January 16, 2009

In Which Thetis is Given an Unusual First Impression

February 2, 1156

"Hello, Electra," Thetis greeted the woman seated at the table as she stepped inside the house.

"Hello, Thetis," she replied. However, she did not turn around to face her visitor.

Thetis frowned. Though often flustered, Electra ordinarily made an effort to make her guests feel at home; clearly, she was preoccupied.

"Is something the matter?" inquired Thetis.

The older woman sighed. "I've been feeling a little ill lately."

This, Thetis knew, was bad news--both for Electra and Thetis's own daughter. "Electra... you don't think... it's not what your husband has, is it?"

"Oh, no," dismissed Electra. "What Florian has is making him weak. He's lost a lot of weight since he's been sick, and his appetite's gone. Also, he gets stomach pains every so often. Me... I'm just getting the nausea, and it comes in waves. When Florian gets it, it stays for a while."

What Electra was describing, Thetis realized, was nothing to worry about at all.

"Correct me if I'm wrong," she began; she wasn't entirely sure about whether or not Electra was sleeping with her husband, given his condition. "But do you think it might be... morning sickness?"

For a moment, Electra did not respond. Then--

"I don't want to get my hopes up."

"Oh."

Thetis didn't know what to say to her. This woman was practically twice her age and childless, while she herself had a healthy pair of twins; any words she could give Electra would just be empty reassurance, a sort of awkward formality that would just end up being silently unappreciated, and really deserved no more than that.

"I have to go to the market for a few things," Electra muttered as she pulled herself out of her chair, seemingly more to herself than to Thetis. "Florian's asleep in the bedroom. Can you stay until I come back, just so Evera's not alone with someone who can occasionally wakes up and finds he can barely even stand, let alone take care of a baby?"

"I'd be happy to," answered Thetis truthfully. This would be her first time alone with her daughter since they had lived together at Lord Severin's keep; she had been secretly hoping for this opportunity for quite some time.

Electra gave a half-hearted smile. "I thought so. Thank you, Thetis."

"No, thank you, Electra," she protested, "for caring for her. I'm sorry to have burdened you like this, really."

The other woman shook her head. "Evera is anything but a burden."

They exchanged a quick, parting grin, then before Thetis knew it, Electra was heading out the door, clutching the back of her head, as if going to battle against a particularly malicious headache.

Thetis took a moment to observe Florian's crops through the window. Despite the farmer's ailment, they looked quite healthy--healthier than Norwan's even--and truth be told, it was nice to be able to see them from the kitchen. Thetis's own house only had one window, and it faced the road, not a single plant more interesting than grass in sight. Electra's was a comfortable house, considering it only housed three people, perhaps soon to be four; it was a little small for any more than that, though. Still, at least it wasn't unbearably dark, like her own house was. And to think, it was even made of stone instead of wood! This, Thetis was certain, was a house that would still be standing when Florian and Electra and their baby were long dead; Norwan's might not even outlive Goodman Diarn's current herd of pigs, for all she knew.

Suddenly, the door leading to Electra's bedroom creaked open. "Electra? Electra, are you there?"

Thetis opened her mouth to reply, but before she could tell him that Electra had left, Florian had emerged. They had never met before, and honestly, she had not known what to expect. He could have been deathly pale, or covered in boils the size of chicken eggs, or had veins popping through his skin like an elderly woman that had lived in Thetis's old village; but this, oh... this was so much worse than any or all of those things.

He was completely and thoroughly stark naked.

"Oh God!" he gasped, promptly throwing his hands up and turning away; Thetis found it somewhat strange that of all the things he could have covered, he'd immediately chosen his face. "Who... what... oh, for Christ's sake!"

"I'm sorry!" she screamed. "Really!"

It was like an eclipse. She knew she shouldn't stare directly at it, that it was dangerous... but for some reason, probably sheer, girlish curiosity, she was unable to look away. She didn't find the fact too surprising, but it was considerably larger than Norwan's.

