July 11, 2009

In Which Laralita Experiences the Height of Flattery

January 5, 1159

"...and that should just about do it," declared the seamstress with a smile as she stepped back and observed her work. "Now, turn around for me please, my lady?"

As best she could with her hefty baby inside her, Laralita slowly twirled so that Ivilia could examine the dress from all angles. It was a shame, really, that the dress would only fit her in all her pregnant glory--it really was the sort of dress she wouldn't have minded wearing more often.

"Lovely. My lady, you are absolutely stunning."

Laralita smiled coyly--as much as she took a guilty pleasure in flattery, she wasn't sure she could trust the opinion of a mere seamstress. "Why thank you, Ivilia. Alina, do you have any words?"

Her sister exchanged a quick glance with her maid, then nodded. "You look beautiful, Laralita. But it does seem a shame that you will only be able to wear it until your baby comes, doesn't it? Too bad this will be your last child."

Alarmed, Laralita studied the dress once more and sighed--a pity, really. "I know; a dress like this makes having more children worthwhile."

"Of course. That is why we have children," muttered Nora, glancing down at her baby girl. "To fit into dresses."

Laralita wasn't sure she liked Alina's maid; not only was she most assuredly sleeping with Severin, but she also had a rather annoying tendency to state the obvious. "Oh, indeed!"

The girl sighed--she did that a lot too.

"Oh, but at least you will look nice for the king tonight!" Alina blurted excitedly. Laralita blinked; her sister's eyes promptly bulged as she quickly covered her mouth.

"The king?" she repeated, beaming widely about the room. "That is this guest who will be dining with us tonight? King Roderick himself?"

Ashamed, Alina closed her eyes and exhaled. "I'm sorry, Laralita. It was supposed to be a surprise, but... I just let it slip out, didn't I? I do hope you'll forgive me."

"Sister, just the fact that you've arranged for me to see the king is enough," Laralita assured her with a grin.

Nora and Ivilia shared a quick smile--doubtlessly, some peasant joke that was far beneath Laralita's notice.

Meanwhile, her sister bit her lip. "Well, actually, Laralita... the king wants to see you."

Well, that was news. Of course... she was the Countess of Bandera, as well as a daughter of the Count of Valcria. And it wasn't as if she had never actually met Roderick before--after all, he had been married to her husband's sister.

But still, to be in the willing company of a king! That, of course, was the height of flattery.

"What a wonderful man!" she swooned. "I was looking forward to dinner before, but now I am simply alight with anticipation!"

Alina sent a wink Nora's way--of course, Laralita had more important things on her mind. Dinner with a king!

NEXT CHAPTER:

9 comments:

Van said...

Sorry about the short post. Next one promises to be considerably longer :)

Phoenix said...

Oh goodness!! This is gonna be fun!! LMAO!! Those two together promises good times!!:P

Van said...

Eheheh... of course, there is one, slight problem with the whole concept of Roderick/Laralita that none of the characters seem to have considered... :)

thewynd said...

Laralita and Nora's exchange in the beginning just had me rolling! "I know; a dress like this makes having more children worthwhile." Yeah, I am certin that is why I had kids...and Laralita's thoughts about Nora sleeping with Severin...too damn funny.

Laralita, I am alight with anticipation myself! I hope there is enough room in the dining hall for both her AND the King!

Van said...

Laralita and Nora are by no means fond of each other, that's for sure.

We actually won't see them at the actual dinner... but we will see them in a room together before the dinner. Hopefully I don't disappoint there.

Penelope said...

Pssttt. I fear for their combined children, having goofy parents like that.

Van said...

Children of Roderick and Laralita would be just as bad, I'm sure--if not worse.

Of course, there would always be Roderick's three with Geneva hanging around, as well as the one Laralita's got in the oven right now (the other two will probably stay in Dovia with their uncle). Should be some interesting family dynamics there...

cheripye said...

I can hear wedding bells now, LOL! The king and Lara... Hmmm the definate perfect pair, LOL!

Love how all your characters just seem to melt together so easily. Will be getting to your other stories as soon as I get the chance. 80)

Van said...

Oh, just wait--I am mere minutes away from posting the next chapter...

Thanks, Cheri :)