July 26, 2009

In Which Octavius Keeps Pacing

January 7, 1160

"For God's sake, Octavius, would you stop with the pacing?" demanded Dalston as Octavius stepped back and forth in front of the couch upon which his guests sat. "I understand that you're uncomfortable, but this isn't going to help at all."

Octavius ignored him. It was his study, after all; if he wanted to pace, then dammit, he would pace! Besides, the couch really only comfortably fit three, and his desk chair had a funny wobble.

"So... how is Medea doing?" asked Roderick at last. It had been nearly two months now that she'd first been locked in the dungeon, and following her initial imprisonment, Octavius had felt the need to inform the others of her condition.

"Uh... not any better," he admitted. "Really, I'm still in shock over the whole thing; I'd noticed she started acting a little odd after Geneva disappeared, but I never expected anything like this. The woman is raving mad."

"Maybe we should have seen this coming," Severin mused from the far end of the couch. "Apparently her mother was rather like this near the end, or at least as far as my father knew."

Turning his head, Roderick frowned. "Since when do you take anything your father says seriously?"

"He found out that Alina named our son after him. He sees it as a peace offering. I'm humoring him. Now, can we please get back on topic?"

"So her mother was like that," muttered Octavius under his breath. "That's interesting. Her father never mentioned that when he was arranging our betrothal."

"Maybe he figured you wouldn't have her if you knew," Dalston ventured with a grin.

Closing his eyes, he shook his head. "It wouldn't have made a difference; her siblings are rather level-headed, are they not?"

"Yes, but she never was."

All was quiet for a moment, until Roderick inquired, "So you're having the servants bring food to her?"

"Of course," he answered. "I do try to keep her comfortable. I just wish it hadn't gotten this bad--even while she was losing it, I did always like having a woman around, even if she did despise me. If only I had some spinster sister who could come and live here..."

"You could always marry again," the king suggested. "It worked wonders for me!"

"His wife is still alive, though," argued Dalston.

"True. Hmmm... maybe take the maid as a live-in mistress."

"But I don't love her!" protested Octavius automatically.

Roderick didn't look convinced. "Did you love Medea?"

Octavius turned around and continued to walk, only this time not stopping at Dalston's feet. He continued past to the bottles of wine perched on the small table, then glanced back at his companions. "Not as I would have liked to, no. Now, would any of you care for a drink?"

NEXT CHAPTER:

8 comments:

Van said...

Sorry about the short drabble post. I figured we needed some sort of closure with the whole Medea in the dungeon thing, though. Meanwhile, she's just going to stay there for a while...

Van said...

Oh, and forgot to mention... last post was the last of 1159. This is the first of 1160 (finally!!).

Phoenix said...

I really hope that Octavius finds someone to marry and be completely and utterly happy with. He deserves it after all he's been through.

Roderick is a trip!!

Van said...

He really does. Unfortunately, Medea is still alive, and I can't imagine him pulling a Roderick and saying "Whatever, she's as good as dead" and promptly getting married again. He has to see her buried before meeting someone else at the alter.

thewynd said...

Well this is certainly a sticky situation for Octavius. I must say I admire his principles with regard to Medea. I wonder if there is some law that says if your wife is a loon and she will never recover if you can just sort of...divorce them and move on while caring for them perhaps? Since I can't see him abandoning her...setting up her care and moving on is win/win right?

Van said...

It probably would have been left up to the church, but I don't think Octavius really wants to involve any more people than necessary. I'm thinking he's just in a "well, I've done all I can, let's just see how this goes" sort of place right now. But yeah, I do think a large part of him really does want to be rid of her for good.

Penelope said...

But seriously... The DUNGEON?? Couldn't they have given her a nice, comfortable room in a tower somewhere?

Hmm. Maybe they could find someone to drill a hole in her head and let the demons out. That would solve Octavius's dilemma.

This makes me wonder if Geneva's departure had anything to do with Medea's decline. *drums fingers thoughtfully*

Van said...

He could've. But... ehhh, no one's using the dungeon. Plus it's easier to guard the dungeon, and more difficult for her to sneak out.

Heheheh... :)

Oh, Geneva's departure has everything to do with Medea's decline. Like, I do think that given her mother's genes, as well as her own personality and general lack of meaningful relationships, she always did have that predisposition, but Geneva leaving was definitely the match that lit that fuse.