July 20, 2010

In Which Had Understands

September 27, 1167

Lorn ushered Had and Raia toward the couch, then cast a long glance into the hallway, as if to make sure that there was no one else in earshot. After a minute or so, he seemed satisfied; he closed the door, then turned back to the pair of them. "Thank you both for coming."

Had knew he was more advantaged than boys of his age and class in larger kingdoms--hell, his best friend was the daughter of a lord and he'd spent his childhood playing alongside a boy who was now a duke--but never had he thought he would ever receive an official ducal summons. An invitation for a ride or a training session from Lorn was one thing, but an actual meeting in his study? Something wasn't right, and his gut told him this had something to do with the return of whatever creature had killed Lorn's father.

It wasn't a secret. It had been announced the previous day that danger had returned to Naroni. Already, families had begun to pack their things, Had's pregnant sister and her husband among them. His three youngest siblings were with them currently, ready to leave at the first sign of danger; Had's father, still heartbroken after the loss of his mother, had opted to remain on the grounds that it was his duty as one of the kingdom's first citizens, and Had and his sister Nanalie had both refused to leave him. His father was still not in a place of mind fit for being left alone in a dangerous situation--that and the prospect of his own cooking meant yet another dangerous situation entirely.

In any case, Had was here now, as was Raia. Not that he thought anything could really be done; perhaps he was mad in responding to the summons. Beside him, Raia looked up and locked eyes with Lorn. "Lorn, why are we here?"

Lorn sighed. "Well, frankly, I need your help, but I'm not sure if you'll give it to me. Given the circumstances, I understand if you won't, and I hope you don't feel obliged, but... well, it would be nice to have the two of you by my side."

Well, whatever he was talking about, that had certainly been unexpected. Had and Lorn were friends, but he hadn't thought they were that close. Admittedly, though, he couldn't think of any other boys their age Lorn might have trusted more, and given the nature of his comment, he was about to do something risky--something he was reluctant to even bring Raia into, much less Princess Leara. "What do you need us to do?"

As he could have expected, Lorn took a minute or so to consider. Maybe he was rethinking his plans entirely--or maybe he just needed to find the right words. "I'm going to confront Deian."

Silence. The ordinarily verbal Raia didn't so much as stir as she processed the news. Had himself gave even less of a reaction; it was not a thought his mind seemed to care to process.

"You're mad," he stated at last. Secretly, he hoped that Lorn was joking; then again, Lorn wouldn't have had them ride across the kingdom in dangerous times for nothing more than a joke.

"Maybe a little," Lorn admitted, "but I've thought about it long and hard, and I have to do this. I'd like it if the two of you came with me, but if you don't want to, I understand--in fact, I'd have more trouble understanding if you do want to. If you don't come, don't think I won't go alone."

Raia tossed a lock of hair over her shoulder and shook her head. "Lorn, the stress has gotten to your head. Just pack up your family and get ready to leave."

"But you don't understand!" he insisted, though Had didn't really see what there was to understand. If anything, couldn't Lorn at least think of his poor mother? Deian had already robbed her of her husband; she would be beyond devastated if he took her son as well. He was the only one in the room lucky enough to still even have a mother--how could he hurt her so? "Raia, I know what Deian did to your father, and what he said to him. If you put the pieces together, it fits. I have a plan, and I'll admit it's a long shot, but it's better than anything else we have right now. And it's non-violent--your father would agree to that."

Had fidgeted; anyone who knew Raia knew better than to mention her father these days. "My father wouldn't agree to any of your stupid plans, Lorn. My father wants to get the hell out of this valley, and if you had a single bit of sense in that thick skull of yours, you would too!"

Lorn clasped his hands together, shaking them lightly as if to toss a pair of dice. "Look, I know you want to honor your father, and I respect your decision if you choose not to come with me... but please, if you won't help, then at least let me do this.

"I know how much both of you do for your fathers. Please let me do this one thing for mine."

Had exchanged a quick glance with Raia, who rolled her eyes, then pulled herself to her feet. He followed suit; he understood now.

"Fine, we'll come," Raia relented, taking Had's hand in her own and squeezing it tightly, "if only so you have someone to bring back your body."

NEXT CHAPTER:

10 comments:

thewynd said...

Lorn...he has a plan and I actually think I might know what he is expecting. I'm going to zip my lips though in case I am wrong but the mention of doing something for his father sort of prompted it.

This is getting really interesting...

Van said...

Whatever happens here, I promise you that it will be very, very anti-climactic :S

Thanks Gayl :)

Anonymous said...

I'm just afraid Lorn is going to try to make the same kind of deal with Deian that Dalston, Octavius and Severin made with Deian two years ago ...

But since Lorn said he would go alone, and that plan won't work if he goes alone, I can continue to hope that whatever Lorn is planning, it won't get one or more of them killed.

Even if you say it's going to be anti-climactic, I'm still biting my nails! Three twelve-year-olds vs. Deian. Eek!

Van said...

I'll assure you right now that nothing like that is going to happen again any time soon ;)

Lorn's plan would--in theory--work the same if he went alone. He just wants backup and support. His plan is a longshot, but it doesn't make much of a difference if Had and Raia tag along.

Yeah, to think, those guys in the last post weren't sure a whole army would get the job done... let alone three twelve-year-olds :S

S.B. said...

anti climatic? I'm starting to fall in love with Lorn!

Van said...

Lorn is going to be a great man one day, when he learns to think things through a little more :)

Verity said...

Oh dear... this plan sounds seriously dangerous.

And in other news Lorn has cahonies. Hurrah!

Van said...

Dangerous, yet oddly anticlimactic :S

But yep, at least Lorn has his buddies :)

Penelope said...

I shall reserve my thoughts until the next chapter. Apart from this one thought:

Had has the cutest little face! I want to eat him up! D'awww.

Van said...

Had grows up to be very good-looking. I think the only one who grows up nicer at this point is Raia's little brother Lonriad.