most of the rooms in that castle have been personally "blessed"...

eclectictsunami said...

Ach, wine cellars give me Leof & Matilda flashbacks...

Y'know, for two such insufferable characters, this was actually kinda sweet. :P A perfect match, indeed! (Due to their mutual shallowness and narcissism, but even so...) They'll make a good couple nonetheless, and Severin and Alina will have some peace.

Van said...

...how did I forget about that? :(

Thanks Cassie :)

Yeah, they kind of cancel each other out rather nicely, or at least seem to tone each other down. Of course, this does mean that Laralita's staying in Naroni, but at least she's out of Casa Severin.

Penelope said...

hahaha! They wasted NO time! I think they must be soulmates. ICK ICK ICK!

Van said...

Heh. Probably. At the very least, I can't think of anyone else who would so willingly tolerate either of them without expecting something in exchange.

Penelope said...

I forgot to mention-

YAAAYYY! Halford and Adonis!

Van said...

Their long-awaited return is here at last!! Weeeee!!

Unfortunately, they're mainly serving a messenger role. Again. *sigh*

I have one big storyline in mind for Adonis, but it probably won't work for like another Naroni decade or so. You'll see why when it happens. As for Halford, we'll be seeing some more of him in 1160, as well as his nemesis.

lothere said...

Like Cassie said, this was surprisingly.... sweet! Those two are such shallow pieces of work that a farcical situation is right on their level. And I think they could actually be HAPPY together. Crazy.

That last picture of Severin and Alina was the icing on the cake.

Van said...

Thanks Lothere :)

Yeah, I do think they actually could be happy, or at least happier than they were with their previous spouses (Laralita and her husband got along okay as friends, but they were never really compatible on a romantic/intimate level).

Phoenix said...

Hahaha!! That was great Van!!! Oh wow! That happened fast but we're talking about Roderick here! I wonder what Geneva will say when she finds out? Oh boy! Oh boy!! Awesome Van! Sorry so late getting here! I didn't have internet in the hotel!

Van said...

Thanks Phoenix :)

Verity said...

Speedy lovin' ahoy. But it was sweet. It is nice that Roderick feels a bit more on the same level with Laralita. Still there is the problem of Geneva who I am pretty sure will resurface at some time.

Loved it how Alina and Severin were listening outside the door!

Van said...

Oh yeah, Roderick is definitely making too many assumptions in regards to the whole Geneva thing... :)

Heheh. They just had to know if they would finally be rid of her :)

Unknown said...

I'm quite surprised that not only do they continue to be funny, but they're actually kinda cute together. Good for them.

Van said...

Their respective silliness creates a nice combination :P