June 8, 2010

In Which Florian Proves a Slight Intoxication

March 23, 1167

"...so the troupe leader stares and blinks rapidly for a minute, then says 'All right then, what do you call yourselves?', and then the father says 'The Aristocrats!'" Florian wrapped up the joke, prompting an annoyed glare from Seoth the innkeeper--of course, that wasn't a bad thing.

Nora snickered, as did Seoth's wife. Meanwhile, Falidor turned back to his ale. "I don't get it."

Well, that figured. Florian rolled his eyes. "Never mind, then; you know it's not funny if you have to explain it."

"What is there to explain, though?" Laureina mused from behind the counter. "It's anti-humor; it's funny because it's unexpected."

"Sweetheart, what did I just say about explaining jokes?"

Visibly frustrated, Seoth ran his fingers through his hair. How did he do it? The man just invited agitation, and Florian had never been one to refuse such an obvious request. "Florian, have you ever considered frequenting some other inn? You know... anyone else's inn? Maybe one that's actually within a reasonable distance of your house?"

"Why would I go anywhere else? Of all the innkeepers in the kingdom, you're the only one with a pretty wife," Florian told him, sending a wink Laureina's way. Beside her, Seoth scowled; satisfied, Florian cast a sidelong glance at his friend's sister. "Besides, it's fun coming here and watching little Miss Leonora here flirting with all the eligible bachelors."

"What eligible bachelors?" Nora laughed rather forcefully, scanning the room before her gaze settled on Florian. "All I see are my brothers, two women, and a bunch of grouchy old married crows like yourself."

Over her shoulder, Florian watched as a young man he recognized as Lord Severin's squire turned his head. "I'm not married!"

"But you will be soon!" Florian gleefully reminded him.

Searle's pouty mouth curved into an almost comical snarl. "Shut up!"

Florian dismissed the kid with a wave, then turned back to Nora. "Anyway, how many drinks have you had? Four? You can't tell the difference between bachelors and brothers and women and crows with all the alcohol you've had."

"Oh, I don't know, Florian," sighed Falidor as he pushed his own pint aside. "You'd be surprised just how much liquor her little body can take."

It was true--all those drinks and Nora barely even seemed tipsy. Florian was impressed; his Thetis, bless her soul, had never made it through more than one drink without any obvious sign of intoxication. Of course, he'd've been lying if he said he didn't like it. "Well, then we'll just have to get her some more. Seoth! The lady wants wine!"

He looked over to the innkeeper to make sure he was pouring a glass, then placed his hand on Nora's arm; he wasn't often serious, but he figured there was no better time than three drinks in to tell the woman what he thought. "But really, darling, you're going to have to start looking a little harder; those kids of yours aren't going to father themselves, you know."

Nora snorted. "Florian, I don't know what sort of cock-and-bull story your mother fed you, but I can assure you that my children have already been... fathered, as you say."

Smiling, Florian tossed his head and looked back at Seoth; to his great delight, the man was as tense and irritated as ever. "Oh, are we talking about sex now? I thought we were talking about you trying to land a man."

"Don't the two go hand-in-hand?" she sneered. Nora was usually good for handling Florian's antics, but all of a sudden, she seemed as much of a killjoy as Seoth.

Florian shrugged. "You said it, not me. Now, who is there? You know, I think the baker's still free..."

Nora cut him off with a curt yawn. Florian flinched; no one had ever yawned at him before! "Look, Florian, I appreciate the gesture, and when I want to start looking for a man, then I'll let you know, all right?"

Well, that was certainly blunt. "No need to be rude, Nora; damn, you can't blame a man for trying to help out a damsel in distress, can you?"

"I'm not in distress," she insisted, a cringing emphasis on the last word. "Believe me, I'll manage on my own, and I don't expect to just fall in love with the next man someone tries to set me up with. Do you honestly think no one's tried by this point? I just don't connect to people easily, and if anyone could understand that, I would've thought it would be you, Florian. I mean, Lord knows I've only ever had even remotely serious feelings for two men in my entire life--"

Florian raised an eyebrow. "Two?"

Shaking her head, Nora brushed past him on her way to the door. "Maybe I am a little drunk."

"Who's two?" demanded Falidor as Nora stepped outside.

Florian nodded. "Yes, Jothein and who?"

She cast each of them a parting glare before closing the door behind her. "Idiots!"

Women! Thank God his Thetis was an open book--Jothein must have been an exceptionally clever man if he could decipher a language as cryptic as Nora. But alas, it seemed that even Nora could not go so many years without one little slip. "Who do you think this other man could be?"

Falidor's head cocked to one side as though he were trying to crack his neck. "Don't look at me; I didn't know anything about this until just now."

Florian bit his lip, wracking his brain for any man he knew whom Nora might have been ashamed to admit her feelings for. "Do you think he's too old or too young or married or something?"

Falidor didn't even seem to be listening, but Florian figured it was his loss. "Or maybe he's a criminal, or a madman or--"

"Look, if you're going to make light of a lady's personal affairs," uttered Seoth, who had somehow appeared right in front of him, a bizarre power that seemed to occur in only the gravest and most severe of men, "then it seems to me that it's only common courtesy to cover the tab she happened to leave."

...Women!

NEXT CHAPTER:

15 comments:

Van said...

Sorry if this post seemed a little choppy. I've been writing so much tragedy lately that the lighter posts are now the ones giving me grief :S

Extras will be updated tomorrow, hopefully before I leave for work.

Phoenix said...

