May 23, 2010

In Which Searle Is Shown the Extent of the Worst

January 17, 1167

There were many attractive young ladies in the employ of Lord Severin, and since that fateful day he had woken up and discovered women, Searle had enjoyed the privilege of one or two of their company. Never before, however, had he had the pleasure of a private audience with the lovely Michela, the prettiest maid in the castle. He'd tried--oh, God, he'd tried--but it was only today that she'd given him a second glance.

And oh, what a great day it was going to be!

"Oh, Searle!" Michela moaned between kisses. "You're so good with your hands!"

Well,
I would know, he thought to himself, though he would never admit it aloud. "Why, thank you, darling. Care to see how good I am with some of my other body parts?"

He hoped she didn't notice him cringe; in his head, it had seemed like a suave thing to say, but now that the words were out of his mouth, they were anything but. Fortunately, she only giggled. "Which parts do you have in mind?"

"Oh, I don't know... his earlobes, maybe?"

Horrified, Searle jerked away from Michela and glared at his smirking cousin. "Raia! Wha-- wha-- how long have you been here?"

Raia crossed her arms. "Long enough."

Searle scowled. He liked his young cousin, and usually tolerated or even encouraged her antics, but she had just crossed the strictest line he could have drawn. "Damn you!"

Sending an apologetic look Michela's way, he slipped off the bed and stormed toward the intruder. "What the hell, Raia? I know you're a curious little scamp, but voyeurism? You're an eleven-year-old girl! What would your parents say?"

Tossing her head back, Raia rolled her eyes. "Relax, Searle, I'm not here to watch you get laid. My father sent me to get you; you're needed in his study. The baron's here, and he wants a word with you."

Searle raised an eyebrow. "The baron? What does he want with me?"

"Doesn't a baron have the right to demand a word with a humble squire if he sees fit?" Raia laughed; Searle felt a vein in his forehead bulge. "Maybe it's about his niece--you know, your betrothed?"

"Betrothed?" piped up Michela from the bed--as if the situation hadn't been bad enough.

Frustrated, Searle shoved past Raia and pulled the door open. "Thank you so much for the cock-block, cousin!" he hissed, slamming it shut behind him. God, of all the horrible luck--he'd finally caught the eye of the most beautiful girl around, and it happened to be the same day that the third most powerful man in the kingdom required an audience with him and his idiot cousin didn't even have the courtesy to knock. What ill star had he been born under?

Struggling to hold back his bitterness, Searle pushed open the door to his uncle's study and stepped inside. "Raia said I was needed, Uncle Severin?"

His uncle nodded to him over the baron's shoulder; he wished he could grin back. "Searle. We were just talking about you."

"Anything good?" he ventured out of indulgence, but after his humiliation at the hands of Raia, he wasn't really sure he wanted to know.

Frowning, his uncle turned back to the baron. "Humble, isn't he?"

"He must get it from his father's side," the baron mused. "His mother doesn't have an arrogant bone in her body."

"Yes, but have you not met her fourth brother? He wrote the book on arrogance."

Searle flexed his knee and kicked lightly at the floor. "I'm not arrogant..."

"Oh, we're just kidding around," the baron assured him, turning around and meeting his eye. "Anyway, I have some news for you, Searle."

Well, that certainly told him all he needed to know. "What sort of news, my lord? Judging by your good spirits, I'm disinclined to think it a death."

"Ah, but perhaps it is a death," ventured Searle's uncle slyly as he made his way to his desk and straightened a stack of books, "and perhaps we're in good spirits because it was someone we hate."

"You two don't hate anyone."

"Are you sure? For all you know, we could be very gifted actors and we might actually hate everyone."

Searle rolled his eyes. "I'm sure, Uncle Severin."

The baron laughed. "Searle, I'm never sure whether or not you intend to be humorous. Anyway, I'm here to tell you that I received a letter from my brother this morning. It concerned his daughter--a certain young lady named Valira. I trust you know the name?"

