March 14, 2009

In Which Severin Hears the Bittersweet

January 15, 1157

Why wasn't she in the hall with everyone else? Viridis, Duchess of Luperia, had never been a particularly anti-social person... so why was it that she sat alone at the table outside while all the other guests could be found talking and laughing and joking inside? Something must have been troubling her.

"You look like you could use some company," Severin greeted her; he figured the worst she could do was scold him, and at twenty-four, he was too old for that now.

Oh, but maybe talking wasn't the best idea, he realized a second too late. After all, since the last time he'd seen Viridis, he'd eloped with the woman who had been set to marry her only son and had two children with her. Of course, the fact that he'd missed Rudolphus and Eudocia's wedding didn't help much either. She certainly would not be happy to see him.

But his stepmother smiled slightly as she gracefully rose from her chair. "Welcome home, Severin... well, home to Dovia, anyway."

"It's good to be back," he admitted as they embraced. "How is everyone?"

"Very well," she replied. "Have you seen your father yet? He misses you terribly, you know."

Severin raised an eyebrow. "Does he? I find that rather... surprising."

Frowning, Viridis shook her head. "He loves you, Severin."

He didn't say anything; that was the one statement to which he could not reply. It wasn't as if he doubted that it was true, or even that he did not wish it--he just preferred to avoid thinking about his father at all costs.

"Anyway, thanks for sending those toys for my children," he acknowledged his stepmother with a smile. "Raia loves them, and I'm sure Jadin will too once he's old enough to appreciate them."

Viridis laughed. "It was a pleasure, Severin. I still have no grandchildren of my own, so you can expect me to thoroughly spoil your babies."

"Until Rudolphus and Eudocia have some of their own, that is," teased Severin.

"It will be quite some time before she can persuade him to share her bed," Viridis sighed. "It's rather amusing watching the two of them interact. Those Minara girls are both rather... eager, shall we say? Fortunately for us, Eudocia... well, let's face it, she isn't the nicest thing to look at, so we don't really need to worry about her doing anything that wouldn't honor your brother. Of course, this does prevent Rudolphus from wanting her, so... I guess I'll never have a little granddaughter named for me," she finished lamely.

"Well, I'll have you know that I plan to name my next daughter for you," he declared. "Viridis Kemorin. Viridis of Veldora... has a nice ring to it, does it not?"

She giggled. "The alliteration is rather charming. But don't you be worrying about naming any daughters for me; God knows you have your own mother to name your next daughter after."

"Ah, but she was always busy when I was a boy! You practically raised me, and you know as well as I how difficult it is to come across a woman who would so graciously and willingly be a second mother to her husband's bastard."

"Severin?" she addressed him suddenly, as if she'd barely heard a word he said, her face as grave as he ever remembered it being. "Do you mind if I confide in you? I know no one else I can trust with this."

Her tone worried him. Viridis was not a woman accustomed to dark secrets and whispers; normally, she was perfectly content to let free her thoughts, and no one particularly minded because she was so lovely and pleasant. If Viridis felt the need to keep something inside, then it couldn't possibly be anything good.

"All right..." he began, trailing off slightly, as though he should have said more, but could think of nothing else.

Viridis's brown eyes flickered toward the wooden platform upon which they stood, then back to him. "Forgive me if I sound awkward. You're a grown man now, and a father of two, so I trust you have at least a superficial knowledge of... what goes on in the bedroom, correct?"

He nodded. "What did he do? Who is it this time?"

"Oh, no, it's nothing like that," she dismissed hurriedly. "Severin... how often do you think a grown person should go without sex? Maximum"

"Oh, no longer than a week," Severin answered promptly.

His stepmother's eyes narrowed. "Allow me to rephrase. How long do you think a grown woman should go without sex?"

This question was a bit more difficult. How long could Alina usually go without sex, under normal circumstances?

"Uh... no longer than a week," he stated once more, though not with quite the same degree of certainty.

"You two will have more children than you will married years," sighed Viridis, "but never mind. Severin... you understand that your father and I have been...er, on the rocks, shall we say?... for several years now? Since before you were born?"

"Yes...?" he pried. He knew where this was going; Viridis had met a man! She certainly did deserve it, and naturally, he was very happy for her, but he understood why she would want to keep that to herself. Her social circle surely would not approve of a married woman taking a lover.

"Well, a woman can only go so long without that sort of... exercise," she continued tentatively. Oh, perhaps she would tell him who it was; he tried to think of any men he knew who were worthy of her. "So last month, your father, uh... well, one can only say 'no' so many times for every 'yes', correct?"

Oh.

She wasn't finished. "And it's the damnedest thing, Severin. I'm forty-four years old, but... well, it's been a month, and..."

OH.

