May 11, 2012

In Which Sparron Considers the Living

November 22, 1178

Thetis and Evera had volunteered to watch the children, and Sparron's father had retired to his study with only Pandora and Thallie for company. There was no one in the room but himself and Jeda, yet still she felt the need to keep herself collected. She'd been their rock these past few days--comforting the older kids, trying to maintain some routine with the younger ones, always ready to cover if Sparron or their father needed a moment alone. The only time she'd had to grieve had been in her dreams.

But she had time now, and she wasn't taking it. Sparron wasn't sure why he found that surprising. Life with the royals must have been a life of brave faces. "Are you all right?"

"As all right as I can be." So 'No', then. Poor girl. "What about you? I'm sorry, I've been focused on Father and the children..."

"It's all right." He wished she wasn't so quick to apologize for such a selfless existence. "And I don't know. Same, I guess."

He left it at that and let the unsaid hang in the balance. The only mother they'd ever known, gone--just when they'd both needed a mother most, if he was honest with himself. But they'd had many good years with Holladrin, more than any of the healers had predicted. She'd fought long and hard, a smile on her face all the while, keeping them grounded through the rough marriages and the problems with the king and Sparron's decline. It must have been struggle, keeping up those spirits while the body withered away. If she'd reached the point where she could no longer manage... well, how could he blame her for letting go?

But for all he should have been thinking of his stepmother on the day of her funeral, Holladrin herself was not one for drawn-out misery. 'It's never a crime to honor the dead,' she'd once whispered to Sparron on one of the many occasions they'd feared would be the end, 'but life is for the living.'

The living. Like Jeda.

"Why don't you spend the night?"

His sister gaped. Sure enough, he'd just blurted it out, but was it such a surprising suggestion? "Sparron, I can't. Ietrin, he..."

"Still won't leave you alone?"

She nodded. "He'll be angry."

And what of it? Didn't that self-important prick realize that his wife was in mourning? And why wasn't he, for that matter? Holladrin had been Ietrin's own aunt! "To hell with him. You and the girls stay here tonight, and let Father deal with Ietrin if he gives you any trouble."

"Father?" Her hazel eyes bulged, lips contracting to an inaudible gasp. "Oh, I couldn't ask that of--"

"You could. He would." Kicking Ietrin's ass might be the best way for Father to relax anyway. "Or I'll deal with him if Father can't. We should all be together tonight and Ietrin ought to know it. Please. For me." For you.

Jeda sighed, the curls framing her face falling back toward her ears. Holladrin had always loved Jeda's curls. "Thank you."

NEXT CHAPTER:

11 comments:

Van said...

Sorry if this was a bit hurried. I'm a little pressed for time these days :S

Cassie said...

Okay, so I know I haven't commented in ages and ages but I HAVE been reading and so I had to come in here and comment on Holladrin's death...because as you know, she was always my favorite. Poor Sparron and Jeda...and poor Octavius, losing the love of his life.

Van said...

Cassie! :D

No worries--life happens, and comments are a little thing. Good to hear from you again, though.

Yes, I remembered that Holladrin is a favorite of yours. Sorry :S This family has some pretty rough times ahead on all fronts. Sadly, Holladrin's death has been in the cards for a long, long time :(

Anonymous said...

Ietrin's ass needs to be kicked.
That is all.
- Scribbles

Cassie said...

It's okay, I was expecting it - somewhat sooner, in fact, so I'm not surprised that this has come to pass. Still always sad to see your favorites go, though.

That poor family. They really do have some shoddy luck...

Van said...

Scribbles: Oh, Ietrin's ass needs to be kicked a hundred ways to Thursday :S

Cassie: She did manage to hold in there for a while, longer than anyone seemed to have expected. But yeah, I know what you mean :(

Epi said...

Good to see Sparron doing something not-utterly-stupid for a change!

RIP Holladrin. She was an interesting character.

Joseph said...

I was going to wait until you'd updated the death thingy in the sidebar before I commented, y'know just because it's official then.

I've been expecting Holladrin to die ever since I saw that she was pregnant. Actually I thought she'd die in childbirth so the fact that she survived a little longer than that is good!

Gotta agree with the comments above. Ietrin is a prick, and a royal pain in the lower back area. I blame Roderick for his upbringing.

*coughcoughSeverin4kingcoughcough*

Van said...

Epi: Jeda did always bring out the best in Sparron. For all we never saw them together, Holladrin probably did too :(

Joseph: Yeah, sorry that didn't get updated right away. I had to get to bed right after I posted this, and then I had to work :S

Holladrin's death has been a long time in the making. But yeah, at least she didn't go in childbirth. Too bad she didn't get more time with the baby (and the rest of the kids!), though :(

Ietrin... yeah, things aren't any better on that front :S

Penelope said...

Gah! I knew she was dead when I left off, but I wonder how Octavius is going to cope.

Van said...

Probably not overly well :S