June 16, 2012

In Which Celina Appreciates the Understanding

February 16, 1179

"Ah, but he was a brat since the day he came into the world. I still remember the first time I met him; Alina was ready to pitch him through the window, I swear it."

Celina tried not to giggle. It had been years since she'd been privy to the antics of her late friend's children, but Alina's seething faces could hardly be forgotten. She hoped that Jadin and the others found memories of her smile more prominent. "Oh, they were all a handful. They were never bad kids, though, and they've all grown up well besides."

"Yes, for the most part. I won't deny that my nephew is a scamp, though. At least Xeta seems to manage him?"

"'Managing' is an interesting choice of word."

Ovrean laughed. How a chuckle from him could rob the winter breeze of its bite, Celina would never know--not that there was any sense in complaining. "For all Jadin can be manageable! Oh well. The boy's wild about her underneath it all. The way he was fretting yesterday, one never would've guessed she'd birthed two already."

"And to think, the baby's not even coming yet!" Well... so far as they knew. It could have been any time in the next few days, but Celina didn't particularly like the thought of her next grandchild starting toward the world just as she'd left his mother's side. "I hope he--"

She stopped, her feet taking a cue from her voice. Celina's eyesight wasn't what it used to be--her recent needlework was all the proof of that anyone needed--but she could have sworn... "Ovrean, is that...?"

Her husband stared forward, the corner of his mouth flitting downward. "You know, I think it is."

Given the shape and shine of it, what else could it have been? Or... could he have been, she supposed; it didn't feel quite right, thinking of someone sentient as an 'it'. "Should we approach him? Abrich said he was friendly."

"Hmm. Might be worth checking out."

Ovrean took a few steps, Celina at his heels. The metal figure stood, seemingly turned away, one hand on its hip and the other to what she assumed was his chin, as if he was looking for something. Hide and seek with the forest children, perhaps? Or had they grown to old for that. "Uh... hello, sir."

The statue turned around--and waved. Abrich had not been wrong. "He almost looks like he's smiling, doesn't he?"

She had to squint to make it out, but she thought she could see it. She smiled back. "Nice to meet you--oh."

For all he was made of steel, he wasn't as cold as she might have guessed. That didn't make the hug any less of a surprise. "Oh, well... that's very nice of you."

"I think he likes you," Ovrean teased, amused.

The statue's grip tightened. He was the size of one of her older sons, but his embrace reminded her more of Mernolt than Lorn or Abrich or even Searle. He wasn't hugging her to indulge her, nor to greet her or congratulate her or bid her farewell. He hugged her because he wanted to hug her. He hugged her because he needed her to hug back.

So she did.

"Well, I like you too. And so did my son, when you met him. Do you remember my son?"

Another nod, another chuckle from Ovrean. Celina gave the fellow a pat on the back, but he didn't ease. "Oh... you want me to stay a little longer?"

His metal chin tapped her shoulder twice. She recalled Abrich mentioning the length of his hug and she wasn't quite sure she could go for so long. She and Ovrean had only meant to go for a quick afternoon walk. The older three could fare for themselves and the younger two had a competent nurse, but in spite of that Celina hadn't planned on leaving her children for more than half an hour or so. Already they'd been out later than she'd guessed...

"Um... sir?"

He let go. For a man who lacked a face, he looked oddly hurt.

"No, don't get me wrong--I love hugs, and that one was no exception." He cocked his helmet to the side. She hoped that meant he was listening. "It's just... well, I have a little baby waiting for me at home. She has someone watching her, but it's not quite the same."

Or was it, to him? Suits of armors didn't have mothers. "So I should probably get going. But I would very much enjoy another hug in the future, so I'll come see you again, all right?"

Much to her relief, he nodded. She hoped he wasn't too disappointed. "Thank you. You're very understanding."

She flashed him a last smile and waved, Ovrean following her lead before they turned around and started home. Celina had always loved the sound of snow crunching beneath her boots, but it was obscured by a nearby clanking.

"Er... is he following us?"

Ovrean glanced over his shoulder, then looked back at her, smirking. "Yes. Yes, he is."

NEXT CHAPTER:

7 comments:

Van said...

I have a question up at my author blog. It's arguably a little silly, but if you have the time, I would appreciate some opinions. The post in question is here.

Thanks guys :)

Anonymous said...

That HAS to be Farilon's ghost (the son Celina lost) or something like that that's powering the suit of armor. It cannot be a coincidence that he hugged her the way a young child would! And of course he would be that attached to Celina of all people!

And now he's following her home ... I'm sure this will be interesting.

In other news, I loved this line: "I still remember the first time I met him; Alina was ready to pitch him through the window, I swear it." Yup, that sounds like Alina dealing with Jadin. ;) Or any of those crazy Kemorin kids. *sigh* If only Alina could see how they all turned out very well, all things considered.

(Also -- having looked at Celina's hair on two different screens, I have to say, if I hadn't known that it was a different color, I never would have guessed it.)

Van said...

Whoever he is, he does seem to be in need of a mommy.

Yeah, for all they get up to some pretty scandalous stuff, I'm sure Alina would've been pretty proud of how all her kids turned out.

Brisance is a fairly close-ish match to Celina's sleep hair. At this point, it might stay Brisance or it might go to Depth Charge. We'll see pretty soon, I guess :)

Anonymous said...

Aw, this was such a sweet post :)
I'm curious though, if he can understand them, can he speak?
If so, I hope he explains just what's going on with the strange suit of armor in the woods...

Van said...

Thanks! :)

From the looks of it, he doesn't have any speaking mechanisms. With those fingers, he probably couldn't write out any answers either. Sadly, if they want to know anything, they may have to consult Remiel :S

Penelope said...

Oh goodness, I love Celina! I swear, she's the sweetest thing. And man, I hope this armor thing gets cleared up. Poor kid.

Van said...

She does have a heart big enough for everybody :)

As for the armor... well...