March 15, 2009

In Which Octavius Lives for a Moment

January 15, 1157

Despite how happy he was to finally be around his brothers again, Octavius couldn't help but feel as though his wife was not enjoying herself. He knew that she wasn't particularly fond of his family, but it was her brother's wedding; he would have thought she might have at least been in a good enough mood to make an effort to be pleasant.

"Medea?" he addressed her as he broke away from a conversation with his brother Quartus and approached her. "Medea, are you all right?"

"What do you think?" she snapped back at him. "My brother, the earl, is marrying the daughter of a baron. A baron! I blame Lonriad for this, you know--if he'd taken the time to make a daughter with his wife instead of wasting it all with his pagan slut, then perhaps I wouldn't be the only woman in this damn kingdom who married beneath her!"

Octavius sighed. "Medea, be reasonable. You are a baroness in Naroni, and you have a daughter who will one day be queen."

"My daughter. What about me?" demanded Medea. "Has anyone ever given a rat's ass about my happiness? I don't think so! And to top it off, I'm stuck here on this balcony, with your despicable brothers. I hope they know I hate every last one of them--especially that awful Septimus."

"Guess what, Medea?" Septimus laughed; Octavius was pretty sure that he had overheard her. "I'm going to be your priest at Tetran!"

Octavius could only watch in horror as Medea's eyes bulged dangerously. "What?!"

"Octavius just asked me. Actually, all four of us are going back to Naroni with you; Quintus is already Roderick's priest, and Quartus and Sextus made some agreements with Dalston and Severin. Isn't that nice?"

"But you already have your parish at Valcria!" Medea hissed, all the while glaring at her husband.

Septimus chuckled. "Funny story. Apparently, telling the countess that I'd like to anoint her with my holy water is sexual harassment. You see--"

"SHUT UP!"

Planting a stinging slap across Octavius's face, she stormed off; he could almost swear there was smoke spewing from her orifices.

"Medea, where are you going?" he called after her as she opened the door and began to make her way inside.

"I'm going to go talk to my sister!" answered Medea huffily.

"But you hate your sister!"

"Your point being--?"

She didn't give him the opportunity to answer; in fact, her own statement was cut short by the slamming of the door behind her.

Oh, how Octavius envied his brothers! Tertius, for one, had three children and another on the way. Also, he and his wife Nearina positively adored each other; Octavius would have done anything for his wife to even tolerate him.

And then to top it off, his scruffy-haired brother's marriage had made him Count of Tagrien.

Secundus too had been elevated by his marriage; he was now Baron of Rexus. He and his wife Tivalia were also very much in love, and while they only had two children, no more than Octavius himself, they were the strongest, healthiest children Octavius had ever come across, and surely they would have more.

The oldest brother, Primus, had not been quite so lucky as the two after him, Octavius knew. He was Lord Felonis, as their father had been, and he had married the second daughter of the Count of Vaclria as per the wishes of both sets of parents. While they were not in love and did not pretend to be, it was obvious that the two did share a strong friendship, and they worked well together when it came to raising their three children.

And as for the others... well, they were priests. They didn't have any wives to hate them.

Following Medea's outburst, Octavius couldn't bring himself to talk to any of them, the brothers he envied so; he simply stood there, gazing off into the distance. For however long it was, his sense of time became displaced--each moment was an hour, and each hour, a mere second.

He needed a distraction. He was a patient man, but he felt he was almost at his breaking point; he could not go on like this. Not for much longer.

"Octavius!"

Octavius turned around to find a smiling, beautiful young lady standing behind him, her golden curls playfully restrained, and her green dress, though tasteful, revealing just enough to catch his undeniable interest.

Frantically, he searched his mind for her face; upon finding it, he could not believe he had ever forgotten. It had been ten years since he had been so graced with her presence in such close proximity. Whenever he thought of her, she was as she had been then, a laughing, playful girl of eight. Now, that girl was nowhere to be seen; suddenly, she was a woman.

"I was wondering if I would see you here," she continued, her grin as earnest as it had ever been. "I figured you must be coming, seeing as the groom is your brother-in-law. And look--we match! Our mutual sister-in-law wanted me to wear blue, since it would bring out my eyes, but I knew it would have been a bad idea to listen to her."

