December 17, 2011

In Which Remiel Gives the Order

May 7, 1177

It was only the wind and Remiel's brain knew it, but his head jerked around to check anyway. You're being paranoid, he scolded himself as he took a moment to recompose. And he was. Sure enough, this wasn't the deepest thicket in the kingdom, but if anyone wanted to reach it they would first have to wade through a not-insignificant stretch of swamp; even out of necessity Remiel himself had barely brought himself to bother. No one had followed him, not this far at any rate. No one would look for him here even if occurred to them. He could leave his work here and it would remain as it was, safe and untouched until his return.

Still. This was the result of uncountable years of research, decades of trial-and-error and countless revisions and numerous dead-ends that had him running back to the start. After all that time, all that effort, all those cambions he'd drained to keep himself alive long enough to finish...

It would have been foolish, not worrying. Foolish indeed.

A frog croaked and an owl shrieked. A breeze whipped through the trees, the unsettled leaves moaning in distress. Remiel shivered. This clearing had eyes; was that how God claimed omniscience?

"Stay." He wasn't sure there was much use in giving orders, but he was anxious enough to try it on the off-chance it might work. "Don't leave this clearing. I'll be back." Eventually... whenever things quiet down around here.

"Just... stay."

NEXT CHAPTER:


5 comments:

Van said...

Hmmm, there's really not much I can do while lugging this Chekhov's Gun around. Maybe I'll just put it down on the mantle for now...

*whistles*

Anonymous said...

He made a Servo!! Holy crud! That's what he was after!

But something tells me that the Servo won't stay there forever. S/he/it'll get bored. And then ... well, then that gun might just go off. :)

Van said...

It's a Servo in terms of the game. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions about what it is in terms of the story just yet, though ;)

But yeah, I don't think s/he's going to want to sit there forever...

Anonymous said...

So he's talking about leaving his 'work' in the clearing and that no one will find it there, so does that mean the servo/possible cambrion/I really haven't got a clue could be what he's been working on for all his years?
And I'm sorry I'm late in commenting, and posting etc. I have awesome news that I just got my new computer with a dedicated graphics card and 8gb ram it's so much better than my laptop but of course something has to stuff up when things are going right and now my laptop won't behave, I can't even get into safe mode to extract all of my files INCLUDING my sim saves and stories, I'm taking it to a shop tomorrow and PRAYING that they can save my files :S
If you don't hear from me in awhile it's because of the above reason, and I don't have a monitor for my computer yet so I'm on my friend's laptop right now, :)

I wonder what Remiel has planned, and I hope Severin gets rid of him, for GOOD.

Van said...

Yikes! :S

I had a similar problem with my new computer back in September (although it was a gradual thing, so I was able to get into safe mode and back up everything before it died entirely). Ended up being hard drive failure. Hopefully they'll be able to salvage your files; if it's not the hard drive, or even if it is the hard drive but it's not too damaged, they should be able to pull the files off.

This goes without saying, but take all the time you need to get everything back in order. My story can definitely wait.

As for what Remiel's up to, we probably won't see for a while. We've got a quick baby intermission coming up, and then it's pretty much tournament time.