November 11, 2008

In Which Thetis is Rescued from the Troll

March 22, 1155

Not for the first time that morning, Thetis found herself struggling with a bout of nausea. Her illness had been reoccurring over the past few weeks--coupled with the fact that she hadn't bled in over a month, this could only mean one thing.

I'm going to have a baby. I'm really going to have a baby.

As she reclined on the bed, she couldn't help but smile. She had considered the possibility of her pregnancy over the past while, but with the memory of her past miscarriage, it was only today that it was suddenly a reality. Thetis couldn't help but smile as she pictured her future baby; would it be a boy, or a girl? Would it look like her, or like--?

"Thetis!" barked her husband as he barged into the bedroom. "Where in the blazes is my breakfast?"

Hurriedly, Thetis pulled herself to her feet and edged away from the bed; of all the things Norwan did to her when he was angry with her, rape was the punishment she feared most. "I'm sorry," she whimpered softly. "I... I forgot..."

"You forgot?" Norwan spat. "You forgot? Dammit, girl, I've told you once, I've told you a hundred times--when I come in from the field in the morning, I want my breakfast on the table, waiting for me! How many times do I have to tell you that, you stupid wench?"

Trembling, she turned away from him and sought refuge in the corner like a child who had just been spanked. "Never again, I promise!"

"You look at me when I'm talking to you, you ugly little tramp!"

Before she could react, he had grabbed her by the shoulder and pulled her toward him. She cringed in fear as he raised his hand, bracing herself for the stinging impact that would surely follow.

His strike was quick, but firm. She felt the familiar tingling sensation spread throughout her cheek, then turned her eyes to the dirt floor.

"Yes... Norwan. I... I won't f-forget again, I p-promise."

"Good," he hissed. "Good Lord, you're lucky I married you, girl--God knows no one else would've, scrawny little witch you are. Now, I'm going to take a nap, and when I wake up, my breakfast better be on that table!"

Finding herself unable to speak, she merely nodded.

"Oh, and Thetis?"

"Y-yes?" she managed to choke.

Norwan scowled. "I'm not stupid. Don't think I haven't noticed you haven't been bleeding for a while. I'm warning you now; if you lose this one, there'll be hell to pay. You got that?"

This time, she did nothing, but the look in her eyes must have satisfied him. "Now get out!"

She didn't have to be told twice. Not only did she leave the bedroom, but the house as well. Unfortunately, she had nowhere to go but Norwan's field, where he toiled between meals and naps. This was his sanctuary, that she knew; however, she lacked one of her own, and currently, his was unoccupied.

Nobody lived within several miles of Norwan and Thetis; there would be no one to hear her crying, she realized, unless Norwan woke. She would have to take her chances with him--she couldn't hold it in anymore. This past year had been by far the most difficult of her young life, and for six months, she had been unable to express that. It was about time that those six months of tears were cried.

"Excuse me, young lady," a man's voice that was not Norwan's addressed her, proving her assumption wrong, "but I can't help noticing that you seem to be upset. May I ask why?"

Thetis looked up to see a tall man standing in front of her. She had never seen him before--he had not traveled from Dovia with the king's party as she and Norwan had. He was dressed too finely to be a peasant... was he a gentleman, perhaps? A lesser noble? His eyes betrayed his Eastern blood, but his fair skin labeled him a Luperian; surely he had not traveled all the way from that farthest region of Dovia to godforsaken Naroni?

"Well, first my papa d-died," she answered between sobs, "and then my m-mama died. And th-then I went to live with my uncle, and then, th-then..." she trailed off, her tears taking over once more.

"Does your uncle live in this house?" asked the man.

Thetis swallowed. "No, my uncle is back in D-Dovia. I'm here with my h-husband."

"Husband?" he repeated. "You're married? How old are you, sweetheart?"

"Th-thirteen," she stuttered. "Fourteen in May."

The man frowned. "That's awfully young to be married. What is your husband like?"

"Oh, I hate him!" she exclaimed. "My uncle made me marry him, just because he owed him some money! He beats me and he r-rapes me and he calls me stupid and ugly and--"

"Don't listen to him; surely he is only jealous, because he himself is stupid and ugly," her new acquaintance assured her.

She blinked. "R-really?"

"What reason have I to lie to you?" he inquired; she could think of none. "You are a beautiful, intelligent young woman, and you shouldn't let anyone tell you otherwise."