Indeed he did. He grimaced, the corners of his mouth pulling so tightly that his mouth ached. God damn you, Raia. "Yes, sir."

"Anyway, it seems that her parents are eager for some grandchildren and want her to be married before she turns seventeen," the baron continued, "and your parents wouldn't mind a few themselves. She'll be sixteen in early February, so that leaves little more than a year. Since you're here in Naroni, and you plan on being knighted here instead of in Dovia, Tertius and Nearina have decided to send Valira here. She'll be arriving in April."

He felt his eyes bulge; he'd prepared himself for the worst when his betrothed had first been mentioned, but it appeared that he had been unable to comprehend the full extent of the worst. "They want me to marry her as soon as she gets here?"

The baron shook his head. "No, your mother doesn't want you getting married before you turn fifteen, and even that seems somewhat early for her--I think she's a little wary after seeing how your cousin is these days. Valira will be living at my castle until whenever the two of you get married."

"Which will be some time between August and next February, then?" That time sounded even nearer now that he had voiced it. A cold, frenzied pulse surged down his spine; how was it that his bachelorhood had barely begun and was already drawing to an end?

"Yes. In any case, don't trouble yourself about it; if I know Tertius, he'll have everything taken care of himself. Besides, I imagine you won't even see that much of your betrothed when she comes--I don't doubt that my wife and daughters will be keen to monopolize her every waking moment."

Searle allowed his lips to droop into a frown; perhaps his disappointment would be attributed solely to this last speculation. "What a pity."

"Indeed." The baron's mouth twitched into a parting grin. "Well, I'd best be off--if I leave Florian alone for too long with nothing to do, he starts rearranging all the books on my shelves so that the letters from the titles on the spines spell dirty words horizontally. Have a nice day, Searle, Severin."

"Likewise, my lord," sighed Searle.

His uncle nodded. "Octavius."

The baron made his way past Searle and out of the study, closing the door behind him. His uncle also turned as if to leave, but Searle stopped him by stepping between him and the door.

"Uncle, you can't let them do this to me."

Shaking his head, his uncle sighed. "Searle, you know my opinion on arranged marriages, but I'm afraid I'm powerless where your own is concerned. If it's any consolation, I saw Valira on my last journey back to Dovia, and she is quite the young lady. I imagine you'll like her."

"Well, it's no consolation," Searle huffed, his hand balling into a fist; how was it that even the man who had practically raised him was against him in this matter? "She might be the most wonderful woman in the whole world and I may love her very much one day for all I know, but it's the principle of the thing! Aren't I entitled to a little freedom and variety before I'm forced to settle down? From the sounds of it, I'll be married before my older brother, even."

"I understand your sentiments," his uncle stated. "It seems to me that you're disadvantaged by the fact that your betrothed is older than you yourself. Unfortunately, most members of your class have the idea that the only purpose a woman can serve is to marry young and bear as many children as she possibly can; therefore, they marry their daughters as early as possible. Most men of your station are betrothed to women younger than themselves, and therefore are allowed a brief period of gallivanting before--and, let's face it, often during--the marriage. In this instance, however, the view seems to be that making Valira wait for you would be a waste of some of her most fertile years--utter nonsense, in my opinion, but we all know just how valued my opinions are among the Dovian aristocracy."

Searle couldn't help himself; he smiled slightly. "I don't see why they don't listen to you, Uncle Severin; anyone who's ever observed a married couple would know how comparatively useless we men are in all aspects."

"Precisely. I'm glad that you understand that, at least--though bear in mind that it does tend to get rather lonely at the top."

"We just discussed this. We're men--we can't be at the top."

"Point taken. Allow me to rephrase: it's lonely at the top of the bottom."

"Yes, but there's always the bottom of the top conveniently near."

"Watch your tongue; I'll have you know that your aunt is the absolute pinnacle of the top."

"Then why the hell did she marry you?"

"She could tell from the mere sight of me that I'm great in bed."

"I didn't need to know that."

"Yes, but it's fun to watch you squirm."

