December 21, 2008

In Which the Family Trees Hit Tribal Pages

So I finally put up the family trees of everyone in the story! Yay!

The link can be found on the right side of the page. If you follow it, you'll need the following information:

Access code: naroni

Now, you'll notice a few things with the family trees. First of all, the higher classes have much more detailed ancestry than the lower classes. Because the higher classes would have been inbreeding for quite some time, all of the main noble characters are either first, second, or third cousins, and I had to work out all those connections by tracing their ancestry all the way to their great-grandparents. Any great-grandparents with the same last name can be assumed to be siblings. The peasants... not so much. Of the peasants that have been introduced, the only one with parents on his family tree is Florian, and only because his late brother had a connection to another character (Electra).

Also, since Tribal Pages is evil and only lets you put up fifty pictures for free, many of the character pages have an unlinked URL on their page. If you copy the link into an address bar in a new tab or window, you'll get a Lothere-esque picture of the person and, if they have them, their spouse and children. It's kind of a pain in the ass to go through all that, but hey, blame Tribal Pages. All the main people do have their pictures up right on the site, though, as well as any surviving siblings and parents that I've made Sims for.

The characters' last names can be found in the labels at the bottom of each post, but since they aren't the kind of thing that immediately catches the eye, I'll list the names here:

Andronei: a noble family in Dovia. None of the main characters have this last name, but a few of the nobles have some ancestors in this family. Alina's oldest sister married an Andronei, as did Severin's father.
Callcevern: another Dovian noble family that none of the main characters belong to directly. One of Octavius's sister-in-laws is a Callcevern, as is Alina's mother.
Calvel: a brother and sister pair I made from two townies to help fill up the village I'm making.
Carpion: This is Honora's family, although she's the only one with that name currently. I will eventually add her siblings when I need them in, and in order to do that, I'll need to add her parents as well.
Charveil: a modified NPC for the village.
Ciramel: Norwan and his kids. I don't imagine he has siblings, so I doubt there will be anymore additions to this family tree, unless he starts raping Thetis again.
Corran: a former townie now living in the village.
Dalvein: Medea's maid. I don't remember exactly why I made her. She's a romance aspiration, so maybe I could make her double as one of the "local whores" Norwan was talking about.
Deletra: Sister Elwyna.
Denvus: Aldhein, currently working at the castle as Roderick's steward and Geneva's sex slave.
Diarn: Halford and his daughter. He and Arydath will definitely be having more kids.
Eliwaine: the late wife of the local dirty old man. The only reason she had to be on the family tree is because the dirty old man has his daughter-in-law and grandkids living with him, so I needed to make him have a son.
Fedurin: just Arydath. She may or may not have siblings. If I decide she does, they and her parents will be up on the family tree.
Fenswein: Funny story. So I downloaded that set of default replacement medieval maternity clothes off of MTS2, but I noticed when I made Geneva start to show that she had the same one as Celina, so I used InSim to impregnate Geneva's former townie maid via a repairman who was on the lot for some reason just to see if she got the same one. She did (as did every woman in the neighborhood, which is why I now mainly everyday dresses with pregnant bumps), but InSim wouldn't abort a second trimester pregnancy without leaving the pregnant belly, so I reimpregnated the maid via the repairman, had her give birth, and grew her daughter up to adult to make another townie. The repairman was later selected to go and live in the village, so his family tree had to go up, and since he's about the same age as a lot of the characters' dads, I decided he had a daughter back in Dovia, so I just used his in-game daughter. Her mother is his late wife. She's not dead in the game, but she's one of those townies who are just too ugly to be allowed to live on a lot, so I'm just keeping her around in case I need a clone of someone.
Frey: This would be the aforementioned repairman and his daughter.
Gren: just Electra. My database says she has a brother, but I doubt he'll even ever be mentioned, so he's not on the family tree.
Havlei: another one of the chosen NPCs. I think she was a grocery delivery girl.
Indruion: Adonis and his son. Adonis is an only child, so no detailed ancestry for him.
Jamoran: Roderick's family, the Royal Family of Dovia and Naroni.
Jayden: a former Maxis gardener now dwelling in the village.
Kaswick: yet another NPC who now lives in the village. If I remember correctly, he was a cop.
Kelistine: Medea's family, the Earls of Sarona.
Kemorin: Severin's family, the Dukes of Luperia and Lords of Veldora.
Kiarick: just the guy Laveria married when Severin was like, ten. He's dead now.
Larona: just Thetis, another only child. The only way she'll ever get some ancestors up there is if her uncle comes into the story. If that happens, she'll get not only parents, but grandparents too.
Lowan: a random townie that the repairman's daughter married.
Maesflein: another one of my made-over NPCs. He's a teenager, a former sales clerk, so he's currently an apprentice the the repairman, who is now a butcher.
Minara: Geneva's family, the Earls of Bandera.
Mokonri: Dalston's family, the Lords of Beretrin and Dukes of Armion.
of Ashtoreth: Laveria, who lacks a proper last name. Since she's got a fairly mysterious past, her ancestors are not listed.
Revin: a former pizza girl now working as the landlady at the village inn.
Sadiel: Alina's family, the Counts of Valcria.
Selvar: Florian and Hamrick's late mother, all by her lonesome.
Tamrion: Octavius's family, the Lords of Felonis and Barons of Tetran.
Telwyn: another recently relocated townie.
Tumekrin: Florian and Hamrick and their dad.
Vilran: daughter-in-law to the local dirty old man. Interestingly enough, my database says this is also the maiden name of Thetis's mother. Hmmm...
Wythleit: the local dirty old man, who will definitely be coming into the story at some point, his late son, and his grandkids. His eldest grandson is Severin's steward and will be making an appearance in the next post.
Ysettra: Celina's family, the Counts of Tagrien. They're doomed though. The only surviving Ysettras are Celina and her female cousin, who is married to one of Octavius's brothers. The Countship, therefore, now belongs to the Tamrions (which should really boost Medea's opinion of Octavius, but it doesn't).

Also, now that I've actually worked all this out, I've realized that there is a slight error. I think I've made some reference to Severin and Celina being first cousins, which they are not. They are only third cousins. However, I can explain this. Celina grew up with Roderick and his siblings, who are actually first cousins to Severin. As a child, Severin would have come to associate Celina with King Farilon's kids, since I'm sure he would have been told something like "We're going to visit your cousins" as opposed to "We're going to visit your cousins and Celina". Therefore, while Celina isn't actually his first cousin, she might as well be.

6 comments:

Penelope said...

Sweet! *Runs off to look at shiny new family tree*

Penelope said...

Hmm I can't see the entire photobucket address in the "notes" sections. I don't know if this is just me or if you need to put a line break in the addresses somewhere?

Van said...

Yeah, I noticed that too. I wish I knew HTML :(

What you can do is double click on the address to highlight the whole thing, and then go to the beginning of the URL in the address bar and backspace out any titles or whatnot.

Penelope said...

*smacks self on forehead* Of course! Why hadn't I tried that?

Van said...

Don't worry about it. I didn't think about it myself until I wrote that comment :)

Gambolian said...

To upload a GED file from your own family tree go to this link
http://tribalpages.com/signup5.html

Ancestry.com will charge you for anything. Tribal doesn't! Ancestry has given every Genealogy site on the Internet a bad Rep. Sad!

Review:
Tribal is no good if you are just entering information. You can't merge names. If there is the same name already in the tree twice you can't merge it and its a real pain to fix. There are way too many problems with this site including support. It's good for uploading a GED file so you can share with family and friends but useless for anything else. Every few mins you have to sign back in. Not a great site. They probably sell your info to ancestry.com anyway.