He didn't know whether he should come off as congratulatory or consolatory. "Er... that's... great?" he choked, hoping he looked natural.

"Oh, Severin, you silly boy!" laughed Viridis. "It's nothing I can't live with--in fact, I'm quite in love with the idea of another child after all these years. I just don't want your father to think he's won. Selfish of me, I know, but... are you all right?"

"He'll find out eventually," Severin muttered, reluctant to raise his voice any further. "Are you worried about what he'll say?"

"Severin..." she soothed gently.

He frowned. "He won't let you take this lightly, you know."

"Severin, your father is not a bad man," Viridis stated bluntly. "I agree that he is not an honorable man, but that alone does not make him a bad man. He was always a good father to you, if you remember."

Reluctantly, he had to admit that it was true. His father had been good to him... directly.

"Well, maybe you'll have that pretty little girl you both always wanted," declared Severin. "And good luck breaking the news to Rudolphus; I daresay the mental images will cause him to lose a week's worth of sleep."

She laughed her musical little giggle once more. "Oh, Severin! I'm so glad you're back, I hope you realize."

He had been too, but now he wasn't so sure. Now, he would have to speak with his father, and probably his brother too. He'd been hoping to enjoy the wedding--Lileina was his niece now, after all--but now, he would be preoccupied the entire time.

And what if it wasn't only this wedding? What if he pulled a stunt like this at Severin's next niece or nephew's wedding? Who was next, even? Lileina's older brother, perhaps? Or maybe Alina's second sister's oldest daughter? And all of Alina's brothers were still unmarried... oh God, what if his father ruined Raia's wedding for him? Or Jadin's? Or--?

"Severin?"

Snapping back to his senses, he tried to smile as his stepmother threw her arms around him once more. At least the larger part of her did want this, he assured himself--if only it could have been more than bittersweet.

NEXT CHAPTER:

13 comments:

Penelope said...

LULZ @ Severin imagining his father ruining every wedding for the next twenty years.

But he can't just run off and tell Rudolphus and his father about this, if for no other reason than the fact that he promised to keep the secret.

I really like Viridis's dress.

Penelope said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Penelope said...

Ach, sorry for the double.

Van said...

No worries :)

I don't imagine he'll actually mention this to them specifically, but he probably feels obliged to chew his father out for not leaving his stepmother alone, and maybe to warn his brother to keep an eye on the two of them.

I ended up getting a bunch of new stuff from Sim Ages, via the pirate site. Viridis's dress came from there, as did Roderick's new everyday outfit that we saw a few chapters ago.

lothere said...

I'm a bit confused... what does Severin think his father is going to do to spoil this wedding? Crow over his victory?

And especially for the next and the next? :-o

Is their relationship just THAT awkward between them?

I *love* that dress mesh too but with that skirt (and that décolletage) it's not 11th-century enough for me. I had Eadie wear it to Brit's wedding (since she was sitting down the whole time anyway) and as I recall there were comments about her cleavage. SHE'S NURSING, OKAY??

Van said...

Basically, Severin is just annoyed that his father did something that will occupy his mind for the entire time he's there. Lonriad has a tendency to do that, which is part of the reason their relationship is so strained and awkward.

Yeah, that dress isn't exactly right for the time period. A lot of custom content isn't, which is why I chose to have everyone originate from a fictional country. That way, I can just say in my mind "Oh, Dovia was pretty advanced for its time". And yeah, that mesh does seem to magnify the cleavage. Oh well. Viridis is pregnant, after all, so maybe the hormones are causing her to swell significantly in that area.

eclectictsunami said...

Severin makes the awesomest faces :D :D
Viridis' dress is gooooorgeous. I love that shade of blue!

Van said...

Severin is the reigning Naroni champion of facial expressions :)

I like that blue too. That site really has some nice stuff, in very pretty colors--it's unfortunate that it's a paysite really. Oh well, at least there's the pirate site :D

Phoenix said...

Oh wow! She's preggo?! After that one time? I guess one time is all it take huh?! LOL! I'm surprised his dad doesn't have any more kids hanging around!

I LOVED the pic of Severin with his thumb up!! Haha!! Great!

Van said...

Oh, he probably does have a lot more kids running around, but he's not involved in any of their lives, and probably doesn't even know about their existence. The only reason he was ever involved in Severin's was because Laveria was the only one of his mistresses who ever put her foot down and said "You know what? You're going to be a daddy to my kid".

I just had to take that picture when I saw it. I wasn't even aware that sims did the thumbs up gesture until then :)

Verity said...

Loved the goofy faces Severin was making. Way to be subtle dude.

Van said...

Heheh... that sim was soooooo good to me while I was taking those pictures... :)

Adie said...

Awkward conversation is awkward!