March 8, 2009

In Which Oswald Brings the News

December 12, 1156

"Well," began Roderick, his gray eyes unblinking, "Aldhein warned me that it was someone I would not expect, but I must say, seeing you here opens my eyes to a whole new level of the unexpected."

Oswald's eyes narrowed; he saw that his younger brother was just as impertinent as ever. "Save it, Roderick. I do not wish to be here a second longer than absolutely necessary."

"Then why did you come here yourself as opposed to sending a messenger?" Roderick demanded of him.

"I wanted to see if your little kingdom had fallen to political ruin yet," admitted Oswald. "I must say, I find myself sorely disappointed. Naroni seems to managing fine, although I doubt that is entirely because of you, little brother. I daresay that Severin's decision to elope with Alina and establish himself here is the luckiest thing that has ever happened to you. By the way, I stopped by there; his daughter sure is a charmer. Have you seen his new baby son yet?"

Roderick scowled; Oswald took a secret, childish delight in knowing that he was bothering him. "Never mind about Severin and his brats. Why are you here, Oswald?"

"You may have heard that my brother-in-law, our cousin Cambrin, the Earl of Sarona, is engaged to be married," he reminded his younger brother.

The King of Naroni--God, that title sounded foolish!--nodded. "Indeed I have. What about it?"

"Well, they've decided on a date," Oswald informed him. "The fifteenth of January, at Cambrin's keep in Sarona. All of the nobles in this kingdom, with the obvious exception of you yourself, seeing as you are an exile, have been invited. You may tell them as you see fit."

"I shall," agreed Roderick. "Celina is four months pregnant, so she will not be able to make it. Also, Geneva is not due until that same week of the wedding, but she is looking shockingly large for only eight months, so it is too early to tell whether or not she will be there. Other than that, you can expect everyone."

Oswald sent a quizzical look his brother's way. "Roderick, I must say, I am quite surprised you have chosen not to be difficult about this. I was expecting you to be begging for an invitation yourself."

"Why should I?" Roderick dismissed the matter promptly. "I am king here, whereas I am only a second-born prince in Dovia. I do not miss Dovia, and I have no desire to return; my life is here now."

NEXT CHAPTER:

5 comments:

Van said...

And so concludes a rather short chapter. Also, just so everyone knows, I've put some test babies for poor, poor Falidor and his new bridezilla on the extras blog.

Phoenix said...

Well, Roderick acted shockingly mature! I was surprised.

Van said...

He did. I was proud of him in this post. Maybe it's the new outfit--the old one just screamed "ridiculous". Or maybe he just wants to impress Oswald (although he'd never admit to that).

Penelope said...

Roderick never stops being rediculous. :D

Even when he said that he would rather stay behind where he is king, he sounded like a spoiled child.

Van said...

Point taken. I do still think, however, that this is the most mature we've seen him.