November 13, 2012

In Which Deian Is Doubted

May 3, 1180

Greetings, Esteemed Ones.

GREETINGS, DEIAN.

You desired a word with me?

YES. YES, WE DID.

Interesting. Might I inquire as to the occasion?

YOU MAY. FIRSTLY, WE WOULD LIKE TO CONGRATULATE YOU.

Oh? Have I done something noteworthy?

FOR YOU, PERHAPS. WE INFORMED YOU THAT WE HAD GROWN BORED WITH YOUR ANTICS, AND YOU HAVE SHOWN GREAT RESTRAINT THESE PAST FEW YEARS. WE JUDGE THIS TO BE COMMENDABLE.

I'm flattered. Any chance you've changed your minds on that, though? Because I threatened a pair of knights a couple years back and I'd really like to make good--

NO! WE CURRENTLY FIND SUCH NONSENSE TIRESOME. THE DOVIANS ARE AMUSING ENOUGH ON THEIR OWN; YOUR INTERFERENCE CONSTITUTES OVERKILL.

Ah. Well, I suppose that's your call.

YES. YES, IT IS.

Right. Well, is there anything else? My schedule isn't exactly empty.

YOUR SCHEDULE? WHAT SORT OF APPOINTMENTS COULD YOU POSSIBLY BE--? AH, NEVER MIND. BUT YES. YES, THERE IS SOMETHING ELSE.

And that would be...?

WE WOULD LIKE YOU TO DO SOMETHING. SOMETHING THAT WOULD CURRENTLY APPEASE OUR FICKLE NATURE.

Oh? Would you like another sacrifice? Because I did have fun with the last one, I'll admit.

MAYBE IN A FEW YEARS, BUT WE HAVE TO KEEP UP WITH THE OTHER GODS--AND SACRIFICES ARE NOT FASHIONABLE AT THIS TIME.

Hmm. Well, I'm sure they'll make a comeback before the decade is out.

WE CAN ONLY HOPE. BUT ALAS, OUR TASK FOR YOU IS MUCH MORE COMPLICATED THAN A MERE SACRIFICE. MUCH MORE DEMANDING. MUCH MORE OPEN-ENDED AND DIFFICULT. IN FACT, THERE IS MUCH DOUBT AMONG US ABOUT YOUR ABILITY TO PERFORM THIS TASK.

There is no need for doubt, I can assure you. What is this task?

WE REQUIRE... ONE GOOD DEED.

Oh. In that case, I suppose that doubt isn't entirely unjustified?

NEXT CHAPTER:

6 comments:

Van said...

I imagined a sort of trance-like method of communication, so I figured narrative would contribute very little to this post unless I made a surreal set and some Sims for Deian's contacts (which, let's face it, was not going to happen if it didn't absolutely have to). Hence the odd style here.

I hope the all-caps weren't too daunting; I wanted a way to distinguish Deian's dialogue from the others, plus I imagined several voices in Greek chorus style unison.

Penelope said...

The style worked, highly readable annnddd *gasp!* is that... Farilon in the next chapter?!?

Winter said...

Oh goodness! Yes, please let it be!

The Voice of God(s) was hilarious, in the best way. "We have to keep up with the other gods; sacrifices are not fashionable at this time" - I'm still snorting.

Van said...

Sorry, guys--Farilon has brown hair and would still be a teen right now. That's Tavrin with Celina there, though the lack of nudity may not be the most obvious give-away. :P

Pen: Glad you think the style works here!

Winter: Heehee... that is probably my favorite line for this chapter. I even used it on the Twitter post. Deian's gods are even larger hams than he is. XD

Anonymous said...

The all-caps worked, I think! Death talks in a similar way in the Discworld novels.

But Deian doing a good deed? LOL. I cannot wait for hilarity to ensue!

Van said...

Glad it worked! The Discworld novels are one of those series that I really need to get around to reading one of these days.

Oh, I'm sure Deian feels quite awkward about this... ;)