February 5, 2014

In Which Lyraina Catches On

August 4, 1184

"Sev! My favorite brother-in-law!" Not that Congren provided much competition. Still, Lyraina had nothing against any of her sisters' husbands, but she did have to admit--to herself, at least--that she enjoyed Sev's company more than any of theirs. "Excellent timing. The biscuits are almost done."

"You didn't have to make biscuits."

"Your new little niece or nephew begs to differ." The scent was enough that she might have run the risk of drooling on his shoulder. "Anyway, have a seat and tell your brother and I about your first week."

"All right." Sev nodded toward Had, then started around the table to a seat on the other side. Lyraina took advantage and nabbed a nearer one.

"Second semester already. I could have sworn Father told me he was sending you off just yesterday." Had grinned as his brother tucked himself in, no doubt blushing. "How are your classes?"

"They're good, but I won't bore you with the details until Father gets here. You don't want to hear it twice."

"You're probably right."

"Had!" Lyraina smacked him against the arm on principle. She didn't find Sev's classes any more interesting than Had did, but it was important that they at least understood the basics. Of course, Sev's university experience did include more than just the classes. "How are your housemates? Does Senwick still feel the need to greet the sun with his drums?"

"Yes, but I can usually sleep through it now. And so can Orrick and Landus, so they're fine." Sev shrugged. With Senwick in the house, early morning drumming must have been mundane by now. "Koradril's still getting used to it, though."

"Koradril?" Must have been a new housemate. Curious, Lyraina leaned forward. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's a noble name."

"Uh, well... yes, I guess it is." But rather than elaborate, Sev chose to shut up and stare at the table.

But that crook in Had's brow said he wasn't satisfied. "That wouldn't be... Prince Koradril, would it?"

"Uh..."

Well. So the university experience took an interesting turn. "It is, isn't it?"

"Look, he doesn't want people to make a big deal of him being there, all right?"

Lyraina glanced over at Had, who frowned. Sev usually wasn't so defensive. "Sev...?"

"Sorry. It's just that he just wants to have a few years of normal, and he was hoping university could be that. I guess this doesn't really matter because we're here alone, but... I don't know, habit. I'm trying to be a good friend."

"Oh." That was more like Sev. Though... "Wait, you two are friends?"

He shrugged. "I guess so."

"Do you see the two of you staying friends?" asked Had, eyes narrowed. Surely he was thinking what she was thinking? "I don't know, say... once you've graduated?"

"Well, it's a little early to tell, but I don't see why not."

"Interesting." Had tried to keep his smile at bay, as he usually did when he was getting ahead of himself. And surely he didn't want to voice his thoughts in front of his good-natured, altruistic little brother.

But while Sev may have been the one taking the business classes--and enjoying them, whereas Had probably would have slept through more lectures than not--Lyraina's husband had taken the lion's share of the instincts. If they were to, say, start selling horses to the Dovian Royal Family, and the Dovian Royal Family found them to be good enough stock to spread the word...

Well. Who better for word-of-mouth marketing than royalty?

"Very interesting."

If Sev had caught on, he opted not to press. But Lyraina did know one thing: between Sev's book learning and Had's intuition, her father-in-law's business wouldn't be bankrupt any time soon.

NEXT CHAPTER:

5 comments:

Van said...

Joke's on you, Had and Lyraina! You get all caught up with a different topic the one time Sev has actual news on the girlfriend front!

But seriously, this is one of those posts that I shot, previewed, then completely forgot what it was supposed to be about in the first place. So here's a half-assed attempt to further Adonis's business?

Ekho said...

Naww Sev has a girlfrieeend? If he were my brother I would be more excited about that than him sharing a house with a prince! But I guess it's only natural to look out for one's self and business.

Question, what courses are you doing online?
I can't afford to do any online because I wouldn't be eligible for an allowance from the government, but I'm trying to find a full-time or at least part-time course in town or nearby. Inquired about a 'Education Support' course today, which would be good as I want to become a teacher EVENTUALLY haha

Van said...

That he does! :) We'll be seeing both her and the prince in the fall, though Sev won't be in that post.

I think I'd be less surprised if my brother was roommates with a prince than if he had a girlfriend. XD

I'm currently taking a sophomore-level statistics course, as well as a junior-level psych course. The Education Support course sounds interesting! I hope you find some good ones. :)

Penelope said...

I cracked up at your first comment, Van. I have three DBL chapters' worth of images sitting around right now that were taken ages ago, and I have no earthly clue what they were meant to be. I even found one image of a sim that I didn't recognize.

My brother is almost 30 and just started dating his first *serious* girlfriend within the last year. I'm still picking on him. I asked his girlfriend to be one of my bridesmaids in part to see the look on his face when he has to walk down the aisle with her. *BWAHAHAHA!*

Van said...

Funny when that happens, isn't it? XD Funny and frustrating.

My brother is now twenty and as far as I know, he has never been on a date in his life. Which is fine by me because the idea of him dating is icky. Plus it doesn't seem to bother him, so I don't see why I should be bothered either.

If that's not an ideal quality in a bridesmaid, I don't know what is. :)