May 14, 2010

In Which Leara's Moment Is Preemptively Ruined

December 25, 1166

"Stop jumping on that couch!" shrieked Camaline for about the fourth time. "Have you no respect for the queen's furniture?"

Between bounces, Jadin dismissed her with a wave of his hand. "She can't do anything to me. She's my aunt!"

"And she's my stepmother!"

"And your point is?"

Leara shot a brief glance at her brother, who sat between their sister and his betrothed; she didn't particularly mind Jadin and Sparron's juvenile antics, but it seemed preferable that they stopped before Camaline's protests grew even more unbearable. Ietrin seemed to be of the same opinion. "If you have to jump, do you mind doing so elsewhere? The rest of us need Cam to shut up."

Her lip curling inward, Camaline jabbed him in the ribs with her elbow; Leara rolled her eyes as he winced. "It's Camaline!"

Leara rolled her eyes, only to stumble forward as Raia grabbed her by the arm and pulled her nearer.

"This is getting ridiculous," her best friend muttered, casting a side-long glance at Camaline. "Let's go bother my cousin into sneaking us some wine."

There was an obvious flaw with this plan. Indignant, Leara rocked back and forth on the balls of her feet. "What if Lorn comes? I don't want him to see me drunk."

Raia groaned. "Look, Lorn's a busy man; if he and his family haven't arrived yet, then chances are, they're not coming at all. Besides, it isn't as if one glass of wine will get you drunk enough to do anything too stupid."

From the couch, Ietrin laughed. "Don't be so sure about that, angelface; my sister's not exactly known for her ability to hold her liquor."

He must have been referring to Sparron and Jeda's tenth birthday. As to what she had done that night, she had no idea herself and hadn't been able to find two consistent accounts, but if her brother was still bringing it up six months later, then it must have been embarrassing indeed. "Shut up, Ietrin!"

Her brother laughed. "I never thought it was possible to make such an ass of oneself before--thanks for proving me wrong, sister."

Pleadingly, Leara looked to Raia for help; if one was willing to stay up late and hold back her friend's hair while she vomited, then chances were that one wouldn't think twice about defending said friend. Indeed, Raia did not fail to rise to the occasion. "A little rich coming from a boy who had half a glass at my parents' anniversary and then spent a quarter hour attempting to woo my grandmother."

Shocked, Leara relented and allowed herself the indignity of gaping at her brother. She, Camaline, and their younger half-siblings had all been ill that night, and of their parents, Ietrin, and Elhina, none had wished to discuss the party in depth. She now knew why. "Laveria? She's got to be at least fifty!"

Ietrin swallowed. "In my defense, she doesn't look fifty."

Raia frowned. "She doesn't look thirteen either."

"But she does look like you, honey," he added with a wink.

"I see. Does the resemblance extend the the impact of the left hook?"

He shuddered. "For a woman who claimed she hadn't had to hit a twelve-year-old boy in twenty-two years, she didn't seem all that rusty."

"Reminiscing about your failed romance with his lordship's mother, Ietrin?"

Leara smiled as Lorn shut the door behind him. "Sorry I'm late. There's been a horse theft problem in one of my villages, and we finally found the culprit. Anyway, I'm here now."

"Told you he'd come," muttered Leara as Raia's eyes narrowed.

Still prancing about on the couch, Jadin cackled. "Sounds like somebody likes you, Lornie-boy. Not a bad catch, I must say."

"Does it count if his father caught her for him?" asked Sparron.

"I think it was her father who caught him for her. Damn, I hope no girl's father ever catches me--Lorn got lucky, but have you ever seen what caught my uncle after my mother left him up for grabs?"

Raia tossed back her dark locks and sighed. "Shut up, you idiots."

"Yes, you're ruining their moment," agreed Jeda.

Camaline snorted. "As if they had one in the first place."

The baron's daughter squirmed in her seat. "It's preemptive!"

"Preemptive? You can't prepare for a moment--and even if you could, you're not exactly doing so yourself!"

Shaking his head, Lorn approached Leara and lifted her hand to his lips for a kiss; the warmth of his mouth somehow reached her face. "What children. Anyway, the adults are about to dance, much to your parents' chagrin; would you perhaps care to join me?"

If she hadn't been blushing before, she most certainly was now. Leara wasn't in the habit of asking her melodramatic stepmother for guidance, but she felt the sudden need to know just how older women managed to restrain that treacherous pink tint; she'd have to steal a word with Laralita the next chance she got. "I'd... like that."