Searle sniffed. "Go to hell."

"Already been--not sure I'd care to return any time soon," he uncle replied with a chuckle. "Oh, Searle, don't you dare tell me you're too big to give your old uncle a hug."

Relenting, Searle threw his arms around him and groaned. "All right... but just one last time!"

"Liar."

"Shut up."

NEXT CHAPTER:

11 comments:

Van said...

Sorry if this wasn't up to scratch, and that it's late. I've been ridiculously busy lately, and since I'm used to having so much free time on my hands, it seems like I'm even busier than I actually am :(

Phoenix said...

I LOL'ed when Ovtavius mentioned Florian rearranging his books!! LOL!! Good times Florian! Good times!!

That does suck for Searle but hopefully he can make the best of it...or hurry up and get the best before he's married!! LOL!!

Gah! I know what you mean Van! What the crap is up with time going so fast?:P

Van said...

It does seem like the sort of thing Florian would do :)

Yeah, poor Searle's really too young to be getting married, but he does have some time before he turns fifteen, so...

Thanks Phoenix. Yeah, time is being crazy these days :S

Anonymous said...

Oh, Florian! Even when you are not actually in a post, you never cease to amuse! (I wonder if he ever -- back when Medea was alive -- tried that trick on her bookshelves ... oh, that would have been fun to watch.)

Poor Searle-the-blonde-nephew, though -- and poor Valira, for that matter, she's just as much a powerless victim in this as he is. Hopefully those two will get along once they meet.

And I loved, loved, loved the interaction between Severin and Searle! :D That was definitely up to scratch, if not beyond.

Good luck with getting things to calm down a bit, Van. :) Hope your new job is going well.

Penelope said...

At first I thought that whole top/bottom thing was some sort of sexual metaphor but it wouldn't have made sense for the time and location. :p

Van said...

Morgaine: That would have been hilarious if he tried that when Medea was still around. Holladrin thinks Florian is funny and probably would just laugh and rearrange the books before the kids see them, but Medea would have freaked, I'm sure.

With any luck, Searle and Valira will get along, but that almost seems like a detail to Searle at this point. He's a horny teenage boy who wants more time to screw around :P

Searle's been living with Severin and Alina since he was about five. He's like another son to them, only one that they're not worried about screwing up because he's technically not their own :P

Thanks, Morgaine :) The new job is fine, but hectic. I just got back from an eight-hour shift that I found out about yesterday (they fired somebody and gave me his shift).

Pen: Haha, I was wondering if anyone might think that. That was why I choose to go with the preposition "at" instead of the alternative "on" :P

S.B. said...

Searle...OMG just keep on enjoying yourself. Time is short.

And I love the conversation between Searle and Severin! We're men, we can't be at the top. WTF? The women are scrabbling around and working it the best they can, and those guys think they're disadvantaged?

I really REALLY love this!!

PayNayLowp said...

What was your lighting source for the preview pic, Van? I like the warm color.

Van said...

Beth: Yeah, I think he should try to get it out of his system. I mean, he could cheat on his wife and get away with it, given the time period, but it's not like it's her fault they're being forced to get married so soon.

I'll admit to taking a guilty pleasure in writing that sort of light banter between male characters, just because can be so unintentionally stupid :P

Thanks :)

Pen: Thanks :) That's just the fire in the fireplace. I don't really have much for lighting in many of my posts (other than GunMod and assorted buy mode lights), but I find some of my best-lit chapters all have fires in them. Coincidence? I think not :P

Whymustallthegoodonesbetaken said...

That bit about florian thrown in there..pure genius..makes me want to rearrange a few books on my shelves..hahahaha

and the rest of the post...Fantastic as always! You always come down on yourself, making such and such excuse of it not being so great, but its normally ten times greater than I can write on my best days so..there! = )

Can't wait for more!

Van said...

Thanks Whymust :)

Eh... I guess we're all our own toughest critics. Do you have any stories? If so, I'd love to read them :)