September 23, 2009

In Which Holladrin Debates the Greatest Tragedy of All

February 19, 1162

The stained glass windowpanes had been repaired quickly, but it was so fine a job that one would have never believed it had been done in so little time had they not seen its previous sate shortly before the repairs had begun. Holladrin, however, had seen the window in its broken state, so she could be certain that it had indeed been broken beforehand; her difficulty was in accepting the fact that her own, formerly impeccable cousin had been the one to break it.

It was common knowledge that Medea's mother had lost her mind well before she died. Though Holladrin knew this, she had not yet been born when the countess had died, and therefore had never witnessed her decline firsthand. Roderick, however, had some recollection of her, and he had sworn to her that she had not gone nearly so insane as Medea. Perhaps--though she felt positively horrible for even considering the thought--it had been for the best that she had died giving birth to Cambrin. Had she lingered for longer, she may have ended up just like her daughter; reduced to bare animalism, instinctively tearing herself from her cage in whatever physically possible way, even if it meant a fall to her death.

Someone knocked on the door. "Who is it?" she inquired softly, praying it was neither Sparron nor Jeda; neither of them needed to see their mother's final prison.

"It's just me," replied Octavius--to her great relief. "Do you mind if I come in?"

She knew that he could not see her, but she shook her head regardless. "Please, do."

Behind her, the door creaked open, his footsteps drawing nearer; in this macabre chamber, his presence was oddly calming. "I'm sorry about your cousin," he told her grimly.

I'm sorry about your cousin. A pity, truly; it should have been she telling him that she was sorry about his wife. Unfortunately, Medea had never truly been such in more than name alone.

"It's probably for the best," sighed Holladrin. "I'm sorry that I made you move her, however; I thought she would be safer here than in that dungeon. Tragically ironic, really."

"No one would have guessed that she would have done such a thing," he tried to reassure her.

Though not entirely convinced, Holladrin turned to face him. "I suppose you're right. Now, what did Vulcran have to say?"

One of the sons of the Count of Valcria had arrived that morning, evidently with some news from Dovia for all the noble families. As she had spent the day with Octavius's children, and had then retreated to Medea's room, Holladrin had not yet heard it.

"His niece Riona was married my nephew Nythran on the ninth," Octavius explained. "It was a private ceremony, as per the wishes of her father. She is now Lady Felonis."

Holladrin raised an eyebrow. "Haldred's daughter? Isn't she only fourteen?"

Octavius shrugged. "Her sister married at thirteen."

That was true. Alas, marriage was probably not the most sensitive of topics to discuss with Octavius at present, she realized a moment too late. Slowly, she extended her arm and reached for his hand, endowing it with a gentle squeeze. "Sorry. You probably don't want to talk about such things, do you?"

Her fingers briefly brushed against his wedding band; resignedly, they both let go, allowing their hands to fall back to their sides.

"Don't worry about how I feel about all of this," he insisted after a brief moment of silence. "I came to terms with it some time ago."

"I see. Your children seem to be taking it well enough too," she mused aloud.

Sighing, he shook his head. "And perhaps that is the greatest tragedy of all; when I told them that their mother had died, they seemed quite surprised at the fact that they even had one. They never did get to know her, and even before her decline, she was never particularly interested in them."

Holladrin frowned; she could imagine for one second how anyone could be indifferent to two such wonderful children as the twins. "That, Octavius, is the greatest tragedy of all."

Nodding, Octavius took a minute to inhale slowly. Then--

"Sit with me a minute?"

She took him by the hand and allowed herself to be led to the couch by the empty fireplace. They both took a seat, then exchanged a quick glance.

"I'm sorry that you were pulled into the middle of all this, Holladrin," he began. "I hope you understand that I would have never purposely hurt you."

She nodded. "I know, but you didn't hurt me. If anything, I hurt you."

"You couldn't if you tried, I assure you."

Holladrin lightly tapped the frame of the couch with her foot as she shifted her weight back and forth on the cushion. "So... what do we do now?"

Octavius closed his eyes. "I suppose there is nothing left to do but wait."

"It is soon," she agreed.

"Very."

"We shall wait."

"Just... wait."

"Wait..."



NEXT CHAPTER:

18 comments:

cheripye said...

All they can do is wait? wait, LOL! what does that mean, LOL!

Ok so Octavius is free at long last to Hopefully pursue Holladrin... That is of course if she doesnt attack him first LOL!

And hmmm... Medea's craziness and death are starting to worry me regarding Princess... Arent they sisters? and if so uhm...

Great chapter cant wait for the next. 80)

Van said...

Heheheh... more will be passively revealed in the next post :)

No, Alina and Medea were... second cousins, I think? Maybe third? Regardless, I don't imagine Alina's too shaken up over it. In fact, they have probably been partying in Veldora all month--Medea had something of a feud with both Alina and Severin, though it was only ever mentioned in passing.

cheripye said...

Darn only passive, LOL!

Ok I knew they were related somehow... Hmmm this is starting to make me think about the whole beginning where everyone disapeared. 80)

Van said...

The whole Dovian upper-class is related. They're ridiculously inbred.

Penelope da Fox said...

She nodded. "I know, but you didn't hurt me. If anything, I hurt you."

"You couldn't if you tried, I assure you."


Heh, ok, I know what he meant-- That Holladrin is a gentle soul, couldn't hurt fly-- But personally, I would have been offended. I would have thought he meant that he just didn't give a crap. I'm sure that possibility didn't occur to Holladrin though, what with her rose-colored view of the world. And not that that's a bad thing, really. It's probably what has preserved her sweet nature.

