July 25, 2012

In Which Devidra Finds Cause for Displeasure

July 15, 1179

"It's true, then."

Zareth stopped, stunned. He wouldn't have come himself had it just been a rumor muttered by that incompetent steward at the morning session. Had it been mere hearsay, he would have sent one of his men and confined himself to his study as usual. If he hadn't thought Devidra knew that, then she was insulted. "Yes. A messenger arrived in the night; I rode to shore with a small force to investigate."

"And you didn't see fit to inform me."

Awkward, her brother looked away. He'd never coped well with failure, but it had been years since he'd had to; Devidra was not a woman easily satisfied, but Zareth rarely displeased her. "You don't like to be woken. I didn't deem it important enough to rouse you."

"Yet it was urgent enough for your haste." He said nothing. He'd chosen the lack of words well. "Assemble a crew. Two days from now, you'll be boarding a ship and setting off to reclaim this one. The seas are rough near Devil's Rock; they won't have gotten far. You can catch them if you approach from the northeast."

"I'm aware of the seas."

Good to know that he'd paid attention in his lessons. "Very well. You may take some of your men, but some will be needed here. You know where to find sailors. Since you may be a few weeks, I'll also allow you two cooks and one other servant of your choice. I'll gather the necessary provisions while you're recruiting."

"All right."

"And Zareth?"

He looked up. She allowed herself a light hint of a smile. "Bring that ship back, and I'll knight you that very day."

It was a few seconds before he nodded. "Yes, your majesty."

NEXT CHAPTER:

5 comments:

Van said...

Bed now. If someone could remind me that I'm a post behind for updating profiles, I'd really appreciate it ;)

Anonymous said...

Hmm interesting, a new adventure perhaps? :) Hope you're doing well Van!

Van said...

Guess we'll see ;)

Thanks! Things have been crazy, but altogether okay :)

Anonymous said...

Ooh, interesting. I wonder what the ship is and why it's important enough to send the Queen's own brother after it. And I wonder what servant Zareth will be taking with him ...

Well, I think I know that. ;)

Van said...

We'll find out what's so important about that particular ship soon enough (not next post!). It's a bit anti-climactic, though :P

I think the preview is a give-away for who Zareth will be asking ;) But hey, Mona did want an adventure...