July 5, 2009

In Which Norwan Sees the Ugliest Color

December 4, 1158

There was a distinct rustling sound coming from Norwan's field, and it did not sound like the mere work of the wind. No... someone was there. Someone was trespassing.

Perhaps it was his whore of a wife, trying to rob him of his crops in order to support herself, wherever the hell she was living. Well, no matter where she was, she certainly wouldn't be coming back here, that was for sure, or at least not if the baby was a boy--in that case, she would leave the baby to him, and if she stayed on his property for a minute longer than she had to, he'd damn well kill her. If it was a girl... well, he'd have to put up with Thetis for at long enough to assure himself of an heir.

The baby had to be a boy. It had to be.

Angrily, he pushed open the gate and stormed into the field; to his great surprise, the trespasser wasn't Thetis at all. In fact, it wasn't even a single person.

There were two of them. Two small children, a boy and a girl, playing some sort of game, completely naked.

What was this? What sort of awful parents let their children run around wild at this ungodly hour? And in the buff, no less? And shouldn't these brats have at least had the decency to stay on their parents' own lands?

"What in the hell are you doing here?" he demanded of the two children; startled, both of them hurriedly leapt to their feet. "Do you have any idea what time it is? Get your worthless hides back to your own homes!"

The girl shuddered slightly. "Brother... maybe we leaves now, yes?" She seemed reluctant to look Norwan's way--the boy, however, faced him with a small smile. Norwan found his eyebrow raising as he noted the child's odd, gem-like eyes, as well as the strange black markings on his face. What sort of thing was this? Surely just some painted little prankster who happened to have eyes of a color even more bizarre than Thetis's?

"Sorry, Dovan-man," he addressed Norwan in the same odd manner as his sister. "You see... we plays here sometime, yes? Ground soft here. No worry though--we no eat you foodses. Plants is yuck... gives us rooserly Spanards, yes? Or buttery Frenchs?"

Norwan scowled. "Filthy little bastard! I have no time for your nonsense--either you leave my land with your head, or stay without!"

"That what Grandmama say, no? But she scary--everyone know she eat Grandpapa's ballses after Papa born, yes?"

"Disgusting!" barked Norwan. "Stupid little fucker! Why in the hell would I want to know what your whore grandmother does to your grandfather's... you know what? Just leave! Now--or God help me, I'll get my knife and fertilize my crops with your flesh!"

Again, the girl trembled, but the boy's unnatural eyes widened in what could only be described as excited curiosity.

"What is 'knife', Dovan-man?" he inquired brightly as his sister shied away behind him. "Is it foods? It it a naminimal? Ooooh, is it pretty, 'luptuous lady?"

The girl cringed as Norwan ground his bottom lip between his teeth. "Tavrin..."

"No worry, Iata, Dovan-man just--"

She let out a childish shriek as Norwan drove his fist across her brother's face. It felt immensely satisfying, making this kid finally shut up, putting the little ass-rag in his place; the girl's frightened squeal only added to his pleasure.

"Consider that a warning!" he shouted. "If you aren't gone by the time I count to ten, I'll do much worse to you! One... two..."

Slowly, the two of them backed away--he'd have much preferred it if they were quick about it.

"Three... five... nineteen..."

He'd given them ample time to hurry, but they had not seized the opportunity--useless little fuckers.

"Forty-eight... seventy-two... sixty-nine..."

They were still in the field. Why in the hell were they still in the field? Their blood was on their own hands.

"One hundred and twenty-eight... t--"

"Step away from my children, human."

Norwan had to blink--several times. As if he had materialized out of thin air, there was suddenly a man standing between himself and the children.

Well, if he could call it a 'man'. He was certainly male, his nudity revealed--but it was just as evident that whatever he was, he most definitely was not human. His skin glowed in the moonlight, a strange reddish design across his face. His magenta hair was held back in a tight braid, and his ears narrowed to fine points, like those of an elf.

"Did I fail to make myself clear?" the creature spat as Norwan did not comply. "I understand that these children are foolish young half-breeds who have yet to understand the concept of private property, but as their father, I command you to leave them alone!"

Defiantly, Norwan remained as he was. He was only a peasant, but he figured that he outranked this creature by sheer virtue of being human. Besides, this didn't even seem real--chances are, it was only a dream.

The creature's eyes were black where white should have been, and showed not the slightest trace of a pupil. Their eerie red was the very shade of blood--a color that Norwan had seen many times before, but had never truly noticed. Now, he saw it for what it was; it was the ugliest color in the world, even uglier than the color of Thetis's eyes.

