July 6, 2009

In Which Florian's Reputation Is Saved

December 17, 1158

Once again, Florian was home early. The baroness had fired him--although he wasn't bothered, seeing as she made a point of "firing" him at least once a week. It meant nothing; he would go back tomorrow and the baron would greet him as he always did and he would continue to work as per usual. Meanwhile, he had a few more hours to spend with his kids and Thetis this afternoon--he really didn't mind at all.

"Hello, Papa," Evera greeted him, dropping her doll on the second floor of the ark and beaming up at him.

"Papa!" parroted Setran happily.

Florian grinned. "Evera, Setran. I hope you've been good for Thetis today?"

"They were angels," Thetis softly insisted from the couch, "as always."

Cautiously, he sent a quick glance her way. She sat quietly and pensively, the bulge of a growing baby just visible beneath her nightgown and a somber air looming about her teal eyes. To Florian, she appeared rather conflicted, for which he could not blame her. On one hand, Norwan's recent death had released her into a newfound freedom unlike any she had ever known; on the other, she was still mourning the loss of her young son, and Florian could think of no greater injury than the passing of one's own child.

No... if anyone had right and reason to have absolutely no idea which way was up and which was down, it was Thetis.

"Mind if I join you?" he inquired as he made his way over to the couch.

Surprisingly, she smiled as he lowered himself down beside her. "Go ahead."

He turned to her and nodded. "Are you feeling all right?"

"I'm fine," she answered. "Thank you."

It was shockingly easy to be polite around her when he had to be. Ordinarily, Florian was somewhat affectionate with her in his own curmudgeonly way, but seeing as she was obviously hurting, he felt the need to be at least something of a gentleman--besides, it gave him more justification to be rather disrespectful toward that despicable witch of a baroness.

"You sure?" he pressed gently.

"Yes," insisted Thetis. "I'm just... thoughtful, that's all."

Florian raised an eyebrow. "Oh? And what is it you're thinking about?"

She shrugged. "I don't know. I guess my baby and I are homeless now, aren't we? I mean, I technically own the house now, I suppose, but I really would rather not go back there."

"Thetis..." he sighed, edging slight toward her. "Come here a minute? Please?"

Her eyes closed, she did as she was told, drawing nearer and leaning into him as he slung his arm around her shoulder.

"I hope you realize you're welcome to stay here as long as you like," he assured her. "It's not as if I don't have room for both you and your baby."

She giggled--not as boldly as she once had, but at least it was something. "I'm sure you'll be sick of me soon."

"Are you kidding? You're great with the kids and you don't care if I walk around in my underwear--you can stay as long as you damn well please!"

Her lips curled into a slight grin; it wasn't as if she never smiled anymore, but he sure appreciated it like he never really had before. "Well, thank you, but people are talking as it is."

"Sorry?"

Thetis sighed. "I don't want to ruin your reputation, Florian."

He had to laugh--it was pure instinct. "My reputation? What reputation? For God's sake, Thetis, I've been to prison; I don't think there's much use worrying about my reputation."

"But still," she argued meekly as he lifted her onto his lap, "I... I really don't want to be any trouble..."

"But I want you to stay."

He hadn't met to say it--it had just slipped out. "Er, I mean... uh, I really don't care. It's fine. Uh... whatever."

"Well, thank you," Thetis acknowledged his offer with a hug, seemingly oblivious to his second response, "but really, Florian, I wouldn't feel right about living here after the baby was born. People are so cruel--they wouldn't take to me living with you without marrying you, especially if the baby happens to be yours."

"So... you'll only stay if I marry you?"

She laughed prettily as he gently set her down. "Well, I didn't say that, but I guess that's the case."

"That's mean."

Another laugh--if nothing else, at least he was cheering her up. "That doesn't answer much, does it?"

It didn't. God, he wanted her to stay. The kids wanted her to stay... and she herself wanted to stay, he was sure of it. Why should she care about what the neighbors would think? Florian didn't even know most of them--what did it matter?

But maybe he was being insensitive; with all she'd suffered, she was welcome to be irrational.