"But if I don't listen to him, he'll hit me!" she cried. "Or worse! And I'm pregnant--I don't want him to hurt my baby!"

The man nodded. "I see. Well, why don't you come and stay with my wife and I in Veldora until the baby is born? My wife is also pregnant--when are you due?"

"Why--early November, I guess," she replied, smiling slightly. "Could I really stay with you?"

"Of course," he insisted. "My wife is due in mid October; you could help take care of our baby for a few weeks, so you'll be prepared for your own. By the way, young lady, you must forgive me... what is your name?"

"Thetis Larona--er, Thetis Ciramel," Thetis introduced herself, adding Norwan's surname with a hint of bitterness.

He smiled. "I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that last bit; you don't mind if I just think of you as Thetis Larona, do you?"

For the first time in months, she laughed; she felt like a princess who had just been rescued from a vicious troll by a handsome knight. "Oh, not at all!"

Instinctively, she flung her arms around his torso, burying her face in his shoulder. Chuckling to himself, he returned the embrace. "I'm sure you and Alina will be the best of friends by the time your baby is born."

"It's funny that I know your wife's name and not yours," she mused.

"Oh, sorry. It's Severin," he told her. "Severin Kemorin. You must excuse me, I'm notorious for forgetting to introduce myself; I met the Baron of Tetran a few days ago, and I don't recall telling him my name, now that I think about it. However, you, unlike him, were bold enough to comment--that can be a very useful quality."

"Norwan says I'm useless," sighed Thetis.

"That's because Norwan is a vile old lecher. Now come along--I daresay it's about time to get some breakfast into you."

He led her out of the field and onto the path leading from the front door to the road, a content sort of quiet falling between the two of them. Thetis, however, wished he would continue to speak--it had been so long since she had heard a male voice other than Norwan's.

"So you live all the way out in Veldorashire?" she inquired of him, attempting to break the silence. "What brings you all the way out here to Ambrin-Naroni?"

"Nothing particularly important--just some hunting," Severin answered promptly.

Thetis gasped. "Oh, I hope I didn't frighten away any game with my crying!"

"No need to worry," he declared, "for I was hunting for priests, and everyone knows that there are no priests in Naroni. I was actually riding into Dovia to retrieve an old friend of mine, but it won't matter much if I delay the journey a day or two."

As much as she felt she shouldn't, Thetis couldn't help but be jealous of Severin's Alina. Alina had a good man for a husband; she did not. Alina's baby would grow up with a loving father; hers would not. How had that woman come to be so lucky, whereas misfortune upon misfortune had befallen Thetis in only one year?

"Thetis, idiot girl! You forgot my breakfast again!"

Norwan was awake, outside, and angry.

"And who is this man?" he demanded of her. "Have you taken a lover, you little slut? I didn't think anyone would have you, you worthless piece of trash!"

Thetis didn't respond. She didn't have to; Severin already had. "How dare you accuse her of infidelity--can't you see that she's only a child? At her age, a husband is more than enough for her, even a husband as cruel and miserable as you are!"

"A man has every right to put his wife in her place if he has to," Norwan defended himself between gritted teeth.

Severin scowled. "Is that so?" he snarled. "Well, if you are such a devout believer of antiquated hierarchies, then bear in mind that a noble has every right to put a peasant in his place if he has to. I am a son of Lonriad, Duke of Luperia, and cousin to both King Roderick of Naroni and Celina, Duchess of Armion. I wed a daughter of Searle, Count of Valcria and currently reside in the castle at Veldora. Now, if your ancient ideas of class allow it, challenge my authority--I dare you."

"I... I..." stammered Norwan. "If you excuse my saying, my lord... it's my own free choice what I do to my wife--"

"Not while she's carrying your child, it isn't!" Severin shouted; Norwan jumped backwards in shock. "Now, I'm taking your wife back to Veldora with me, where she will stay until her baby is born--and longer, if you give her any trouble. Have I made myself clear?"

"Y-yes, my lord."

And with that, Norwan hurried back inside the house. Severin turned his back on the now closed door, an angry expression lingering on his face. Carefully, Thetis approached him.

"I'm sorry you had to hear that, Thetis," he apologized. "I loathe men like him."

She frowned. "Did you know one?"

Sighing, he closed his eyes. "It's not a story for young ears. Now, we should make haste away from here--you look half-starved, and you must remember that you're eating for two now."

