September 24, 2009

In Which Severin Escapes Twice

March 14, 1162

As little as a year ago, Severin would not have been able to imagine any situation in which he would have willingly journeyed throughout far-off Dovia all alone for weeks on end, but news of a princess's upcoming wedding was not of the sort to be delivered by a messenger, or so Roderick had felt. At first, Roderick had asked Octavius, but this was rather out of the question seeing as it was Octavius's wedding as well. He had then asked Dalston, but he had refused on account of some stupid excuse that Severin was sure was only a cover for not wanting to leave Celina's side.

Roderick hadn't asked Severin, however; Severin had volunteered.

While they still got along just as they always had during the day, there had definitely been a marked change in the nighttime aspects of his relationship with Alina. Many nights, he would go to their bedchamber to find her already in her nightgown, curled up under the covers, sound asleep--or, perhaps on some nights, pretending to be fast asleep. He didn't quite understand; was this whole coitus interruptus business really so unbearable? It took some getting used to, but it was better than nothing, was it not?

Regardless, the lack of sex was taking its toll and he had found himself growing more and more irritable of late, and after one particularly nasty episode with Roderick's steward, Severin had felt that it was time to take drastic measures. While he was reluctant to leave his princess and their children, perhaps he was giving her the space she needed--and perhaps he would return to find her fires rekindled.

God, how long had it been? A few months, at least--whatever the count, he hadn't experienced so long a drought since before he had ever experienced fornication itself.

Frustrated, he hastily shifted his mind to other matters. He was now at his father's castle, though his father and older brother had both been out all day. He had arrived in the late evening and passed the news of Holladrin's approaching marriage to Viridis, then proceeded to have a pleasant, yet mildly awkward visit with her and his twin siblings--his four-year-old twin siblings. He had a son who was four years old--hell, he had a son who was five years old, and a daughter who was six. While they seemed to be fine children, he had difficulty believing that he--he who would be turning thirty near the end of the year, for God's sake--shared a parent with a pair who were scarcely more than babies. Likewise, he harbored such feelings also toward his mother's daughter... but in the end, he could not bring himself to mention this to anyone. It wasn't as if it could be the children's faults.

Speaking of children, he had been disappointed with Viridis's unwillingness to divulge any information about the wedding of her niece Riona and young Lord Felonis back in February. Their betrothal, of course, had been common knowledge among the nobility for years, but even with Primus's passing, no one had expected the pair to be wed so soon, nor so hastily and privately. It also seemed that Riona's twin brother Searle was to be knighted and married as soon as May--at all of fifteen. After Lileina's marriage at thirteen, Haldred had established himself as a man who was hasty to marry off his children, but after that wedding, Severin--and likely everyone else--had braced himself for similar affairs to that particular event, none of this sneaking about at the chapels with only the immediate family present. The whole ordeal, Severin found, seemed somewhat suspicious.

"What are you doing here?"

He pulled himself upwards and cast a sidelong glance over his shoulder to see his brother, Rudolphus, standing in the doorway, a small girl in his arms.

"Is Father with you?" Severin inquired in undertone, straining slightly to peer around his brother and down the corridor.

"Hasn't been all day," answered Rudolphus blandly, stepping further into the room. "I was out hunting with Ovrean and Tarien; Father claimed he was riding out to the tithe barns, but I'm sure he found a brothel on the way and another on the way back. But you didn't answer my question, brat--why are you here?"

Severin closed his eyes. "I came to deliver a message."

"Then deliver it," his brother urged him.

"I already told your mother."

"So? She's in bed already, so she wouldn't be able to tell me until morning--and now you've piqued my curiosity."

"Fair enough," Severin relented, rising from the couch. "Holladrin is getting married next month."

His brother frowned--Severin suspected that Rudolphus himself would have rather married Holladrin than Eudocia, and in the end, he didn't particularly blame him. "To whom?"

"Octavius."

Rudolphus snorted. "The eighth son of a lord? For a princess?"

"He's a baron in Naroni," muttered Severin, rolling his eyes.

"A baron in Naroni," repeated Rudolphus snidely. "Sounds to be the equivalent of a gentleman here... mind, he does outrank you, your lordship."

