March 13, 2009

In Which Celina Says Goodbye

January 8, 1157

"So you're sure you'll be able to handle all of them without me?" Celina's husband asked her once more; she figured she should be annoyed, but in truth, she was rather flattered by his concern. "I haven't left yet, you know; if you want, I can stay with you. Three babies are rather a handful for a woman five months pregnant."

The 'three' referred to Lorn, of course, as well as twins Sparron and Jeda. Roderick, as an exile, could not set foot back in Dovia, so he was free to take care of his own three children while Geneva was gone. Likewise, Celina was too far along in her pregnancy to travel, so she could stay with her son and Dalston would represent the both of them at the wedding. Severin and Alina had convenience of having Severin's mother living so close, so Raia and Jadin were staying with her, but Octavius had struggled to find someone to watch his babies. Medea, naturally, would not stand for them to be left with just anyone; she had wanted them to stay with Roderick, but he had refused on the grounds that "Babysitting five children, all under the age of three, is not the work of a king". Therefore, Celina was the natural second choice; of course, she didn't really mind, and it wasn't as if there was any shortage of nurses.

"I'll be fine, Dalston," she assured him. "You haven't seen your brother in two years now; just imagine how your nieces and nephews have grown since we've been here! And soon there will be one more of them. Really, Dalston, I think we should make as good of an effort to stay in touch as we can."

Dalston nodded in agreement. "You're right, Lina; I am starting to feel like something of a stranger."

"It will be all right when you get there. Just... say hello to all my cousins for me, all right?" she requested of him. "And everyone else too."

"Will do," he promised her.

"And stay out of trouble?"

She had only been teasing; she knew that he would. It went without saying, and she needn't have asked. However, he replied with an almost worrisome seriousness, "I will do nothing to dishonor you, Lina--this I swear to you."

NEXT CHAPTER:

13 comments:

Van said...

And that may just be my shortest chapter yet. Sorry :(

Penelope said...

Ooo Indeed Dalston does look better with his hair pulled back...

And oh boy, he's going to do something naughty. I can just see it now!

Dammit Van, the speed of your updates puts me to shame!

Van said...

But Pen, the quality of your writing and pictures... waaaaaaay beyond anything I can manage! :)

Penelope said...

Yeah right. :p

Van said...

Really :p

Phoenix said...

WOw, Dalston is super hot with his hair pulled back!! Van, please don't make him do anything stupid!! PLEASE!?!!!!! LOL!! Oh boy!! I can't wait for the next shot! Love the teaser pic!

Van said...

I'm glad people are finding Dalston hot. I wanted him to have that sort of "Prince Charming" look, with the blond hair and the blue eyes, and the soft, yet slightly elven features, but it was a little difficult to make him because I'm not actually attracted to that sort of guy myself. I'm more of a sucker for the Severins and the Adonises and the Auriuses of the world.

Speaking of Severin, he has some very interesting facial expressions in the next chapter. And for a good reason.

Penelope said...

Severin makes me smile in a pleasant sort of way.

Van said...

He might turn out somewhat annoying in the next chapter.

lothere said...

Wait a sec -- Dalston has elf ears? Did I miss something?

He is really attractive with his hair pulled back though. And I don't usually go for the delicate blond type either.

And why does this chapter seem like so much foreshadowing? *bites nails*

Van said...

Oh, no, he doesn't have elf ears. I'm sorry, I should have found a better way to describe him. "Delicate" works rather well.

We'll see Dalston again about five posts from now, and then about another five after that. January 1157 is going to be a packed month. I'll try to make up for it by making some months of the year uneventful and therefore chapterless.

lothere said...

No, I mean seriously... Look at the last picture of him. Does he have elf ears in that picture, or is that just a weird angle for him?

Van said...

Oh, that's just a weird camera angle.