"No, it's... my fault," he choked. "Look... I..."

Instead of finishing his sentence, however, he chose to retreat into his dark bedroom.

Thetis could not decide what the greater sin was. On one hand, she had just seen another woman's husband naked; on the other, she had just seen a man who was not her own husband naked. Surely, even one of those was worth a month's penance. She resolved to ask Father Quintus the next time she went to Mass, so long as Norwan was out of earshot.

She didn't have much time to wonder, however, as her new acquaintance had just reentered the room.

"Look, whoever you are," Florian began awkwardly, "I'm sorry about... that. I really should have made sure no one else was here, but we don't get a lot of company, so..."

"So you always walk around your house naked?" Thetis finished for him.

"No!" he exclaimed in protest. "I just... just... how old are you? Twelve?"

"Fourteen!" she corrected him, "Fourteen and a half, actually--almost fourteen and three quarters!"

"Whatever, same difference. Little girls shouldn't talk about such things."

Thetis sighed. "I don't want to talk about that. I'll just... can I just see Evera?"

"Wait," muttered Florian, striding toward her. "Are you... Thetis?"

"Does it matter?" she demanded of him, crossing her arms defensively.

"You are," he insisted.

"And either you're Florian," Thetis deduced, "or Electra is in the habit of keeping strange naked men in her bedroom."

"As far as I know, Electra has no such habit," Florian assured her. "I must say, those eyes are pretty on Evera, but they're even nicer on you."

She didn't know exactly what to do with this; Norwan hated her eyes, and never missed a chance to tell her that.

"Oh. Well... thank you."

"You've got a loose strand of hair," he informed her, "just above your left ear. Just so you know."

Thetis reached one hand to her face to push it behind her ear, but Florian shook his head. "Let me. It's the least I can do after... that."

As he brushed the lock back into place with the back of his hand, Thetis couldn't help but smile. She'd been in this kingdom for over a year now, and for the first time, she felt as though there was a reason for her presence there. This man was dying physically, and she herself was on the verge of dying emotionally. They were both stuck in loveless marriages, and without any family to miss them back in Dovia. It really had been quite some time since she'd had someone to relate to, Thetis realized. Sure, Falidor could be considered a friend, as could Lord Severin and Lady Alina, Electra and Mistress Indruion... but she couldn't shake the feeling that even though they'd just met, it was Florian who was her true familiar.

NEXT CHAPTER:

17 comments:

Van said...

Sorry that this post is a little late. I meant to have it up some time on Wednesday, but I wrote the written response part of my English diploma that morning, so after two solid hours of perfecting (or attempting to perfect) the two essays worth a quarter of my final mark, I had to take a break from writing for the rest of the day. I then meant to have it up last night/early this morning, but would you believe it? Power outage :(

lothere said...

Hahaha Florian! I don't know why I didn't think of that. What a dolt to cover his face first! If I can't see you, you can't see me! :-D

So Florian and Thetis, eh? Is that what you have in mind? That could sorta work maybe... it doesn't seem like Electra would mind (or would she?? I'm still not sure). But OH BOY Norwan would pitch a fit, and he would have every right to beat her black and blue and her lover too. I am cringing in advance.

I am also hoping for Electra to get her baby too, is that bad? She seemed so sad in this post.

Penelope said...

teeheehee

Why WAS he walking around in the buff? I mean, I know a lot of guys that prefer to walk around in just their boxers but completely naked?

Quite an embarrassing first meeting for all parties involved. I do worry about what might become of Electra and her potential child if Florian ends up with Thetis somehow.

Penelope said...

Sorry for the double post but BTW, that new skin is really looking good on Florian's abs. :D

Van said...

ACTUALLY, my original plan was for Thetis to have a little thing with someone she has yet to meet, but I'm seriously reconsidering.