"Wrong answer, human!" screamed the thing as it clenched his neck in its hands, squeezing and pressing as if the existence of the very world depended on it. His airway was blocked... his spine, cracking...

The color of the creature's eyes was the ugliest color Norwan had ever seen--and as, fate would have it, it was also the last he ever saw.

NEXT CHAPTER:

16 comments:

Van said...

Sorry about the rather dark pics--why is it that they always look better before I post them? Gaaaaah :(

Oh well, on a happier note... GOOD RIDDANCE, NORWAN! BURN IN HELL, YOU BALD BASTARD! AHAHAHAHAHA!

:)

I've been waiting a loooooong time for that. Really, as a writer... I probably made a mistake in not giving him any redeeming qualities whatsoever. But, you know, if I had... I don't think Thetis would be the character she is. Plus I wouldn't have enjoyed killing him off... or at least, not nearly as much :D

Phoenix said...

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! STALKING PAID OFF!!!! DING DONG!! THE..er...WARLOCK IS DEAD!!!!!!

Van...I think I love you!! LMAO!!!! I have so been waiting for this!! Yes, yes!!! I have!!

What sort of awful parents let their children run around wild at this ungodly hour This line cracked me up since apparently Norwan is a WONDERFUL parent! *rolls eyes*

And we learn the little boy's name!! I grinned when I saw him! And LOL at Norwan counting! Wow!

And, hold the phone, is that a Florian and Thetis update next? FLORIAN!!!

I am stoked! Now I can go to bed! Haha!

You were right...this made me extremely happy!

Van said...

Norwan was not a particularly intelligent man, lol.

Yep, that is Florian and Thetis :)

Heheheh, I knew it. Glad you enjoyed :D

Penelope said...

I can't believe he punched that kid. I just cannot. I have words for people like that but I'll refrain from using them in your comments section. >8(

And hey! Does this mean that Tavrin and Iata are half human?

thewynd said...

I'm wondering now about the woman that came from the field and died after telling about giving birth to twins...hmm.

Celebrations will be going on everywhere now that Norwan is dead! Loved that last line about the color of blood. Fitting that.

Van said...

Pen: Yeah, there are a lot of words that describe Norwan that might not be suitable for teh internets.

Yes, they are half human. I should probably get them up on the family tree now that we know their names.

Gayl: Oh yeah, that is a very useful chapter in regards to these kids.

Yeah, I think everyone who ever met Norwan is going to be pretty happy about this.

Thanks :)

cheripye said...

Skippidy doo dah, *HOORAY!* LOL!!! Finally Norwan got his dues, although the strange creature, I wonder perhaps that is what happened the original inhabitants of Naroni, and is it possible that the rest of these fortunate or unfortunate lives will suffer the same fate... Oh dear I hope not!

I love the little elf children, or whatever they may be and their father is quite scary perhaps he should try and love them just a bit. Rooserly! LOL!

Van said...

We shall see more of these humanoids at some point. Meanwhile, this one got rid of Norwan, so all is well for now :)

As for what they are... the very first post might answer a few questions.

And yeah, I think the father does love his kids, in his own angry, scary way. He thinks they're a nuisance, but he does care about them--if he didn't, he wouldn't have come to their aid.

Verity said...

Now Thetis and Florian can get mawwied. Twue love!

No sympathy whatsoever for Norwan. Thank goodness he's gone.

And how exciting... I wonder if there are going to be more brushes with the supernatural now.

Van said...

Heheheh, I love that movie :)

And yes. Yes, he is gone :D

And we will definitely be seeing more of these creatures at some point. However... uh, be careful what you wish for...

Unknown said...

So these kids are the babies of the mad women that Liornan recalls. Why do the Narons want half-breeds? *ponders*

AND YES! YOU GOT WHAT WAS COMING FOR YOU, YOU RAPING BASTARD!

Ehem.

Van said...

Unfortunately, the answer to that question is somewhat anti-climactic :(

I don't imagine I'll ever have another character death that makes people so happy :D

Unknown said...

Hehe, it wasn't as if I was expecting you to answer. :P

Van said...

It hasn't even been answered in the story yet (speaking in terms of the "present"). Might not be long before it is, though, and I'm sure it will be something of a let-down :(

Keri said...

I am glad that Norwan finally bit the dust, but part of me is sad to see the "villian" go. Yes, he was particularly evil, but still he drummed up some great storylines and sympathy for Thetis right?

Van said...

You have a good point there... but in the end, I think Norwan had sort of outgrown his purpose in some ways. I didn't have much else for him to do, and I wanted Thetis to be happy, so...

If I was writing this storyline today as opposed to several months ago, it probably would have turned out very differently... but like everything else, it did help shape the "present day" Naroni.