NEXT CHAPTER:

7 comments:

Van said...

Sorry about the continued drag :(

Also, sorry about the drabbly filler. However, this is the last post of 1166, and looking at my outline for 1167, we are definitely going to need some drabbly fillers to sustain the balance of light and dark here :S

In other news, sims need a preteen stage. What are the odds that four out of four ten and eleven-year-old girls in a room will actually have cleavage? I only have one dress mesh that seems to play down the bulk of that area, and it is very much a character-dependent outfit, I think. It's the dress Jeda's wearing in the preview. I first saw it on Lothere's Gwynn and wasn't entirely sold. I then saw it on Morgaine's Dilys and loved it. Tried it on Jeda and liked it. Tried it on Camaline and nearly had a seizure. I have determined that it is very much a "shy girl" dress.

But I suppose that busty, somewhat squat teens are better than the alternative, which is lanky children whose gowns are far too short. Teens have more available interactions, too, which is why I age them up at the ridiculously early age of ten (well, that and sheer impatience).

Anonymous said...

Even if it is drabbly filler, it's adorable! Lorn and Leara are too cute. :) (And Lorn getting in a shot at Ietrin -- priceless! Even if Jadin does not continue in his father's footsteps of managing the king too well for the king to figure it out, we have hope for Lorn!)

Sims probably do need a preteen stage -- and a middle-aged stage, for that matter. But I do love that dress. I think I nabbed it for Dilys when I first saw it -- but you're right, it won't work for everyone. It certainly wouldn't work for, say, Delyth, Garnet, Heloise or Babette (even if it was acceptable for merchant girls).

There's nothing wrong with sheer impatience. ;) Sometimes you need a bit to get things done.

And *gulps* 1167 isn't when the Naron come back, is it? At least not until near the end of the year? The two-year anniversary of Dalston's death won't be until October!

Van said...

Thanks Morgaine :)

I'm really liking Lorn and Leara. I figured that of all the couples betrothed since childhood, it would be nice if at least one of the more major ones turned out to actually like each other :)

It may not be too late for Ietrin to learn how to manage himself (even though at this point, I kind of doubt it). Lorn is probably the best choice at this point. Jadin is really immature right now, but he's acting somewhat like his father does in some of the Dovia Diaries posts, so maybe he'll grow up at some point (and hopefully not develop the sort of over-consciousness that is beginning to take its toll on Daddy Dearest). As for Sparron, we haven't seen enough of him to make any calls just yet.

Yeah, I like that dress, but definitely not on everybody. Some dresses are very sim-dependent--only on blond sims, only on sims with the third skin tone, etc.--but this is the first one I've encountered that seems to have such a strong association with a certain personality trait in my mind. Hmmm...

Unfortunately, the Naron don't necessarily have to be around for tragedy to strike :(

Phoenix said...

Well at least Lorn and Leara get along!:) That's always nice. Wait..wasn't there another couple like that? I can't remember!

Ietrin is just...wow he's obnoxious! He's so spoiled it's not even funny! Gah!

And hey, I've seen girls that were half as young as me that have cleavage. Err...of course they have push up bras but still!:P

And oh no! Not MORE tragedy! It kills me every time!:(

Van said...

Was there? I can't remember either. Maybe in Dovia? In any case, I think they're the only ones in this generation of Naroni citizens. The only other betrothed kid couples are Ietrin and Jeda (and we all know how that's going) and then Sparron and Camaline (and we haven't really seen them interacting, but I get the sense that they're both rather blase about the whole thing).

Ietrin probably needed that punch from Laveria XD Not that it helped much...

Oh yeah, some girls develop really young. I swear, I myself went to bed one night when I was about eleven, then woke up with C-cups :S But some girls have a much longer wait.

Alas, more tragedy is nigh. Sorry, Phoenix :(

S.B. said...

Lorn and Leara are adorable! And yes, a preteen age would be useful, but you do what you can do with what you got to work with. The image comes through. They are beautiful, just beautiful!

I think Ietrin is a lost cause. It's hard to imagine what sort of impact would get through at this point.

NO! Not more tragedy! But you are weaving this so perfectly, when it comes, and I'm sure you're right, it will come, it will fit.

Van said...

Thanks Beth :)

Haha, you might just be right about Ietrin. He's certainly going nowhere fast. He's his parents' son, to be sure :P

Unfortunately, the tragedy must occur. Sorry :(

Thanks again :D