What I usually do before I take pictures involving a first meeting is I set their relationship to "acquaintances" with InSim, turn on free will for ten minutes, and see what their autonomous actions are, just to see what happens and if it would fit with their characters. The first interaction they had was "Charm", which was really weird, considering that without the chemistry factor that comes with Nightlife, I'd only ever seen romance sims do that, and only if they had a want like "flirt with so-and-so" or "kiss so-and-so". Thetis is a family sim, so she did have a "flirt" want, but it wasn't specific to Florian. Florian is a fortune sim, so all his sim really cares about is buying microwaves and trash compactors and other things they didn't have back in those days. Yet for the whole time, they were all over each other. I think they even made out a few times. So the question is, is this a sign, or just a funny coincidence? I still haven't decided yet.

However, if Florian ever decided to pursue a relationship with Thetis, he'd need to soften up a bit, or at least with her; the poor girl's been hurt enough. He'd probably also wait for her to get a little older (although that's not really necessary, considering their age difference is like a third of Thetis and Norwan's).

And yeah, Electra would not have a problem with Florian having an affair, and Florian would have no qualms about cheating on Electra. Thetis might have a problem with getting involved with another woman's husband, unless Electra specifically told her to go ahead with it, and Norwan would definitely not be too happy about it.

As for the baby, I don't think it would be too much of a big deal. If Florian ends up getting involved with Thetis before the kid was born, or when the kid was really young, he'd probably just grow up not questioning the whole thing. On the contrary, he might be unable to understand the whole concept of a conventional marriage. He might ask questions like, "Mommy, if Daddy has a girlfriend, why don't you have a boyfriend?" or "So your mommy IS your daddy's girlfriend? And they're MARRIED? That's WEIRD!"

Lothere: No, it is definitely NOT bad to hope for Electra to get her baby :D

Penelope: I'm really liking these Louis skins, especially this tan one I'm using as the default replacement for skin #2. Both Florian and Electra look much better than they did previously, in my opinion.

As for why Florian was naked, there are a few possibilities:

A) He had sex with Electra the previous night.

Hmm... not likely, I don't think, if she's been having morning sickness for awhile. They were only sleeping together to get pregnant, and since it's already done, what's the point? They don't really enjoy sex with each other--they both find it somewhat creepy.

B) He had some sort of pain in some awkward place and was checking.

Hmmm... acceptable, considering that he's been suffering from some mysterious ailment for quite some time now. I don't think it really fits the symptoms of what he has, but... oh wait! I'm the only one who knows that right now :)

c) He was... you know what? Let's just stick with B!

And I have absolutely no objections to multiple posts. Go right ahead :D

Penelope said...

He wouldn't actually need to be completely naked for C. LOL In fact, it's more likely that he wouldn't be.

That is really odd that Florian and Thetis's sims started going at it like that. Particularly since you don't have Nightlife and particularly since they're married. You don't have ACR do you?

My thought with the whole baby situation was that if the two of them were to get together, then they would leave their respective spouses. Which would mean that Electra would have to raise her baby alone.

I know I'm all late to the party with this comment. Sorry! :( I've had some serious technical difficulties of late that I've been trying to work out.

Van said...

Lol, true, nudity is not entirely necessary for flying solo. Underwear: like a condom... for your hands! Not that that's particularly useful... :S

I don't have ACR. I considered getting it, but it requires Nightlife. Kind of a blessing, now that I think about it, since I shudder to think about what would happen during photo-shoots involving Geneva and any given man (I think her sim's current wants are "woohoo with three different sims", "give backrub to Aldhein", "kiss Dalston", and "flirt with Severin").

I don't think Florian would walk out on Electra and the baby just so he could be with Thetis; they're the only family he has left, and even if he's not in love with Electra, he does care about her. Thetis would leave Norwan--she certainly had no qualms about walking out and going to live with Severin for a while, even though there was no chance for a romantic relationship there--but she would feel awful about leaving her kids.

The good news is, whoever I decide to put Thetis with, Norwan probably doesn't have too many years left (although unfortunately, I'm not sure he'll be the first to go).

No worries. Good luck with technical difficulties. What sorts of problems are you having?

Penelope said...