"God, you sound just like my sister-in-law," groaned Severin, shuddering at the thought of Laralita. "Anyway... I thought your daughter was three; this little girl looks quite a bit younger."

As he lowered the child to the ground, Rudolphus chuckled slightly. "My daughter is three--and unlike this little one, she actually sleeps through the night. No... this is the next you."

Severin raised an eyebrow. "You mean...?"

"Indeed. Duke Lonriad of Luperia--always taking in a bastard for his wife to coddle even more than she does her true children. I'd thought that perhaps Sidwein and Taimyra would have been spared my fate, but I suppose that was too much to hope for."

Rocking slightly in his discomfort, Severin was quick to change the subject. "Does the fact that Father is still turning them out inspire you to maybe start working on a few more of your own? The steward has been telling people that you're having some... difficulties."

Rudolphus chuckled as he returned to eye level. "Difficulties my ass--he's just jealous because half his children look like me."

"Well, I hate to sound like some stuck-up old status-seeker, but you're going to need to produce an heir, at the very least," Severin reminded him.

"As soon as we have enough wine in the cellar to make me consider sleeping with my wife, I will get straight to that. God, if only she looked more like her sister--she was here, you know, for quite some time, and I made sure to get my helping, even if Father took the lion's share."

Well, that was certainly shocking.

"Geneva?" Severin demanded in outrage; Celina had told him that she was still alive, but he would have hoped she'd had the sense to stay away from Roderick's relatives. "When was this?"

"Sporadically throughout last year, and a little while before," replied his brother, nodding toward the little girl on the floor. "Where do you think she came from?"

"Well, I've come to expect that sort of thing from him," he sneered, "but you? You and Roderick were always so close--how could you do that to him?"

Rudolphus shrugged. "As far as Roderick is concerned, Laralita is the only wife he has presently."

"Yes, but you know otherwise."

"Well, a man's got to have his fun, doesn't he?" demanded Rudolphus, placing his hands firmly on his hips. "Perhaps if you hadn't stolen my intended and left me for the most unsightly bitch in the kingdom, I wouldn't be looking for love outside my own bed."

"Don't try to blame your behavior on me!" Severin hissed, reducing to gnawing on the lining of his cheek to keep himself from shouting and waking the household.

"Why not? It isn't as if you're any better!"

He had certainly not expected to hear that.

"Excuse me?" he choked, caught completely off-guard.

"Oh, don't think for a second that anyone believes you went to your wedding bed a virgin," chided Rudolphus. "Frankly, I'm shocked to find that you thought I wasn't aware of your... youthful misadventures, shall we say? We older brothers have our ways, you know. You were long gone before they even sent you off to that monastery--and even there, I know you got to know some of the female servants in the biblical sense, correct? I wager you were the only man there who knew their sins before they confessed."

Severin sighed. "That was a long time ago. I was young, and--"

Rudolphus let out a soft laugh. "Oh, relax, Severin--I'm not judging you. I'm just saying that if you weren't married to the love of your life, you wouldn't have any right to berate me for not staying faithful to my own wife."

"Rudolphus..."

"I just don't want you thinking you're any different," his brother continued despite his protest. "It's in our blood, brother. Deep down, I know you're just like me; just like Fa--"

"I am not like you!" he snapped at last; this was the one thing he would not tolerate hearing. "I'm not like you, and I'm certainly not like him!"

Rudolphus sniffed impatiently. "Severin..."

"I'm not, and don't forget it for a moment!" he pressed once more.

"You're in denial," his brother declared.

"Shut up! There's nothing to deny!"

Rudolphus snorted. "Oh, I'm so sure about--"

"What the hell's going on in here?"

Startled, Severin turned around to see his father standing in the doorway, looking rather worse for the wear.

"Severin?" the older man addressed him. "This certainly is a surprise."

"Apparently Holladrin's marrying Octavius," muttered Rudolphus under his breath--Lonriad, however, paid him no heed.

"Everything all right back in Naroni, son?" he asked, concerned. "Anything I should know?"

Trying to calm himself somewhat, Severin strode away from Rudolphus and his new sister, toward his father. "Actually... I was just leaving."

