October 5, 2009

In Which Had Tells of Another

September 17, 1162

"So," began Had with a grin as he and Raia planted themselves on the floor of the attic bedroom; it had seemed an eternity before their mothers had finally allowed them to break away from their younger siblings, and Had had been waiting anxiously for the opportunity to tell his best friend his news for quite some time now. "You're never going to guess what I saw last week."

He paused there, waiting for a response; while it was true that she was never going to guess, he did want to see her try.

"What?" Raia inquired with a shrug. "Your papa talking to Goodman Diarn about how you're going to marry Lyraina?"

As the thought entered his head, Had shuddered. "Ew! No way--why would I be smiling about that?"

Raia frowned. "I thought you and Lyraina were friends."

"We are," he assured her, "but I don't ever want to get married to anyone."

"Amen to that," she agreed. "Anyway, what did you see?"

Slowly, Had pulled himself to his feet, gesturing for Raia to follow suit. He then leaned toward her, pushed a lock of her hair out of the way, and aligned his mouth with her ear.

"Well, I was out hunting with my papa," he started, "and we were in the forest, and my papa went chasing after a deer and told me to stay in the clearing for a few minutes. Anyway, I did, and guess what I saw in the bushes?"

Impatiently, Raia tapped her foot. "What?"

"Your mysterious naked boy!" laughed Had. "Right there, in the bushes--no clothes and funny eyes and marks on his face, just like you said!"

Raia grinned slyly. "You saw him too? Did you talk to him? Isn't he stupid?"

Had shook his head. "He seemed really shy, actually; left as soon as he noticed I was there."

Her smile then faded into a frown as she raised an eyebrow. "He wasn't shy at all when I saw him."

"I know, but he was this time. He was just sitting there real still and quiet; I only noticed him because I saw his blond hair through the leaves--"

Clearly startled, Raia blinked. "Blond?" she repeated in disbelief.

Had nodded. "Yes. Why?"

"Well, the one I saw had black hair."

"...oh."

For a moment or so, they simply stared at each other, a mutual understanding passing between the two of them. Finally, Had decided it was time to put words to their shared thought. "So... there's two of them, then?"

"At least," Raia confirmed. "Who knows? There might even be more."

"Maybe."

Silence conquered them once more. Had fidgeted; while being party to this scarce, nearly forbidden knowledge was somewhat exciting, he had hoped that sharing it would have been more fun than this.

However, Raia seemed to sense his discomfort, as she held out her hands and giggled. "Come on, Had--let's go see if your papa will take us for a ride."

NEXT CHAPTER:

11 comments:

Van said...

Blaaaaah, sorry about the hurried ending. I just felt the need to get something up after that killer essay, plus I'm gone for Thanksgiving over the weekend (in Canada, it's the second Monday of October, so I'm leaving here on Friday) and will likely be without internet for that time, so I figure I'd better try to post as often as I can before then.

Also, because there's no way I can expect anyone to remember every character in this story, Had is the son of Adonis and Honora. I think we saw him once as a toddler.

thewynd said...

I think I made the fish dizzy...

And there's 2 naked forest boys...I love how the children in your world interact. They are so "grown up" and you not.

Happy Thanksgiving! Hope the essay wasn't too frustrating.

Van said...

Thanks Gayl :)

Sometimes I wonder if I'm not doing my kids justice by not making them all that childlike, but I guess it's all right if there are no adults around and it's a child's point of view, as children generally don't perceive themselves and their peers as childish, if I remember being a kid.

Ugh... the essay... it was supposed to be 1500 words, but after going through and adding more unnecessary adverbs and adjectives than I cared for, I called it quits at 1050 and submitted it anyway. Essays are not my strong suit at all. They're the only reason I never had a 90 average in high school.

thewynd said...

I actually think they are very child-like in the way you portray them. Given the adults around them for the most part are nobles of some sort, I would think that the kids would behave in a similar manner.

Not sure if that made sense...I'm a bit tired.

Van said...

Yeah, that is true. Had's parents are only middle-class, but he hangs out with Raia and her brothers, so I guess they rub off on him somewhat.

Thanks :)

Phoenix said...

Hahaha!! I love your kids!! And Raia's 'Amen to that' killed me!!

Thanksgiving is early in Canada(or maybe ours is just late in the US!). Glad to see that those essays are out of the way. I loved doing essays(I told you that before). Maybe it's because I talk to so much!:P

Have a good vacations!:D

Van said...

Thanks Phoenix :)

Yeah, I never understood why they don't just have a universal date for Thanksgiving like they do for other holidays. It just seems weird to me.

Penelope said...

Dun, dun, DUN!!! There's a blond one now?? But I thought- The crazy lady with the twins- And now a blond???

Is there any chance the blond is Geneva's son? :p

Van said...

The crazy lady with twins also had a crazy friend with twins, remember? :P

cheripye said...

LOL! ok so now there is a blond stupid running about amongst the kids, that I can only imagine has to be part of either the crazy one or the cheating one's... especially when she managed to disappear so easily LOL!

And hmmm... Had and Raia are truly very close! I love your depiction of the children in this it is humorous, enchanting and oh so real. 80)

Van said...

Yep, there are at least two of them, although one is considerably bolder than the other, it would seem.

Thanks Cheri :)