November 6, 2012

In Which Severin Decrees What Will Not Be Said

April 17, 1180

Since taking control of this castle, Ovrean had been lucky enough not to have gotten much use out of his dungeons. He hadn't even known the need to further divide the cells with iron bars. A dusty odor lurked about, but beyond that, Remiel's cell was as tidy as they ever got. He would have been much more comfortable here than he'd been in the dungeons of Veldora Keep.

But he would not get that luxury. He would not live to sleep another night.

But though he must have known it, he was frustratingly at ease. "No guards, I see. Your mother met me alone as well."

Of himself, however, Severin could not say the same. "You have no right to say a damn thing about my mother--or anything else, for that matter."

"I shall say as I please. You know you can't touch me, and you appear to be unarmed."

"And why would I have come armed?" 'Defense' might have been Remiel's answer, but Severin would have no need. Sheer rage would fuel a stranglehold of an offensive. "Did you really believe I'd do you the honor of killing you quickly?"

"Say what you like, but I'm more inclined to believe you won't kill me at all." He'd practically yawned it. The wrath boiling in Severin's veins made it a struggle a stand still; throughout the room, the air began to stir. "You don't have it in you. I'm willing to guess you've never killed a man in your life."

"Then perhaps you're not as uncanny as your reputation would have us all believe." Remiel snorted. The air drifted wallward. "Not that it matters now. You killed my mother today; for that, you will not see tomorrow."

Some seed of a cackle twisted around Remiel's silver tongue, but it would not pass his lips. Not as the last of the air forsake him.

Not as the reserves burst from his lungs.

"I will not--"

"--have it said--"

"--that you died laughing."

NEXT CHAPTER:

8 comments:

Van said...

The production of this post was heavily stalled by election coverage.

Also--as you can probably tell--the narrative just would.not.budge. I ended up deciding that this was one post that would be (slightly) better for not forcing it. There was only one thing that needed to come across here, and it's the sort of thing that shouldn't be stalled for too long ;)

Penelope said...

Yeesch. And really? Severin has never killed anyone before? *Thinks* Wait, Remiel is wrong that one. :S Though I don't suppose that Severin has ever been to war, or had to stage an execution. He did kind of murder his stepfather though. I am interested in the reactions of the next chapter.

Penelope said...

Wait, did Laveria die?

Van said...

Did Severin murder his stepfather? It's never been confirmed either way. He is the prime suspect though, at least from the reader's perspective (which is probably not something you usually want to say about the main character of a story that aims to be as progressive as the setting will allow, but at least the stepfather was a known douche).

Yes, Laveria died. :( Although, she actually rolled a death date for... 1176, I believe? But things have been a little less fast-paced since 1175, and once I came up with the idea for the Remiel arc, I knew that Laveria's death would have to be tied to that. So she did ultimately get a few extra years.

Still. :(

Anonymous said...

Ding dong, the monk is dead?

And I'm surprised Remiel wasn't expecting that -- did he not know that Severin was powerful? Or did he just not know how powerful? Or was he expecting Severin to draw it out more?

Still, it's good that the old bastard is gone for good. Let's just hope that nobody else decides to follow in Remiel's footsteps by trying to raise Remiel from the dead.

Van said...

I guess Remiel just figured Severin didn't have it in him. Big mistake on his part XD

But yeah, certain Naroni characters should be able to breathe easy for a while... :)

Winter said...

You were completely right - one thing mattered, and it came across perfectly. That shot of Severin yelling should have come with an action movie soundtrack.

I'd say they'd have to clear out a special ring of Hell for Remiel, but that's assuming his soul makes it there in one piece. Bwahaha.

Van said...

Thanks, Winter! Glad you thought so :)

Yeah, I don't know if Hell is quite big enough for Remiel... ;)