December 19, 2011

In Which Arydath's Fears Are Unfounded

June 28, 1177

Arydath kicked the door shut and took a second to catch her breath. She'd never been so late for a birth before, but in her defense she hadn't anticipated being needed. This was Laveria's territory--not to mention, Laveria's great-grandchild--but it turned out Laveria was down with a bad summer cold. There was Arydath's own mother, but she was getting up in years and her bad hip didn't let her take on many clients outside the direct vicinity. That left Arydath herself, startled when a frenzied groom had shown up at her gates with the news of Asalaye's labor a shire away.

Though in hindsight... well, she would have made it here more quickly had she not tried to convince one of the twins to come with her. She had five daughters, two of whom were grown and two more nearly so now, and she'd always hoped that at least one of them would follow in her footsteps. Celina and Feoda, however, were every bit as uninterested as Lyraina and Hilla before them; it had been stupid of her to press.

"Sir Lonriad?"

The young man stiffened, his gaze never leaving the puppy in his hands. Oh, he was a tall strong lad now... but Arydath had pulled him from Lady Alina's womb with her own two hands, back when he'd been one of the tiniest, sickliest babies she'd ever seen. Frankly, she'd been startled that he'd survived; what if his own progeny was not so lucky? Or what of the young woman birthing it? Four babies before Lonriad and Lady Alina had never looked so faint.

"I... I've only been here about half an hour or so." The puppy pawed toward him as if to cheer him up; the poor thing's efforts were in vain. "I was out fishing with Searle. Stupid of me, wasn't it? I mean, we knew it would be soon..." The puppy yipped. Lonriad lowered it to the floor, then turned around to meet her eye. He had his father's eyes, and his had the same look to them that the other pair had worn ten years prior, for two years on end.

Oh, the guilt. She supposed she could sympathize... not that there was much he could've done anyway. "As a woman who's been married twice, let me assure you that husbands are all quite useless when it comes to childbirth. Now, who's in there with your wife?"

"Nanalie, plus Asalaye's maid and a couple other servant girls." Arydath raised an eyebrow. Despite not having any children herself, Nanalie wasn't completely lacking in delivery experience--she'd helped with Lyraina's last labor, and apparently Avine's last two as well if either Lyraina or Asalaye was in a position to know--but witnessing three births hardly qualified one to take charge of a fourth. Then again, someone had to take charge. And who knew? Maybe one of the other girls was a little more seasoned. "I went in there when I got back, but Asalaye swore at me and Nanalie kicked me out. One of the girls left a while ago and came back with a cup of something, but other than that I..."

He shook his head, the rest of his body responding in kind; in an attempt to steady him, Arydath placed her hand on his shoulder. "I haven't heard her screaming since the girl went back in. That's bad, isn't it? If she's screaming, then at least she's--she's--"

"Oh, she's fine, you dolt. I wouldn't expect sex any time soon if I were you, but she's fine."

Lonriad looked up and Arydath spun to meet the speaker. It was Nanalie, lingering in the bedroom doorway--and not unaccompanied.

"I sent that girl out to get some mint tea. I told Asalaye it would ease the pains."

Arydath frowned. All her years of midwifery and not one had she heard such a thing. "Does it?"

Nanalie shrugged. "Probably not; I just told her it would. I did the same thing with my father when he dislocated his shoulder last fall."

Well. That was... "Clever."

"Thank you." Nanalie landed a tickle on the baby's stomach as she carried him forward. It appeared that Arydath's fears had been unfounded; it was a wide-eyed, curious-looking little thing, complete a good complexion and a not-unhealthy size. "Anyway, Asalaye said you wanted to name the baby after your mother. Personally, I think his future wife will find that hilarious."

"A boy?" Oh, that grin. He wasn't the first man to have told his wife he didn't care what she had, and doubtlessly wouldn't be the last to have lied about it. Or maybe she was being too hard on him. He was probably just happy everyone made it out alive. "Can I hold him?"