In any case, I'm not happy about this, Van! *shakes fist at author* Holladrin needs someone swoon-worthy. Not some spineless idiot. (The spine not being the anatomical region that I might have referenced were this my own comments section.)

Van said...

Sorry, Pen... but there was so much leading up to it that I was at the point where I was committed, unless I wanted to pull a total cliche where she suddenly realizes she could do better and just drops him.

If it makes you feel any better, the post after next is the last in this particularly story arc. After that, if we see hide or hair of either Holladrin or Octavius for the next little while, they'll be in the background of someone else's post and not likely making any appearances as a couple. The next time I have them planned to appear together isn't even in Naroni--it's an Ashelia cameo.

Phoenix said...

I like them together! They kinda remind me of Jane and Mr Bingley from Pride & Prejudice. A couple that will be content and not have so much drama.

And I like how long the wait lasted! LOL!!

Van said...

Never read Pride and Prejudice, but I see what you mean. They'll definitely be comfortable, but I probably won't write about them much because there won't be a lot of drama (unless maybe Holladrin gets sick again... but I think I'll let her be happy for a while).

Heheheh... in their defense... they kind of have been waiting for a while (as cruel as it is to say).

thewynd said...

I wondered how Holladrin would feel about this. It really was tragic but there seems to be light at the end isn't there...

Van said...

Yeah, she's quite grieved about her cousin... but on the other hand...

It's definitely a tangled web, that's for sure. Probably my biggest regret about this storyline is accidentally portraying Octavius and Holladrin as a couple of selfish jerks just waiting on Medea to die just so they could get in each other's pants :(

Oh well, learn from the mistakes, I suppose...

Verity said...

Love it! Let's just wait...

and then the last picture. That was really cute. At least some happiness will come out of this whole horrible mess I guess.

Van said...

Thanks Verity :)

Yeah, these two are quite happy together. The way they came to be is rather sucky, though.

lothere said...

And then they had wild SECKS on the bed in the room where HIS WIFE DIED!

OH THE HUMANITY!

OK, "No one would have guessed that she would have done such a thing..." WTF? She was INSANE! In a third-story room full of glass! I want to simultaneously bang together the heads of everyone in that castle who is over the age of 13.

I think Holladrin had a non-cliché "out" at the moment she realized that her crush was keeping his mad wife lying in her own filth in a room full of SKELETONS, and seemed only mildly uncomfortable with that. This is less Pride and Prejudice and more like Jane Eyre meets Silence of the Lambs.

Oh my, I'm going to bed. Drunken Naroni-catching-up is a dangerous pastime. I am too excitable as it is. I am going to try again in the morning with black coffee! :-D See what you do to me, Van! *shakes fist* *presses wrist to forehead and falls over*

lothere said...

That camera trick at the end with the suggestive picture of the bed was quite droll however. I applaud you.

(Even though the thought of sleeping with Octavius would have made me mildly ill even before the SKELETONS.)

Van said...

"This is less Pride and Prejudice and more like Jane Eyre meets Silence of the Lambs."

Okay, so I've never actually read Pride and Prejudice, but I have read Jane Eyre and seen Silence of the Lambs, so naturally, I laughed hysterically when I read that. It's so true!

Sorry about this, Lothere. This is one of those storylines I sometimes tell myself never really happened. I kind of wrote myself into all sorts of corners here, and I'm still trying to figure out how to redeem all these characters.

Van said...

Thanks about the shot :) To be honest, it was somewhat of an accident, since I couldn't get a good one of them from the front (her sleeves kept getting in the way, plus they're stretched to have like a three inch height difference, so their mouths never met), so I ended up with that angle and the conveniently located bed. Funny how that works sometimes :)

lothere said...

OK, I am back and I am sober. Sorry for all my ALL-CAPS last night... I think that playing catch-up and reading all those chapters one after the other instead of a few days apart was too much for this one drunken lady to take. :-)

I wish I had been paying attention that you had been following along after me in the comments and had been reading your replies as you went too. :-D

I totally know how it feels to get a storyline started, and then wish it had never happened, and try to sweep it under the rug in an awkward way. (The whole Sela story basically. ;-) And I think my feelings about Cecily are going that way. I don't want Caedwulf to be insane! *whimpers* He would totally have an OMG SKELETON on a bed in his room, except it would be his Mommy's.)

I had the same thing happen with the Egelric+Maire affair, actually, but that time I chose to be pitiless with myself and force myself to make the most logical consequences follow. If Egelric had done what he did, and nothing bad happened to him, it would have been an OMGWTF SKELETONS! situation in Lothere, I think. Sometimes a character is naughty and just has to be punished. I've kind of given up on Octavius because he never was more than a slightly creepy flabby pink slab of a man ANYWAY, but Florian deserves some writerly intensive care. He has such depths to him, and you have his voice down so well, I am sure you can find a way to redeem him. Florian is one of my favorite characters in contemporary fiction. :-D

(So this whole thing happened because you were a little careless when dropping CC in the room? Confess. :-D If there had been a straw pallet without an OMG SKELETON on it, would this whole thing never have happened?)

Van said...

Not the OMGSKELETONS part, that's for sure.

Pffffft, no worries. Drunken comments are amusing :)

But yeah, how I think I'm going to go about with this situation here is by keeping all these characters out of the spotlight for the most part, giving them sort of little appearances every once in a while until readers start to warm up to them again. I'm not too concerned about Octavius and Holladrin, since they're happy and probably won't be showing up much in the future anyway, but I hafta hafta hafta salvage Florian, dammit!

One of your favorite characters in contemporary fiction? Thank you! I'm sure Florian appreciates that :D