March 1, 2009

In Which Electra Learns the Meaning of Always

October 3, 1156

Electra had the prettiest wedding gown in her entire village. Her mother-in-law had made it for her, and all the other girls were terribly jealous. Alyssin had spent hours on Electra's hair as well; the Countess of Valcria wore her hair in the same fashion, as did King Farilon's niece. For once in her life, shy, awkward Electra felt confident and beautiful... but why was she hiding away in this bedroom? It didn't make any sense to her; why on earth didn't she want to get off of this uncomfortable bed?

"Electra?"

She looked up to see her young brother-in-law seated at her bedside, wearing his best clothing and his worst expression. "Electra? Can you hear me?"

"Florian?" she addressed him, somewhat surprised to find the boy in her bedroom. "Why are you here?"

He didn't answer; perhaps he couldn't hear her.

"Florian?" she asked once more.

This time, he chose to respond. "Yes?"

"Where is he?"

"He's with Arydath," answered Florian dully. "The baron and Lord Severin went to find a woman to nurse him."

Hamrick was sick? But she was perfectly capable of nursing him back to health herself; why would they need to find another woman? Who were these men, anyway? Since when did their family associate with barons and lords? And this Arydath... why was she with Electra's husband?

"Electra?"

She cocked her head slightly. "Yes?"

Florian sighed. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry I did this to you--all of this. I wish I could've loved you like Hamrick did, because you deserve it. I wish even more that you had someone you could love like you loved Hamrick. I was in your way, and I pulled you down. I'll never be able to forget that, and I... well, I'm sorry."

Electra frowned. "Florian... what are you talking about?"

Again, no answer. She knew that young boys tended to suffer from selective hearing, but this was getting ridiculous.

"Florian, will he be all right?" Electra inquired of him, glancing up at the ceiling in an attempt to prevent her tears from falling.

"He'll be just fine," he assured her. "He's a survivor... like his mama."

That was true. Alyssin was a strong woman, and Hamrick was very much like her. She had raised him well.

Hamrick was a survivor; Electra had always known that.

"You look beautiful, Ellie," he told her, his smile lighting up his handsome features; he certainly didn't look sick.

Electra returned the grin. "Hamrick."

"Hamrick?" repeated Florian, visibly confused. "Electra, what are you talking about? Hamrick's been dead for years."

If the boy was trying to make a joke, it wasn't very funny.

"I can see him, Florian," she insisted. "He's right here."

Suddenly, she was filled with the will to stand. She placed her feet on the ground and pulled herself off the bed.

"Electra!" Florian cried, a note of panic in his voice. "Electra, don't go! Stay with me! I'll try harder! I'll--I'll... I'll make myself love you! I swear it, I will! Please, just... don't go."

He sounded scared; the poor child. At first, Electra had thought he was just playing, but now it seemed as though he was going mad.

"Florian..."

"Please... stay with me," he continued to beg. "Not for me, not if you don't want. Electra, Evera needs you. And... our son. I can't do this on my own, Electra! I've never been strong like you."

More nonsense. What an unfortunate, addled youth he was! She would have to talk to Alyssin about this.

She comfortingly brushed her hand through his silky golden hair as she walked past him. Florian took no notice of this; he just placed his hands over his face and started to cry, something that the Florian she knew never did.

"You didn't think I'd really leave you forever, did you?" Hamrick asked her as she drew nearer.

Electra shook her head. "You never left me."

"That's right, Ellie--and you know what? I never will."

He kissed her with a passion she had never realized could exist. Even their wedding kiss had been nothing compared to this, this dance of tongues that held entire histories in its motions. She wanted to know this kiss forever; the only advantage to his ever letting go would be the possibility of experiencing that kiss again.

"I love you, Ellie," he whispered as he took her hands in his own. "I love you, and I promise you that I'll be with you forever."

"Forever..." she sighed dreamily. "Forever with you... I love you, Hamrick. I'll always love you."

"We'll be together, Ellie. Always."

One look into those eyes was more than enough to let Electra know that he meant every word of it. "Always."

NEXT CHAPTER:

14 comments:

Penelope said...

Gosh, that was so sad. And a really interesting take on dying.

Poor Florian. :(

For a second there, I thought that he had died too and that was why she was seeing him as a kid.

Argh, I'm so bummed now!

Van said...

Sorry Pen :(

Phoenix said...

I knew it! I knew it!! Ugh!! That's just horribly sad! And unfair! I got attached to Electra!

I'm guessing now Florian will have to be strong. Hopefully!

This sucks! I'm at work scowling at the screen! Bah!

Van said...

Sorry Phoenix :(

lothere said...

Apologies, apologies. This was so sad. :-( Electra really wanted that baby, too, and in a way it was so much sadder because she didn't even remember any of that. She was transported back to the time of her wedding.

I really love the way you wove together what Electra was seeing and what was really happening in the room... the way she saw Florian as a teen and how he strangely never answered what she said, yet she heard what he was saying. (And tragically misunderstood.) And making him turn back into white-haired shirtless man Florian for the last shot was a nice touch. And is that the feet of her body still in the bed in the last shot? Nice too.

Oh dear what will happen now? Florian obviously can't raise those kids himself, and the only lady who seems somewhat willing and able is currently married to a monster. That dude needs to get drunk and drown in a ditch as soon as possible.

Van said...

Sorry Lothere :(

I'm glad you liked that blending of past and present. I just kind of threw that in as I was writing, and didn't really have it in mind when I was taking the pictures. Originally, it was going to be just what Electra saw, but I think I like the effect of this better. Plus I still had the teenage Florian sim and the extra Electra sim lying around (that was clone Electra in the wedding dress--the real Electra was in the bed during the last shot), so I figured I'd better make use of those two.

Florian is not in a terribly great position to raise Evera and Setran currently. He should probably get married again, but there aren't many available women, or even available people in general. The only single woman I can think of who might marry him is Falidor's mother, and she's just as sick as he is, if not even moreso.

When I kill Norwan, it will be a humorous death. It has to be a humorous death :)

cheripye said...

See I got ahead of myself! Oh how terribly sad! Electra is passing but how wonderful that she will be spending it with her truest love!!! and once again I can hope for the vibrant youth of Thetis, although I still like the steward, LOL!

Van said...

Yeah, at least she has Hamrick back now. I'm sure that wherever they are now, they're quite happy. *Sigh*

Verity said...

I am trying to get caught up with your story but it is so hard because I want to comment all the time. So I probably won't comment every single chapter but I had to on this one. It was really so sad. I wasn't expecting this at all! It came totally left-field for me. I really thought Florian would go before her. Well done on the twist :)

Van said...

Thanks Verity :)

Heheheh... there is now the directory for the enablement of quick catch-up, but it does allow for missed character development, unfortunately.

So yeah, take your sweet time :)

Unknown said...

This chapter was very well-done, but it's all so tragic! Poor emo Florian is going to be even more emo. And I can't help but notice he's pantless and shirtless again, lol.

Van said...

Thanks Maruutsu :)

Unfortunately, the Florian nudity streak eventually breaks :( But on the plus side, he eventually gets a better outfit.

Unknown said...

Are you telling me we'll be deprived of nearly-naked-Florian-goodness? Noooo! The humanity!

Well, at least he'll have a wardrobe upgrade :D

Van said...

Not permanently. He was seen shirtless in his second most recent appearance :D