♥♥♥FLORIAN!!!!!♥♥♥

Poor Nora!! I always hate when people try to hook you up for your own good and are oblivious to the fact that you don't want the hook up! Blah! I would have yawned in Florian's face as well!:P

Gotta love him for trying though! And Searle in the background? LOL!!

Anonymous said...

Florian!! How have I missed thee? Let me count the ways ...

Seriously though, he should lay off Nora. It's interesting to see how everyone is walking on eggshells around Celina, urging Ovrean to be careful, not trying to rush her, while Nora is getting rushed. But maybe it's a time thing. Jothein did die over a year before Dalston. *she says after shamelessly looking up the death dates*

And I'm wondering who that second guy is -- hopefully someone available and suitable. Right? You've made Falidor's marriage miserable and the random death dates made Jothein go way too soon -- you wouldn't make poor Nora fall for someone completely unavailable, right?

Right? ;)

Van said...

Phoenix: Yaaaay Florian!! :D

Ugh, I know, that always bugs me as well. They usually choose the worst people too (the baker Florian was referring to was the creepy guy who slept with Evaleith in her first appearance).

I originally wasn't going to mention Searle--he was just in the background to fill up space--but I couldn't resist :P

Morgaine: I missed him too :)

Ah, Jothein has only been dead a year longer than Dalston, but there's also the fact that Nora's situation is completely different than Celina's. Celina is a duchess. She lives in a big castle with a bunch of servants, and her oldest son is mature enough to take up his father's mantle. Financially, Celina and her kids are fine.

Nora, meanwhile, is still working for Alina, and she has to keep doing so in order to feed her kids, unless she wants to put a whole bunch of pressure on her little brother Rifden (who is running Jothein's old shop, but is not yet quite as practiced and skilled). She has to leave her kids with somebody all day, usually Evaleith (Alsina's too far away and who would want to leave their kids with Ailede?) unless she takes them with her, and there are enough kids in that castle as it is. She's also been working longer hours to maintain their lifestyle, so she doesn't see as much of them as she might like. Having someone else bringing in some cash would be a huge relief.

But the heart wants what it wants and all.

Don't worry too much about this second guy just yet. We'll find out who he is eventually--Chekhov's gun, ya know--but not for a while. In any case, it might not even be someone we've met at this point *she says as if the story needed more characters*

Whymustallthegoodonesbetaken said...

Omg Yay Florian!
I know that's what everyone is saying but really you struck gold with that character!

I'm extremely curious to know who this mysterious second love is of Nora's. Therefore you should tell us now. Right now. hahaha just kidding..sorta.

Hey guess what I just started writing too..yeah only not with pictures because I'm too lame to figure out how to get it right on here. *pouts
Anyways.. :)

Van said...

Thanks Whymust! :) I love Florian to pieces, but it's been difficult to fit him into the main plot lately. Hopefully I can do something with him in the Sparron-centric arc I'm planning.

I'm not saying who this other guy is just yet, but knowing the Wythleit family luck, he's probably married or gay or otherwise unavailable :P

Hooray! Is it online? If it is, may I please have a link? I'd love to read it :)

(And if you wanted to add pictures, I'd be happy to try to help)

S.B. said...

LMAO Florian yeah...love him but sure wouldn't want him living next door!

And I'm also really curious about Nora's mystery love. Criminal. Madman. Viking prince?

This wasn't a bit choppy! Love it!!

thewynd said...

Florian! Like a bucket of ice on a winter's day. Seriously though I think he sort of has Nora's best interests at heart.

Seoth was hilarious in this too. As if he is ever getting rid of Florian.

This was good Van, not choppy in my humble opinion...

Van said...

Beth: Haha, no, Florian's probably the guy you'd want living two doors down :P

I'm not saying anything about Nora's mystery guy just yet. It'll be revealed eventually, but not for a while.

Thanks Good to hear that it flowed better than I thought :)

Gayl: He does mean well in this particular instance--she's his pal--but... well, he's Florian :P

I need to fit Seoth in more often, especially in posts involving Florian. It would be funny if one of his kids fell in love with one of Florian's--that would certainly make for some interesting interactions between the two of them.

Thanks :)

Penelope said...

hehehe

I disagree with Beth. Florian can live next door to me any day. Only, I imagine that he would be the sort of neighbor who left old cars in the yard and answered the door wearing a wife-beater.

And why is that pub allowing a gentlewoman to hang out and get drunk? I would have thought that Seoth was more conservative than that. His place will be known as "the inn full of widowed sots". I won't even ask why Falidor is allowing this type of behavior. If ever anyone needed to grow a pair, it's Falidor. Maybe Florian has a spare that he could lend to poor Falidor.

hehhehehe Florian.

Van said...

There's probably a website out there with anecdotes about Florianesque neighbors :P

Ah, this is an instance of "Radically Liberal Medieval Dovian" Syndrome. While there are aspects of this society that are definitely archaic, pub life is not one of them. As long as Nora pays her tab, keeps her clothes on, and isn't disturbing anyone, Seoth couldn't care less about her sex, class, or marital status. The only patron Seoth has any problem with is Florian (and Florian did kind of earn the bad reputation).

Falidor's kind of resigned in regards to his siblings and children. The way he sees it, at least they're not as bad as his wife :S

Penelope said...

So about this "keep your clothes on" rule-- How often does Florian break it? :p

Van said...

Probably increasingly often--now that he's got all those kids in his house, he can't shamelessly walk around in his underwear like he used to, so instead, he's off to the pub to instead expose himself to random adults :P

Penelope said...

Well, at least he's goodlooking.

Van said...

Exactly :)