Wow, Geneva's a busy bee. I had ACR installed but then I got rid of it since it kind of has no point if you don't actually play the game. I keep free will off all of the time now. My boyfriend was watching me take pictures the other day, looked at all of the anim boxes I was using at said. "Is it even a game anymore?"

Thetis would have to leave her kids to leave Norwan?? If that's the case, then leaving Norwan really isn't an option for her. He has no clue how or even any desire to take care of a baby.

Actually, these sorts of questions are ones that I've been considering with Blue Lake because either Cherise is going to leave Dustin or she's going to completely lose her mind. But the differences there are that her kids are older than Thetis's, Cherise actually wants some time away from her kids and both her parents and her sister would be willing to look after kids. Thetis doesn't really have someone that could look after her son.

Norwan could always die in an untimely "accident". *whistles innocently*

And as far as my technical difficulties go, I've been having a problem where my neighborhood screen won't load. Or it will load but then my game moves too slowly to be usable. It's running beautifully on the boyfriend's fancy pants machine though so I was able to get chapter 45 shot yesterday. Really, I think I just need to re-install on my computer.

Van said...

I imagine she would. It's a little difficult to run away with a baby, and chances are, even if she left on her own, Norwan would find her. He was threatening to go to Roderick behind Severin's back when Thetis was living with him and Alina, and he certainly would if she left him again. Roderick is a very conservative, traditional kind of guy, so he'd definitely take Norwan's side and make Thetis go back to him.

Yeah, reinstalling will probably do it. So you take your pictures ahead of time? That's a good way to go about things. With Naroni, I normally just take them chapter-by-chapter, then the one preview picture as a starting point for the next, which is somewhat limiting. I'm going to try taking them in advance for the new story... when I get done with my writer's block, that is (and my math diploma).

Ooooooh, now I can't wait to see Cherise and Dustin and Beau again! Just wondering, does your version of Dustin have any redeemable qualities? He seemed like a real dick in that one post, but then again, we the readers have yet to see the inside of his head. Or will that be revealed later?

Penelope said...

Oh yeah. If anyone was ever in need of an accident, it would be Norwan.

I generally like to take my pics further in advance than I have been recently. I do this because if I have technical problems or if the photo shoot is complicated enough that I need some time to work on it, then I can generally still get my chapters up in a timely fashion. Not so much this month. But laziness has also been a factor this month.

Dustin! He's a TOTAL dick. And not even a vaguely lovable dick like Enoch is. But I think the difference there is that Enoch does have a few good qualities (even if we have yet to see them).

Hmm, I'm glad that you've suggested getting Dustin's POV though. I think I'll ruminate over that. It would be an interesting romp to take a trip through Dustin's brain. The only redeeming characteristic that I can think of is that he does love his family. But yeah, if Cherise were to walk out on him, he would have no idea of what to do to take care of the little ones. Or even how to take care of himself.

Penelope said...

I was perusing MTS2 when I came across this:

http://www.modthesims2.com/download.php?t=184494

Base game compatible rain! I don't know if you would ever want a rainy scene but I thought I'd give you a heads up anyway. :)

Van said...

OMG, this could definitely be useful to me! Thanks soooo much! :D

cheripye said...

Perhaps Thetis is just what Florian needs to get better, and perhaps Electra? I hope I got that right will be happy with the baby... Oh this is a wonderful story, great characterization and perfect balance between characters. 80)

cheripye said...

Perhaps Thetis is just what Florian needs to get better, and perhaps Electra? I hope I got that right will be happy with the baby... Oh this is a wonderful story, great characterization and perfect balance between characters. 80)

Van said...

Heheh... I can't really talk about the whole Florian/Electra/Thetis thing much at this point for risk of spoilers, but uh... you'll see what happens.

Thanks, Cheri! Glad you're enjoying the story so far. Wow, you've made some pretty good progress--I was worried the size of this story would scare people off, but it's good to see that that's not the case.

Adie said...

Well! That was unexpected!

Van said...

XD XD