Mindful of her swelling stomach, he pressed her to the cushions and brushed his lips against her own. After a moment or so, he started to gently suckle her bottom lip, then slid his tongue into her perfect mouth, savoring her exotic flavor as he spiraled about her own.

"What the hell?" he breathed between kisses. "Not like I have anything to lose, is it? Fine, I'll marry you--whatever. Whatever makes you stay."

NEXT CHAPTER:

18 comments:

Van said...

I'm going to be putting up Naked Kid and Co. on the family tree, except the problem is that they don't really have a last name, which Tribalpages requires. They'll probably be filed under something along the lines of "of Naroni", but that will mean absolutely nothing--they only have first names.

Also, next post will be the last post of 1158. However, I must warn you... I only have seven posts for 1159. Seven. 1159 is going to be a pretty uneventful year in Naroni. The reason? Mainly the kids.

Like, the toddlers are cute and all, but... with the exception of the post "In Which Raia Suggests a Sorry", they haven't really done anything except look cute, playing with the ark on the floor in the background while the adults talk. I'm aging Prince Ietrin up near the end of 1159 (he will be five years old on November 30, 1159), but we rarely see him, and even if we do see him more often, the only other kid around for him to interact with will be Alina's nephew Searle (not to be confused with his baby cousin of the same name), who isn't even a child of any of the founding couples.

No, I want to get the second generation interacting with not only their parents, but each other as well, and there's really not much that toddlers can do other than sit around and look cute. The first baby boom of Naroni was in late 1155, meaning that kids like Lorn, Raia, Leara, and Evera will all be aging up in late 1160, which will open up my possibilities in regards to that generation.

On a more positive note... the end of 1159 will also bring us to Post #100 :D

cheripye said...

I absolutely adore Florian,
He is so loving under it all and definately loves Thetis... Geez though what a proposal, LOL! Although that is him!

cheripye said...

I forgot to say how wonderful you captured the emotions...

Van said...

Thanks Cheri :)

Oh yeah, he's totally in love with her (and she with him), but Florian is tragically unromantic. Oh well, it works for him :)

Penelope said...

Florian and his "whatever"s never cease to make me giggle.

And Thetis all like, "But the neighbors will talk!" So transparent. So very transparent. XD

Van said...

Heheheh... such an obvious ploy on Thetis's part, wasn't it? I guess it just wasn't cool for a girl to just ask him herself in those days.

Phoenix said...

*does happy Florian dance that I just made up*

FLORIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!! I ♥ that man so much! So very much! And so does Thetis! I've been waiting for this! Although just cause he asked doesn't mean that she'll say yes does it? You just might be evil Van and cause me to suffer! :P

Van said...

Luckily, I'm not quite that evil... :D

thewynd said...

Aww this was a good one! Those two are so cute together. As if Florian cares about the neighbors. And they should sell Norwan's place. Use the money for the kids and themselves.

A more unromantic proposal I have never seen but somehow it was just perfect.

Van said...

Yeah, they'll probably end up selling Norwan's farm. They might keep it for one of the younger children, but Thetis might not want to have to go there in order to visit.

I can't see Florian coming up with some incredibly romantic proposal, even if it hadn't been so spur of the moment. He's just too Florian :)

lothere said...

"That's mean."

*dies*

Florian slays me every time.

Van said...

I kind of can't wait to write the next post I have scheduled for Florian, even though I don't even have pictures for it yet. That one should be interesting :D

eclectictsunami said...

Hooray for them!! Florian was too funny, as always. :P

And Thetis is pregnant! That was unexpected, but I'm so happy for them. It's about time they had a child of their own together.

Van said...

Heheh... it could still be Norwan's...

Actually, I know whose it is. I left that up to fate, though--I just had her "Try for baby" alternately with Norwan and Florian, and just waited until one of them got her pregnant. Meanwhile, we shall see right after a short bout of January noble drama.

Verity said...

Squeeee!

I am so glad this happened. Now lets just hope the baby is his.

Van said...

You're very close to finding out, Verity :)

Unknown said...

Thetis is all grown up! She looks very... Thetis-like. Motherly and pretty but grieving.

And yay, they'll finally get married! *squees*

Van said...

"Motherly" is a good word to describe Thetis. Even when she was young, she was always a little matriarch.