"All right, but he might be disappointed that you don't have any cleavage to swat at. We've got ourselves a little breast man here."

As Nanalie transferred her nephew into her brother-in-law's arms, the baby looked up at Arydath with his grandmother's wide blue eyes, like he was telling her everything was going to be just fine. She returned the stare with a smile; at this point, it was always refreshing just to get something that wasn't outright bawling.

"He has my mother's eyes."

"And probably my father's nose, but I guess a little fellow can't win them all." Nanalie gave the baby a quick kiss, then turned back to Arydath. "Asalaye seemed fine to me, but if you wanted to look her over yourself, it probably wouldn't be the worst idea."

"I agree." She gave the girl a quick nod, then started off toward the bedchamber. "Well done, though."

Yes, well done indeed...

NEXT CHAPTER:

11 comments:

Van said...

Posting here today because I doubt I'll have the time tomorrow. I have an exam in the early afternoon (which is pretty much morning for me :P), and the I only have a few hours before I have to be at the airport. And I'm traveling eastward, so I'll be losing some hours there. But on the off-chance I do get some time to post tomorrow, it'll be the next Ashelia (and if not, that will be next Monday--PROMISE).

Sadly, this little guy grows up to look almost nothing like his hot daddy. However, he does bear a striking resemblance to his Uncle Had, who's not so hard on the eyes himself.

Aaaand now I'm going to rush out for sushi. And then tomorrow it's supper at the airport bar, and then two whole weeks of home cooking by someone who isn't me. Yay! :D :D :D

S.B. said...

A boy? I love the puppy. I love the eyes. I love the remark about no sex.

I really love the mint tea.

Go and rush and have 2 weeks off and let someone else cook for you. I really want to wish you every good wishes and luck and fortune for a new year and all that. Thank you...

Van said...

My Sims have all been rolling up wants for puppies, so I've been indulging them.

Thanks Beth! I'm sure I'll get a chance to say it closer to the end of the year, but enjoy the holiday season and here's hoping for a much better year.

Anonymous said...

Nanalie. Is. Awesome!!!! She is going to be a great new midwife when Arydath goes (may that day be long in coming!).

Or she'll be a great new midwife when Laveria has the summer cold and Hilla can't get around and Arydath is a shire away. ;)

HOORAY for the new baby! Another Severin for the win! And he got Alina's eyes -- how absolutely adorable. *melts*

Congratulations to Lonriad, Asalaye and New Baby Severin ... and I hope Old Lonriad gets to hear of this, because a) not only will he be happy for a great-grandchild, but b) I'm sure he'll have some teasing to do to Severin about there being another Severin son of Lonriad.

Van said...

She certainly seems to have a knack for the job ;)

Severin son of Lonriad son of Severin son of Lonriad? Yeah, I think Old Lonriad will appreciate that :P

Thanks Morgaine :)

Epi said...

Ah, the naming habits of the Kemorins.

Van said...

They could certainly stand to be a little more creative XD

Anonymous said...

Maybe Nanalie has finally found her calling? :)
I think she definitely has the personality when it comes to keeping calm and thus calming others.
And as for name calling, I have noticed also that after a few generations it's easier to lean back on some older names or at least modify those names slightly.
Yay for baby Severin :D
Another name on the presents list for Severin and Nora lol :P

Van said...

It's certainly possible. She does have a good head on her shoulders, which is pretty much a must for the job :)

Oh, these names will just keep going 'round and 'round :P

Penelope said...

I rather love that the baby is called Severin. Huzzah for Severin, Son of Lonriad, Son of Severin, Son of Lonriad! And may he name his first born son Lonriad as well.

Man, Arydath looks really fancy for attending a woman in labor.

Lonriad was so adorable in this chapter.

Van said...

Lonriad son of Severin son of Lonriad son of Severin son of Lonriad? :P

I guess she didn't have time to change XD