July 26, 2011

In Which Jadin Confirms the Other Half of the Story

July 4, 1175

"Barging into my bedroom now, are you?"

Shrugging, Jadin kicked the door shut behind him. Cold avoidance was an art and Sparron was a virtuoso, but one of these days, he was going to get something out of him--and with any luck, that day would be today. "You don't look like you're doing anything."

"No, but perhaps you have something better do to."

"Frankly, I don't." Christ, how had Searle put up with this for years--and on such a larger scale, at that? And at least Jadin had a sense of the other half of the story. He doubted Searle had a clue and he wasn't sure he wanted to change that. "All you do is sit around and wallow in your own misery and drain everyone else like some emotional vacuum and someone needs to put his foot down. So, that's what I'm doing. I'm not leaving until you get something off your chest and that's final."

He felt himself smiling smugly. Lyssa wasn't old enough to be lectured, but for his first time, he thought he'd sounded rather impressive. But his pride was short-lived; Sparron killed it with a roll of his eyes. "Then I guess you'll be stuck here for quite a while."

What a stubborn ass. No wonder sensitive little Searle had come home in tears all those times. But as he would readily admit--albeit for different reasons--Jadin was not Searle. Jadin was a stubborn ass too. "Come on, have you even thought this through at all? If I had a problem with you--you being--what you do--well, you know... ah, whatever. Point is, if I wanted to ruin your life, don't you think I would've done so by now?"

Sparron just looked at him. How did he not see it? He'd been solving complex puzzles with ease when Jadin had still been struggling with subtraction. He played strategy games with the lords and knights and captains and wiped the floor with the lot of them. He was the most meticulous, methodical person Jadin knew. How had he not considered that? "Like I have a life left to ruin."

Oy. Poor Searle. "Aww, Sparrow--"

"Don't call me that." A tense second dragged on before Sparron's gaze fell upon the empty hearth in front of him. Everyone said that Sparron had his mother's eyes. Jadin had never known Sparron's mother but he'd heard enough to make some educated guesses. "You should leave."

No... no, he shouldn't. Shaking his head, Jadin took a seat on the empty side of the couch and studied his old friend--glazed eyes, vacant expression, everything. Anger, and then this, and then more anger. It was just as Jadin's father had said, all of it. All of it, and perhaps even more. "That's not the only thing on your mind, is it?"

"There's nothing on my mind." It was a quick answer. Too quick.

Too quick, and not quick enough. "I saw it, you know--last week, when I came to try to talk to you and you stormed out of your father's study. I followed you for a minute."

Sparron's knuckles whitened as his fingers coiled inward. Jadin half-expected a punch--he even winced--but Sparron only closed his eyes. "Why did you do that?"

"Not sure, but I did." Sparron didn't press any further. He'd probably forgotten the incident. Maybe it was stupid of Jadin to remind him, but... "You got to your mother's old sitting room and you paused and looked around, like you thought someone was talking to you." The fist tensed further. Not sure if he could stand to watch it burst, Jadin let his eyes fall to the floor as he mumbled the last few words. "But it was dead quiet..."

He didn't know what came after that, if anything. He wanted Sparron to finish it. He wanted him to protest, to say it was only a mouse or the castle settling or even some sort of tick in his neck, anything.

But Sparron said nothing.

"How long has this been going on?" It didn't matter. It had already been too long. "Does your father know about this? Or Jeda? Maybe someone could still help you at this point."

The words were not believed. Frustrated, Jadin forced himself to look back at Sparron; if he hadn't known better, he might have thought the words hadn't even been heard. "Sparron, please say something. Sparron?"

Sparron stood. He wasn't a large man, but Jadin had never thought him small until just then. Maybe this was how people looked as one gazed at them from a differently world entirely. He never turned around, never bowed his head, hardly even stirred--just drifted further and further into space until Jadin's view was obscured by a passing moon.

Silence. Then--

"Don't tell Searle."

NEXT CHAPTER:

12 comments:

Van said...

Okay, I wanted to have this up before going to bed. It is now up. Time to crash.

