May 17, 2010

In Which Holladrin Sees Enough

January 6, 1167

As difficult as he was, Holladrin loved her brother--and as difficult as some of them were, Holladrin loved her brother's children.

However, seeing as Ietrin and Camaline were betrothed to marry her own two stepchildren and therefore frequent visitors, she figured she was justified in thinking that she saw a little too much of the pair of them for her liking. The fact that they happened to be--and it pained her to think such things of her own niece and nephew--the two least agreeable of Roderick's offspring didn't help matters much.

Indeed, it was almost painful to watch them interact. Jeda was not an outgoing girl by nature, but she tried--she tried so hard--with Ietrin. She started conversations. She asked questions. She resisted the urge to slip away into whatever sanctuary lay in her daydreams. And yet, Ietrin could not be bothered to notice. He flirted with maids, nagged manservants, and teased Camaline and Sparron; very rarely did he even look at Jeda.

The dynamic between Sparron and Camaline was, in some ways, even worse. It wasn't as if they were hostile--indeed, in principle, they did not seem to have any problem with each other. They spoke, and they did so politely. They did not need to be prompted into discourse as was the case with Ietrin, nor did they allow any sentence to go unreplied, but such a stiff tension lay within their every exchange that Holladrin couldn't help but feel rather saddened. They interacted like diplomats; they were civil because they were resigned to their fate, and she did not think that was any way for children to feel.

"You know... we don't get many nice days like this in the middle of winter," she ventured, figuring this awkward visit had run its course. "Perhaps you children would fancy a ride? I can't imagine you have much to catch up, since you did see each other last week."

Sparron sent her a quick glance of gratitude; meanwhile, Jeda fiddled with the ties on her sleeve. She really did seem to like Ietrin, which as far as Holladrin was concerned, was all the more unfortunate. Jeda may have only fancied him because she knew she would marry him when they were older, but that did not make his indifference of her any less painful, Holladrin was sure.

"Riding? For fun?" sniffed Camaline, as if she'd never heard a more absurd idea. "I think not."

Ietrin rolled his eyes. "You do realize that everyone else in the world does it, don't you, Cam?"

His sister smacked his arm with the back of her hand. "How many times do I have to tell you not to call me that?"

"At least once more, Cam."

"Why you--!"

And this was another reason Holladrin wasn't too keen on Roderick sending his children to see hers whenever they had nothing better to do any given afternoon; they were so loud and so socially dominant that neither of her comparatively mild-mannered stepchildren ever got a word in past the inevitable point where Ietrin and Camaline saw fit to just start arguing with each other. Holladrin loved the pair of them--she really, really did--but some people were easier to love from a distance. The next time she saw her brother, she would have to tell him to allow for a little more time between these audiences. "Ietrin, Camaline... please..."

"Sorry, Aunt Holladrin," Ietrin apologized hastily as he rubbed his arm. "My sister punches like a man."

As she could have predicted, this earned him yet another slug. "Ouch!"

"His right upper arm is his weak point, Jeda," Camaline announced. "Believe me, when you have to live with him, you'll need that knowledge."

Ietrin seethed at her. "Jeda wouldn't hit me. She's a lady--unlike you!"

She thrust her palm across his face, the sound of the impact echoing throughout the room; Holladrin's eyes narrowed. "Shut up, Ietrin!"

"Not if you don't stop hitting me!"

"Why do you think I'm hitting you in the first place?"

"Bite me!"

Camaline glowered, her fingers twitching as her acid eyes bore through her brother's skull. "I don't even think I can say what you are in front of Aunt Holladrin."

Ietrin snorted. "And you call yourself a lady."

"She's going to hit him again, isn't she?" muttered Jeda to Holladrin out of the corner of her mouth. Holladrin sighed; this was getting rather out of hand, to say the least.

"You know, it's getting rather late," she told her niece and nephew the second she managed to find a break in their bickering. "Your parents will probably want you home soon."

Nodding, Camaline rose to her feet, her brother following suit. "I suppose there's not much else I care to discuss anyway. Besides, Father said that we have to meet Leara at Armion."

Ietrin grinned. "I wonder if Xeta will be there."

"She's nine, you know," hissed his sister.

He merely shrugged, seemingly oblivious to the presence of his betrothed. "Ten in May, Cam--ten in May."

NEXT CHAPTER:

9 comments:

Van said...

Sorry that this wasn't up last night :(

Van said...

I can't imagine it would be easy for anyone to take a large dose of either Ietrin or Camaline, much less both at once :S

Clearly, beatings have not worked with Ietrin :P

Anonymous said...

Oh my God, I want to smack that boy! Now, granted, my brother and I were just as bad at that age (only I was the older one), but not in front of other people -- other important people, like, you know, future spouses!

Sparron and Jeda both deserve so, so much better. I wonder -- since this wonderful double match was all Geneva and Medea's idea, could Holladrin possibly persuade Octavius to call them off? (It's not like there's any shortage of noble folk for Jeda and Sparron to marry. *points at the Kemorin brood*)

Sparron and Jeda both seem too nice to have to go through what Octavius went through. :( What can I say, the reader in me wants everyone to have a happy ending ... even though the writer in me knows that probably isn't possible, or in the end, desireable.

Van said...

My little brother and I are still that bad, but yeah, not in front of other people and certainly not in front of any of my boyfriends or his girlfriends :S

Sparron and Jeda are both doomed if Ietrin and Camaline don't grow up. He's only twelve and she's only ten, but still :S

Hmmm... I'm not sure Octavius would call the engagements off. He might see it as an insult to Medea's memory, and after that whole fiasco near the end of her life, plus how she pretty much saved the kingdom by helping him and Severin get out of Hell, that's probably the last thing he wants to do. Plus Roderick would be pissed, I'm sure.

Severin's hoard of unattached children! Oh man... the Kemorin kids must seem like the oil sands to the other nobles--this huge reserve that nobody can tap without making a huge mess of everything everywhere :S

Alas, it sucks that bad things happen to good people, even in fiction :( But I can't imagine either of them will be reliving their parents' marriage. Camaline doesn't hate Sparron's guts, nor does Ietrin hate Jeda's. At this point, I don't either marriage is going to be great, but at this point, I doubt either of them will be as miserable as Octavius and Medea's life together.

Penelope said...

Well, I guess it all depends on what they expect out of a marriage. If they're looking for romance, they might be out of luck. But it's difficult for me to gauge what their lives might be like since I don't have an idea of Sparron and Jeda's personalities.

Heh. However, I am developing a soft spot for Sparron.

Penelope said...

And by Sparron I mean Ietran.

Penelope: She's living proof that man cannot stay alert by coffee alone.

Van said...

True. At this point, I'm not sure that romance is Sparron or Camaline's top priority, so they might be fine. I'm more worried about Ietrin and Jeda right now, but that may just be because we know them a little better.

I have a bit of a soft spot for Ietrin too. He's a total brat, but I love him.

S.B. said...

Romance in that situation is a luxury neither Sparron or Camaline can probably afford.

Ietrin is a brat, but I agree, I'm sort of intrigued and fascinated with him! So he's mouthy.

Van said...

Oh, probably. I can't really see someone like Camaline falling for someone like Sparron, and vice versa. They may be able to reach some sort of compromise and just get along, though.

We're going to need an Ietrin POV one of these days :)