Almost immediately, his father's face fell. "Oh, but you'll at least stay the night? It's rather chilly out there, you realize."

Severin shrugged. "I'll survive."

"But it's well past midnight," Lonriad protested. "Surely--"

As he crossed paths with his father, Severin looked him in the eye and nodded. "I know--surely I'll have to make up for a few lost hours."

And with that, he brushed past Lonriad and made his escape from the room.

NEXT CHAPTER:

21 comments:

Phoenix said...

Oh man!! Why does Severin's family keep pushing him? Man, they're enough to break anyone. Hopefully Severin realizes that you don't HAVE to be just like the people who gave birth to you!

Although...Lonriad's sad face made me sad!:(

Van said...

Behind all his frenzied womanizing, Lonriad is a sad, tired old man :(

Hmmmm... I don't think they're putting any pressure on Severin to walk the path of his father and brother--or at least, any conscious pressure on their part. I think a lot of this problem is just in Severin's head; he's so afraid of turning out like that that he's become somewhat paranoid in regards to the issue.

Rudolphus, meanwhile, does enjoy pushing Severin's buttons. It's probably his favorite pastime after sex. While he does have a grudging fondness for Severin, he firmly believes that his life would have turned out much better if Severin had never been a part of it. And really... that is somewhat true. Rudolphus's parents would have paid more attention to him. They might have had a few more kids. And then of course, Rudolphus would have married Alina instead of Eudocia, and he wouldn't be sleeping around because he finds her to be the epitome of HAWT and wouldn't be able to find anyone who could compare even if he did want to cheat on her.

And then, he does firmly believe that Severin has the potential to go the same way, so he does sort of think he's doing him a favor by "enlightening" him. He does have some insight into Severin's past--which was not exactly angelic.

We'll probably see hints of this in Dovia Diaries, but Severin was not exactly a model child, especially after he hit puberty. In terms of promiscuity (before the whole thing with Alina), he was probably the medieval equivalent of this kid.

Now, obviously he's really tamed himself up since they got married (they actually didn't have an explicitly romantic relationship before that--just sort of a mutual, unspoken longing that they didn't really have a name for until it was almost too late for them). He has never cheated on his wife; in fact, he has never even thought about cheating on his wife. The most he does is check out girls when she's not around, but... let's face it, everyone checks out other people when the SO isn't around. It don't mean a thing.

However, there are definitely hints here and there over the course of the story. He does have a very high sex drive (fortunately, Alina does too, for the most part). He does need sex in order to level out, as was mentioned near the beginning of this chapter and a few other places here and there (you'll recall it was the first thing he did after he found out Dalston had slept with Geneva, and then again after Laralita moved in with them--that was how Searle and Young Lonriad, respectively, were conceived).

Regardless, I highly doubt that he will ever cheat on Alina... but if they don't rekindle their sex life soon, I imagine Severin will get really unpleasant really quickly.

As for Lonriad... I think he himself is a little relieved that Severin (so far) hasn't turned out like him, as well as a little scared that he might. Lonriad does have a certain amount of self-loathing worked up, despite his refusal to change his own ways (which may be why he is a bit disappointed in shameless Rudolphus).

But yeah... in short, they're a pretty fucked up bunch. Poor Viridis deserves a medal for putting up with them.

Van said...

Eheheheh... this is why I sometimes get the feeling that Lotherian/Mhalwaen pacing might be the way to go--you don't necessarily get all this information in Naroni chapters, just because time in the story moves so quickly.

But I want to see the kids grow up, dammit!

Penelope said...

I'm feeling the brotherly love. :p

Van said...

It's definitely a "want-to-rip-each-other's-throats-out" sort of love :P

thewynd said...

Wow, they took in Geneva? Well I guess that doesn't surprise me but hearing Severin protest so loudly about NOT being like his father and brother has me somewhat worried.

Van said...

Yep. They had her for the entire time she was pregnant with her and Lonriad's daughter... and, obviously, some time before that :P

Severin's reaction... defensive much? I think so.

Verity said...