(Being a productive member of society = slowly killing me)

Penelope said...

Yikes! Oh goodness... Did Medea hear voices? I don't remember. Shocking chapter, Van.

And what is going on with this:

http://naroni.tribalpages.com/

Anonymous said...

Medea heard singing just before she went off the deep end for good and all. So ... maybe?

And oh god. Poor Sparron. And poor Searle! And Jeda, and Octavius, and Camaline and Holladrin ...

:( I don't suppose Tavrin is any good with mental illness? I doubt it but surely it's worth a shot?

Joseph said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT SPARRON. HE'S A FAVOURITE.

*starts panicking*

I think Tavrin tried to heal Medea once but I'm not sure.

Yes he did try to heal her. I was thinking of this post.

http://kingdomofnaroni.blogspot.com/2009/08/in-which-hilla-feels-redemption-in-air.html

In other news, I know this might seem morbid, especially considering the subject matter but are there any deaths planned for this year? (Don't say who, a yes/no answer will suffice.)

Penelope said...

"...it wasn't truly hopeless--I think the kid did heal her, then realized he liked the bitch better as a nutcase and undid whatever it was he did in the first place! Not that I would blame him--and in all honesty, I'm not sure the baron would either."

Florian is so quotablz.

Van said...

Pen: If the singing counts as a voice. We never did get Medea's POV much as she was going under, though :S

Fake Naroni family tree? I'm puzzled as to why someone would go through the trouble of making it and kind of worried that someone might find it and mistake it for the real one. Also, kind of flattered that someone would want to copy the family trees, but that's the minimal emotion here. I just sent a message to the site's admin, so we'll see if they respond.

Morgaine: This whole family is in for a very rough decade or so--like they weren't having one already :S

Well, Florian told Hilla and Laveria that he thought Tavrin had been making some progress, but I don't know how reliable that comment is. He might not have been able to make sense of what was going on, or he might have just made the whole thing up for shits and giggles. You never know with Florian.

But yeah, based on what we've seen, it doesn't seem like Tavrin's area of expertise :(

Joseph: Sorry :(

Yeah, I don't know if Tavrin will try to do the same for Sparron. But this is pretty early on and Sparron is a lot more self-aware than his mother ever was, so maybe there's some hope there.

Uh... 1175 deaths... yes. Two. Just out-of-town relatives, though, and ones we've never met. One of the ones we have met is slated to go in January '76. I don't think any "major" characters are due to die until '78.

Pen again: Wow, it's been a long time since I added quotes to someone's page :S

Penelope said...

Yeah, that family tree was a little puzzling. I couldn't remember the URL for the official one so I thought I'd give that URL a shot and lo and behold-- A family tree with your characters that was not your tree.

Van said...

Yeah, that was kind of a shock.

I didn't get a response, but the site has been made private, which I did request. Still kinda confused about the whole thing, but no harm done, so no matter.

Verity said...

Oh no :( :( :(

Van said...

:(

Chene said...

Okay so i'm well into the chapters I haven't read before, i think my last one was the one where Riona runs away.

I'm on the verge of actual tears right now because of this chapter. I could feel it coming, as time past and Sparron began to lose control of his emotions and sank into depression. I knew it was coming and I never expected this reaction out of myself.
At first my love for Searle and Sparron was simply because they were so cute, and what they were doing was sooo dangerous but it's more than that now. They truly are two of my favorite characters and to see Sparron showing signs of... schizophrenia maybe? It crushes my heart. It hurts me what he's been through; his love for Searle, his fears, the love of his life moving on and having a baby, and on top of all that keeping it secret AND dealing with depression and mental illness. Ugh my baby!

I spent years (the years I wasn't reading) wondering about these two and hoping against every hope that they could be happy. Searles happy, but Sparron...I want happiness for him more than anything else right now!

Van said...

Sorry, Chene. :(

I think Sparron's whole life is a case of too much at once. The depression, the anxiety, the forbidden romance, and now this. :(

Well... even in the present time, Sparron and Searle are still not entirely resolved, so there is still hope for happiness. It'll just be a harder climb.