October 1, 2009

In Which Falidor Brings the Usual Announcements

May 27, 1162

Though he had been rather starved for a good conversation after sitting at the desk for the better part of the morning, Falidor had to admit that he had been relieved when Tarien had left in something of a hurry. He found Lady Alina's nephew to be pleasant enough, but at present, it seemed too much to bear--seeing this man, a year younger than himself, with a wife who adored him and a child on the way.

What he himself would have given for a wife who even liked him! Once more, he found himself toying with the idea of a mistress... but who? Willing women, he found, did not exactly grow on trees. The only sort he could get were the sort he could buy, and he found he did not want that kind of relationship. No, if he had to be unfaithful, he hoped it could be with a woman he loved, a woman who might perhaps become his wife in all but name. Unfortunately, women willing to embark on such a love affair were few and far between. If it wasn't for Fenrick, Riala, and little Maddie, he might have poisoned himself long ago.

But speaking of children...

"Faldor!" exclaimed young Lonriad from the floor as he and his older sister Viridis played with the ark.

Unable to resist, Falidor gave a tired smile. "Hello, Lonriad... Viridis, Riona, Vera... my lord, my lady... where are the older three?"

"They're out at Armion playing with Lorn and Xeta," Lady Alina explained. "Fortunately, we still have four here with which to bother you, Falidor."

"Oh, none of your children could ever bother me, my lady," Falidor assured her. Indeed, they could not--they were the dearest, most wonderful brood he knew, save for his own.

"Though I imagine Raia is looking to change that," chuckled Lord Severin, facing Falidor with a grin. "Anyway, who was that you were talking to just now?"

"That would be her ladyship's nephew Tarien, my lord," he answered.

Lord Severin rolled his eyes. "Good God, Falidor... always with this 'my lord' nonsense. Anyway, why didn't you invite him in here?"

Falidor shrugged. "He had to inform the others, and he seemed a bit rushed. I imagine he wants to get home to his wife as soon as possible."

His lordship seemed to deem this an acceptable answer. "I see. What did he have to say?" he inquired, gentle bouncing young Riona up and down.

"Just a few of the usual announcements. His sister Lileina had a baby on the thirteenth, Cambrin's heir; they named him Haldred, for her father."

"Wonderful! Now they have a daughter and a son," mused Lady Alina with a smile--however, she almost seemed more jealous than genuinely happy, though he could not imagine why.

But Falidor did not feel it was his place to mention that, so he merely nodded. "Indeed. Also, their brother Searle was knighted on the tenth and married on the eleventh."

A thoughtful expression crossed Lord Severin's face. "I knew Haldred was planning to marry the boy off sooner rather than later, but I still can't fathom his sudden urgency. Is the bride expecting, by any chance?"

"If she is, Tarien didn't see fit to mention it," dismissed Falidor. "However, Searle's twin sister is... but she was married in February, so that's not such a surprise."

That envious grin had returned to Lady Alina's lips. Lord Severin, however, merely sighed. "You know, I get the feeling that there's something that Haldred and Cladelia aren't telling the rest of us. When I ride out to get the kids later, I might stop by the castle to have a little chat with Roderick--not that I imagine he even suspects there's anything to know," he added in afterthought.

Lady Alina shifted slightly. "Laralita might; you know how she loves to sniff out a good scandal."

"Faldor! Pick me up!" Lonriad commanded from the floor.

As Falidor obliged the boy, he briefly locked eyes with Lady Alina before hers flitted back to young Laveria in her arms. God, she was beautiful--so beautiful, so brilliant, and so magnificently beloved. If ever was a woman who possessed everything and was fully worthy of it all, it was she.

And yet, somehow, she looked so miserable.

NEXT CHAPTER:

12 comments:

Van said...

I meant to have this up last night/early this morning, but the internet crashed like six times in half an hour, so I just gave up and went to bed. Sorry :(

Penelope said...

NARONI! *bounces up and down with excitement* I'm really inexplicably giddy today. Really inexplicably. *runs off to read*

Oh no. Oh NO! Is Falidor going to have an affair with Alina? Say it ain't so, Van!

Van said...

Yaaaay for inexplicable giddiness!!

And no. Nooooooo. No. He thinks she's hot, but he wouldn't go there. He's too tight with Severin to even think about having an affair with Alina, and Alina just kind of sees Falidor as a friend.

Plus I have made it my goal to make these two seem less and less like Alred and Matilda, so affairs are out of the question :)

Penelope said...

Thanks, Van. You have allayed my fears.

Hunh. Interesting. Alina has never reminded me of Matilda though on rare occasions, Severin does seem a little Alredy. By and large though, these two are definitely their own characters.

Van said...

Not a problem :)

Somebody mentioned it at some point, and it just kind of stuck in my head and started eating away at my conscience as an OMGBLASPHEMY!! But yeah, I agree there, it's more their dynamic as a couple than as individuals (although it still rather worries me).

Severin does seem somewhat Alredy in places, particularly near the beginning. I think that was some people's first reaction to him. I've been trying to steer him off that path lately, and most of the time I think it's working, but yeah, I'm still working on that problem.

Maybe his hair has something to do with it. I've considered changing it, but I can't find another one that I like as much on him. All the ponytails I have make him look somewhat Osh-like, and all of the Louis hairs make him look scarily like Lonriad (plus I would need some sort of excuse for the sudden change in texture). Plus there's the fact that he's constantly smiling; I imagine Severin would be a very, very different character if he hadn't come out of CAS with that huge smile on his face all the time, even though his sim literally has a niceness rating of 3.

Penelope said...

Argh, don't even get me started on hair texture! It's hard enough to match colors (particularly in the reds and the blacks). No one would notice a change in hair texture for Severin because it's just so hard to get the right texture when you change hairs. Unless the change were drastic, that is. *Tee hee!* I would love to see that hair on Severin!

Van said...

Heheheh... that could be his "roused early in the morning following a particularly steamy night" hair :P

Yeah, I'm with you on the matching colors. Maru's hair is proof enough of that. I guess that's what I get for picking something right between red and gold *sigh*

Hmmm... maybe a change in hair texture could be symbolic. Like, if he ever starts acting Lonriady, I'll give him a Lonriady hair.

Phoenix said...

She does NOT want/need anymore children! That is enough Alina! Seriously!

Poor Falidor! Poor, stupid boy! I wish that he could find someone that would love him. He gives so much of himself he's just a little slow. Which is how he ended up married in the first place! *sigh*

Van said...

Good point, Phoenix. Now that I think about it, I don't think Alina would actively want another child if she wasn't all postpartum. She certainly doesn't need one, that's for sure.

Falidor. Falidor, Falidor, Falidor. I love him, but he needs to grow a spine. He's such a doormat.

Meanwhile, I have no immediate plans for him in the romance department. I've been thinking about it, however... maybe sometime in the late 1160s, early 1170s? Those are going to be tragic times, so we might need some cheering up then.

thewynd said...

I should not read the comments before posting my own. I get too distracted. Tragic times??? That is ominous...

But Falidor really does need to take the bull (or in this case, his wife) by the horns and lay down the law.

I won't even get started on hair matching...

Van said...

Fortunately, that's still quite aways away :)

And yeah, he definitely needs to establish himself in regards to his wife... but I don't think he will. He just doesn't have the balls to do that. He's such a circle personality, and his niceness and softness is really his undoing. If he ever gets any loving, it will probably be the other party making all the moves.

Adie said...

Woman you already have a billion healthy children! You cannot get mad at a man for pulling out and the. Refraining when you bitch him out!