July 25, 2010

In Which Ovrean Considers the Grand Scheme of Things

September 28, 1167

As the mere stepfather, Ovrean wasn't sure whether or not he had the right to send Lorn to bed early--especially if one considered the fact that the boy was a duke and he himself, only a knight--but the kid had gone without questioning. He knew he'd overstepped a boundary. He knew how hysterical his mother had been when they'd discovered he wasn't in the castle. He knew what he'd done had been selfish, cruel, and unfathomably stupid.

And yet, Lorn had just prevented--or at least stalled--a genocide. The panic throughout the keep over his disappearance seemed almost trivial now; Ovrean just hoped that Celina and the baby were all right.

"He's home," he announced as he stepped into the bedchamber. He heard a sigh of relief from the bed; at least it seemed that Celina had been trying to stay calm, if she had retired so early. "I sent him to bed, but if you want to see him, I could go and get him."

Nodding, Celina ran her hand over her swollen midriff as Ovrean made his way toward the bed. "I'll go to him in a few minutes--I can still walk, and wherever he's been, I imagine he's had a rather taxing day."

Ovrean frowned. "So have you."

"Yes, but now that I know he's home safely, I'm fine," she insisted, "and the baby's still kicking, if you were worried about that; in fact, a little stroll down to Lorn's room and back might soothe him somewhat."

"Fair enough." He sat himself down on the bed and adjusted the pillow, swinging his legs onto the mattress and reclining beside her. She was being awfully quiet--perhaps she thought he hadn't been strict enough? "Anyway... do you care to punish him for this?"

Celina frowned. "Other than being sent to bed early, what has he had?"

"Well, Severin gave him an earful--Lorn had Raia with him, as well as Master Indruion's boy--and then we endured a rather painful silence on the way home. Also, his influence might be somewhat compromised now, since I can't see him making any important decisions without the approval of Severin or Octavius for quite some time."

His wife pursed her lips, then closed her eyes as she considered. "As long as he's learned his lesson, then I don't see the need for anything more extreme, but I'm confused as to how his influence plays into this. What exactly did he do? Did he go against a collective decision?"

From what Ovrean understood, he hadn't--not really. Lorn had just done something on an unprecedented level of recklessness, something that could have easily cost him and his friends their lives... and yet, somehow, he'd gotten lucky. Very lucky. His foolish, childish plan had--against all imaginable odds--actually worked, and instead of killing himself and Raia and Had, he'd saved only God knew how many innocent people. Lorn realized now, Ovrean believed, just how incredibly fortunate he'd been; he knew something like that could never possibly work twice, and he would never do it again. And really, in the grand scheme of things...

"Celina, your son just saved the kingdom."

NEXT CHAPTER:

11 comments:

thewynd said...

Hehe. Poor kid got an earful from Severin...that could NOT have been at all pleasant. It must have been so difficult to know where the lines are when you are dealing with not only adults and children but the hierarchy. Not sure that makes sense, I'm tired.

But hell yeah he saved the kingdom!

Van said...

The hierarchy has definitely been a little blurred since Lorn was added to the mix. Lorn technically outranks Severin and Octavius, but he's young and inexperienced and they both--rightfully so--tend to feel they knew better, Severin in particular.

But yes, at least he saved the kingdom :)

Van said...

Heheh... this was going to be my Author's Note, but Gayl's comment came before I was finished typing it. I love speedy comments :D

Anyway, we're finally done with September here. Actually, I'm skipping October and November--next post will be dated in December, and it will be the last post of 1167. Not that 1168 isn't going to be off to a rocky start...

Anyway, I said this in reply to Morgaine's comment on the last post, but here's my reasoning for the abrupt, anti-climactic "end"--or, at least, "hold"--of this storyline:

1) It took a very long time to figure out exactly how to end this story arc, and after a ton of thought, I determined that it would require a marginally important death, and the person I've judged the most literarily-appropriate sacrifice wasn't slated to die until 1171, and I actually have plans for this character between now and then, so I can't just bump up the death date at this point.

2) I couldn't have had this going on in the background until that time without compromising the rest of the story. Obviously, I have had to kill the occasional character if I wanted to do that. We probably wouldn't be seeing Severin or Lorn or Octavius--or almost anyone else, for that matter--without them being swamped with all the craziness going on, and I have other problems with which to occupy their brains, problems that probably shouldn't be mixed with the whole "Oh my God, people are dying right, left, and center!" worries. We'd have to see a relevant post every once in a while, which would seriously slow the flow of time in the story, and...

3) Well, let's face it--most of the characters would be hightailing it back to Dovia. The story is called Kingdom of Naroni. 'Nuff said :P

thewynd said...

Aww, I can delete my comment and re-post it...

Van said...

Oh, don't do that! It made me smile :)

Anonymous said...

I love Ovrean's closing statement. I think he really said it all.

And I hope -- after Celina's given Lorn an earful herself, because seriously, I think she deserves a chance to tell her boy, "Don't you ever, ever, do that to me again!" -- that Celina's awfully proud of him. Not that she wouldn't be. ... Expecting Celina not to be proud of her children would be kind of like expecting Geneva to take (and keep) a vow of celibacy.

I can't wait to see what you have in mind in 1168 and beyond. :) And I hope you're nice to whoever you're going to sacrifice in 1171 in the meantime!

... Why do I have this horrible feeling that Falidor is going to be the sacrificial victim? (It can't be Florian, I think you promised Florian would make it to 103 or something.)

Van said...

I imagine Celina's got a lot of mixed feelings about now, but pride will definitely be in there after the shock wears off :)

LULZ about the Geneva comment. It's interesting that you mention Geneva, actually... ;)

As for the identity of the sacrificial lamb, I'll give you a hint: It's not someone you would associate with this particular story arc at this point.

S.B. said...

You have this plotted out so carefully and so far in advance?

wow

stunned

I love the way you ended this!! Celina has an incredibly good way with Lorn, probably more exasperated than anything else at the moment LOL! and shocked!

Van said...

Thanks Beth :)

Though... I'm not sure I'd call my planning careful :P There's a lot subject to change at this point.

Celina is great with her kids, but Lorn especially. They're so much alike :)

Penelope said...

Hehe

Lorn may be a duke but he still gets sent to bed like a six-year-old! :D

Van said...

He probably gets told to eat his carrots, too :)