Hmmm... if it is in his blood (and I'm not saying it is but just hypothesising here) then Alina's inflicted dry spell could be very, very dangerous for their marriage.

Van said...

Yep. Like I said, I can't see him cheating on her, but... he's going to get awfully cranky if he doesn't get some.

lothere said...

"Rudolphus, meanwhile, does enjoy pushing Severin's buttons. It's probably his favorite pastime after sex." LOL!

Lonriad made me so sad in this chapter. Hug your Daddy, Severin!

Van said...

This story needs more Rudolphus, I think. It's funny, because in the really god-awful, Van-was-bored-in-grade-six-math-class story that first spawned the original incarnations of these characters, the Severin/Rudolphus dynamic did play a rather large role (although both characters were drastically different at the time).

Lonriad really does need a hug, preferably from Severin. You can tell he just wants to make up for everything, but Severin's just not bending here *sigh*

Unknown said...

I do feel rather sorry for Lonriad, though it wouldn't kill him to keep his hands off every woman that isn't his wife. Oh well, at least Viridis has forgiven him.

As for Rudolphus, he's one messed-up bitter man, but I can hardly blame him. I do hope he doesn't treat Eudocia like scum just because she's ugly, though. Are we ever going to meet her?

Van, may I ask where you got the skins the males are wearing? I downloaded those modified Louis skins with body hair from SexySims but they hardly have any hair in the chest area, and the facIes look so... weird. :/

Van said...

I feel bad for the guy too. At this point in his life, lecher or not, he's just a tired old man, and most of his friends are dead and he's not sure how long he has. All he really wants is to patch things up with his son.

Rudolphus is in a tight spot, but I get the feeling he kind of enjoys being bitter :P As for his wife... well, looks notwithstanding, she's not particularly pleasant. Imagine what Geneva would be if she couldn't get laid and you pretty much have Eudocia. He's still a little hard on her though. I'm not sure if we'll ever see her; I suppose as the story goes on, the probability increases 1, but I can't make a guarantee there.

Ah... these are the modified Louis skins. Did you get the ones with the particular body hair color, or just the normal ones? Just in case, here are the links:

Louis skins
Louis skins with black body hair
Louis skins with brown body hair
Louis skins with red body hair

I do wish there were more degrees of body hair with these skins--the body hair overlay mod is one of the reasons I would actually pay for Seasons if I had any money--but I find for my purposes, they are sufficient enough.

As for the faces, I'm so used to seeing the vast majority of my sims with those skins that they don't look weird to me. In fact, if I slapped any other skin on most of them, I'd probably start having seizures. I guess that would be the same with everyone and their preferred skins, though, so I see what you mean.

Unknown said...

So Eudocia is as horny as her sister? Whoa.

Thanks for the links, Van, you're a lifesaver! I had the "improved" collection, but the hair's practically invisible.

I know, I'd also like to install Seasons for that reason, but my game is slow enough as it is.

Van said...

Yep. Plus cranky because she rarely gets any. Not the most pleasant person to be around at any given time. Between those two sisters and Lonriad and his sons, there is some serious libido issue lurking in the thoroughly-inbred gene pool of the Dovian aristocracy :P

No problem. Hope they work for you :D

I think the only expansion packs I really want are the ones I can use for the story, since I don't actually play the game much any more. I'd get University for the plastic surgery, Seasons for the weather and the body hair, and then maybe Night Life for downtowns and the option to see adjoining lots. Oh, and Apartment Life would be useful for making villages and castle courtyards, but it comes bundled with Bon Voyage, which reportedly eats GunMod for breakfast :(

thewynd said...

You know...I have hair transparencies and louis skins...

Van said...

They have hair transparencies?! Do you by any chance remember where you got them? That actually sounds like an easier way to go than the actual hairy skins. I like the skins with the hair on them, but there's a problem with inheritance in conjunction with hair color. Like, I think redheaded Jadin got his father's skin, which has the black body hair, so I'm going to need to manually switch him to the skin with the red body hair before he grows up.

thewynd said...

I will email you the info ok?

Van said...

Sounds good :)

Unknown said...

Oooh, I can has those too? *puppy eyes*

Van said...

Here you go!

Thanks again, Gayl! :)