NEXT CHAPTER:

10 comments:

Van said...

And with that, the introductory phase comes to a close--all eight founding couples have now been introduced.

Anyway, I realized that I haven't mentioned some of the characters' ages, so I'll just list them here, since they've all appeared now. In order from oldest to youngest:

Norwan is 31
Adonis is 26
Halford, Electra, Roderick, and Octavius are 25
Dalston is 24
Medea is 23
Geneva, Celina, and Severin are 22
Arydath is 20
Florian and Alina are 19
Honora is 18
Thetis, as mentioned above, is 13

Hmmm, the two oldest guys are married to the two youngest girls--how did that happen? Anyway, we can expect to see a few babies in the next round of posts. Celina's due first by a month or so. I'm debating whether or not to play God with the babies' genders (apparently you can with Sim PE). Oh well, I haven't taken any pictures yet other than the preview one at the bottom of the post, so I still have time to decide.

Penelope said...

Severin to the rescue!

Is it wrong to hope she loses that baby? Giving birth at thirteen has to be a fairly life-threatening ordeal with only a midwife and a warm towel to help you along.

Tiana said...

Oh what a horrible man, and to do that to a little girl! I'm so surprised that he was able to just take her away like that...I guess the rules change in a new kingdom..and it doesn't seem like Sev really gives a crap what anyone else thinks. I like that he called him a lecherous old man too...and I hope that that sweet little girl never has to go back to that monster...or that she pulls a Sophie on him.

Evil bastard...yea for Sev! One of my favorite characters so far...

Oh and I'm caught up! And you update quickly it would appear! Maybe I should follow suite!

Van said...

Thanks for reading--glad you're enjoying it so far!

Unfortunately, we haven't seen the last of Norwan, but at least Thetis is safe for now.

Yeah, Sev is kind of a modern-day thinker in a medieval world. I can't wait to write up the next post, when he comes face-to-face with Roderick; something tells me they'll end up being foils to each other. It's funny, I recycled these characters from a story I attempted to write several years ago, and the original Severin was the exact opposite of this incarnation of himself. It's almost as if he and Roderick completely switched roles. Oh well--I like this Severin a lot more :)

To be honest, I'm not sure how long I can keep the quick updates coming. I'm one of those people who gets really psyched at the beginning of a project like this, then gradually becomes lazy. I've surprised myself so far, though--maybe I'll actually stick to this one :)

Tiana said...

Yea Sev is definitely an awesome character...almost hero like.

Funny, I have the same problem...getting psyched about a project then less as time goes on...I'm really trying not to do that with Saoghal...cause I really like the story and where its headed...so I try not to set deadlines for myself, then I don't feel as guilty for not completing it...or taking my time...and so on.

As for writing...I take the pictures and then write...that way if I can't get the picture I want...or get some random awesome picture on accident...I can incorporate it all better. But I'm not sure how others do it.

Well I hope you keep it up for a while! It's a really well written story! Maybe we can encourage each other to write, that always seems to help :)

Van said...

Sounds good. I can't wait for the next Saoghal chapter :)

I don't see how people can set deadlines for themselves. For me, that just makes it seem like homework.

I just finished taking the pictures for the next post--it's weird how the first post had seven pictures and this one coming up has forty-two. I may take my time writing this one...

Van said...

Sorry Pen, I haven't responded to your comment yet! My bad!

No, it's not wrong to hope she loses the baby. Giving birth at such a young age in those days would have definitely been dangerous. However, Thetis does seem pretty attached to her little baby so far, and who knows? She might turn out to be tougher than she seems.

Anonymous said...

Severin FTW!! I hope he can protect that poor little girl.

Verity said...

Wow, Severin is just too awesome to be true. What a great guy! I wonder what Norwan's deal is. I mean, seriously what a horrible man. Poor little Thetis. I am glad she will be at least safe from him for a while. It would be bad if she lost the babies (though if she keeps them she might lose her life).

Van said...

Yeah, I've been trying to make Severin a little less perfect lately. I tried to make him seem rather inwardly-tormented in his most recent PoV, but you probably won't see that for a while :)

I've been racking my brain for an explanation for Norwan's ways, but I keep drawing blanks. Probably a combination of an abusive father and a neglectful mother, but that still doesn't seem quite enough to explain his sheer awfulness.