"Why, Princess Holladrin," Octavius addressed her as both breath and words returned to his mouth; oh, how ugly was his voice to follow hers, the croak of a toad to the sweet song of a nightingale! "It has been far too long."

She smiled in agreement; the curve of her lips may as well have been a second sunrise. "What are you doing out here by yourself, silly? So many people want to catch up with you."

"Are you among them, your highness?" he inquired of her--he hoped he wasn't being too daring in asking such things of this exquisite creature.

"Would I have come out here if I wasn't? Oh, Octavius, I've forgotten how delightfully funny you are! Anyway, how are you?"

Holladrin was so charming; he decided to be honest with her. "Well, your highness, Medea and I had twins, but she still hates me--publicly, I might add. Oh, but how awful I am, voicing all this! I feel guilty even thinking about it, to be honest, but I can't help it."

"Let me tell you a secret, Octavius," Holladrin began, leaning toward him to whisper in his ear. "The only reason a woman would ever hate a man as kind and generous and patient is you is the fact that deep down inside, she knows she will never be worthy of him."

Octavius laughed appreciatively. "Oh, your highness, you always did know just what to say to make me feel better! However, I must tell you that you are sorely mistaken--she thinks herself very much above me!"

"Well, in that case, then she will most definitely never be worthy of you," she assured him, "and please, none of this 'your highness' business. We have not seen each other in ten years, and I do not want you to think of me as your princess, particularly since I am no longer. We are friends, and there will be no such formalities between us."

Friends. He was simultaneously honored and disheartened; he had no idea why.

"Yes, your--er, Holladrin," Octavius corrected himself; he felt as though his lips were unworthy of forming the very syllables that made up her name. "Anyway, enough about my abysmal marriage; how are you?"

"Well enough, I suppose," she replied. "I've been periodically ill the past few years, but I find being here with everyone is making me feel much better. A few months ago, however, I might as well have been dead."

"You are more alive than anyone I know," Octavius told her, almost to assure himself; it pained him to imagine her ill, bedridden and pale as her mother had often been. If Holladrin did not rise, than neither did the sun.

"Thank you," she acknowledged him with a slight grin. "Oh, I wish you didn't live so far away now! I couldn't bear to have another ten years pass before we meet again."

"I assure you, I will not let that happen," promised Octavius. "Some day, I hope you will meet my children. I daresay my little Jeda will appreciate spending time with a lady such as yourself when she is a little older; her mother barely pays her and her brother Sparron any attention at all."

"The poor dears!" exclaimed Holladrin. "Oh, Octavius, I would love to meet your children; I shall have to visit you all in Naroni."

Octavius nodded. "I do hope you will."

"Oh, I shall!" she resolved. "That way, I could see where you live! And I could visit my brother, and my cousins Celina and Severin. Your wife is my cousin too, did you know? Her mother was my father's sister."

"I did know. It is amazing how two cousins can turn out to be so different."

"Oh, but it is not Medea's fault that she is so bitter!" Holladrin came to her cousin's defense. "All her life, she has been overshadowed by her prettier younger sister; I daresay if I had a younger sister, I would have turned out rather bitter as well."

Octavius shook his head. "There is no possible way any woman, sister or not, could be prettier than you."

"Oh, you're just saying that," she giggled, blushing slightly; her cheeks were a lovely shade of pink, so much more radiant and delicate than any pink that could remind him of Medea.

"I am saying it because it is true."

That lovely hue remained. "Why, thank you, Octavius. By the way, have you seen Geneva anywhere? I want to ask her about Roderick."

"She was with Alina, last I saw her," he informed her, "but before you go..."

"Yes?" pried Holladrin, a starlit sparkle in her blue eyes that he had never seen in any other.

Carefully, he placed his arms around her waist, pulling her closer. Her mouth drew nearer as her hand perched atop his shoulder. Should he kiss her? He wanted to--oh, but it was sacrilege, to brush the lips of a goddess with his own! Besides, he was a married man, and a father, and surely he could not ruin this innocent girl for her own groom, whoever he would be.

"Thank you, Holladrin," he whispered into her ear as she wrapped her arms around his neck. "I've been dead for several years now; thank you for letting me live for a moment."

NEXT CHAPTER:

11 comments:

Van said...

For the record, Holladrin is Roderick's little sister. I'll admit that part of the reason for this wedding sequence is to introduce various family members.

Damn Blogger and its stupid "No more than 200 characters in combined tags per post" rule! I ended up not tagging three of Octavius's brothers--namely, Quartus, Quintus, and Sextus--because they just kind of stood around, but they were still in the post and I feel they should be tagged. I had this problem once before, with the chapter "In Which Severin Looks Into an Alternate Universe". For that one, I ended up not tagging Lonriad and Viridis, since they were technically only there in the memory, but with these three guys, they were actually, physically present! Grrr! *end rant*

Also, thanks to Rae, there has been some action on the Q and A blog. If anyone is interested, feel free to stop by there to read her questions and my answers, or ask a few of your own if you have any.

Penelope said...

Yes! I KNEW you were updating just now! I could feel it in my bones!

Septimus chuckled. "Funny story. Apparently, telling the countess that I'd like to anoint her with my holy water is sexual harassment. You see--"

Already, Septimus is win! *DIES*

What an adorable meeting with Octavius and Holladrin wearing matching outfits! I really liked Holladrin too- So upbeat! Yay, I hope there's more of her in the future.

Van said...

I just realized now that the countess in question is Septimus's aunt :S

Oh well, it's the times, I guess. Whoever's hot is hot in the twelfth century.

Holladrin turned out quite differently than I expected. My original conceptualization of her was a passive, quiet, dainty young woman, but as I was taking pictures of her, she sort of established herself as someone who, while still a sweetheart, was quite bright and assertive. I think I like her better this way--she's more interesting. We will be seeing her again in the future, but it might be quite some time before then.

Penelope said...

I always love it when my characters develop in a pleasantly surprising way. That's part of the simming fun.

HA! So he really was attempting to hit on the countess? That's even better. I like how he would nonchalantly just throw that story Medea's way.

Hmmm...
Pandora Sims Medieval Set

I don't know if any of these items will interest you but it's not a bad set at all. The guillotine is a few hundred years ahead of its time but... whatever. :p

The original site that hosted these files no longer exists (thank goodness- its fugly was nothing short of LEGENDARY). The link is only to the images. The actual files are under pandorasims/medieval set.

Van said...

BEEEEEEEAUTIFUL!!! I was JUST thinking it was about time for another downloading spree! :D

Thanks! :D

Phoenix said...

I read this earlier but I couldn't comment at work because the phones started ringing! Anyways!!!

I feel for poor Octavius! His wife spits such venom and he just wants to be loved. And if not loved at the very least happy!

I wouldn't mind him having an affair at all! Seriously! I'm glad he has a friend in Holladrin! Not that Medea would mind if he had an affair. At least I don't think she would...

Van said...

Heheheh, in my opinion, Octavius should have an affair... but I'm not sure he would, even if he wants to. He's just too good of a guy--Medea doesn't deserve him at all.

And I think Octavius would be a little reluctant to embark on a physical affair with Holladrin, just because he seems to hold her on a pedestal and feels he would ruin her. She's only eighteen, whereas he is twenty-six, so he would probably feel like a bit of a lecher. He does seem to be starting a little emotional affair with her, however... but I think if they did get involved, he would want her to be more than a mistress.

I'm not sure whether Medea would mind or not. On one hand, she doesn't care about him at all, but on the other hand, she might feel that he is just increasing the embarrassment of her life by dishonoring her, or perhaps she just wouldn't be able to stand seeing him happy if she herself was not. Either way... poor Octavius :(

eclectictsunami said...

Holladrin is beautiful. I like her a great deal. :D

And I'm with Pen - Septimus = WIN.

Van said...

Fortunately, Septimus is coming to Naroni, so we'll probably see a little more of him. I'm sure we'll see Holladrin again eventually too.

Wawa said...

God, that Medea! Please, Please just let her meet a quick and painful death! She's intolerable .. and to such a sweet guy! Now, Holladrin ... perfect Octavius match!

Van said...

Hi Wawa! Welcome :D