September 10, 2012

In Which Anna Recalls the Expression

December 25, 1179

"Heh. Probably should have figured you'd be here too."

A blush burned hot across her cheeks as Anna slipped her book back into its place on the shelf. She wasn't exactly surprised to see him either, but if anything that made it all the more embarrassing. She knew she should have stayed put! "Isn't it bad luck for you to see me before the wedding?"

"Supposedly." Adrius shrugged. "But I never believed it."

That was a relief. For all life in Carvallon was governed by superstitions, it couldn't have hurt for its king to disregard some. "I never did either. Still--"

He cut her off with a kiss to her fingers, a small smile looming as his mouth broke away. He'd grown more confident around her--not the rude, cocky sort of confidence, but a steady sureness that only served to set her at ease. She took this as a good sign. If he'd grown in such a way within their relationship, who was to say he couldn't replicate the effect in his role as king? "It's all right. When you walk down that aisle, the sight of you will take my breath away all over again. And then again after we kiss at the altar, and after the toast at the banquet, and during our first dance."

The redness hadn't had a chance to vanish before flaring up again. Anna fanned herself with her free hand. So much for thinking 'blushing bride' was just an expression. "That's sweet."

"What can I say? You make it come easy." He reached for the back of her ear and ran his fingers gently along her jawbone. His hands were every bit as warm as her face but somehow, she wasn't uncomfortable. "Funny, isn't it? How a little bit of crazy turns out to be just what everyone needed?"

Anna let out a soft laugh. It seemed to calm her face somewhat, like some human equivalent to a kettle giving off steam. "I'll admit that I was due for some crazy before last year."

"Me too." He leaned in for a kiss, his lips soft yet steady against her own, passionate but no doubt conserving most of their prowess for the night. If she was still burning up, she no longer felt it and no longer cared. "My uncle gave us a few rare books as a wedding present. Do you maybe want to skim a couple while we're waiting?"

Oh, he knew her so well. "I'd love to."

NEXT CHAPTER:

9 comments:

Van said...

I figured this would be a short, sweet note on which to end the decade ;)

(Also, it's funny that I'd post the last post of Naroni's first quarter-century on September 10th--a.k.a. Roderick's birthday.)

Anyway, next post marks the very anti-climactic 25th anniversary, so if anyone wants to squeeze in any last-minute character palm readings, feel free to do so. And no, there is no maximum amount per person ;)

Joseph said...

Not sure whether you saw my request for Raia? And could I add Camaline to that list since I've just been thinking about her?

Oh and happy birthday to Roderick?

Van said...

Yep, I've got Raia down. And I will add Camaline to the list :)

The big 883 XD

Anonymous said...

... D'awww.

*melts*

The couple that reads together, stays together.

Three cheers for King Adrius and Queen Anna! May their reign be long and loving!

(Yes, I know this is completely disjointed and makes little sense. But they're just so cute!!!)

Van said...

There is quite a bit to be said about mutually enjoyed activities XD

They may be in for a bit of craziness yet. But I don't know if that'll be enough to tear them apart ;)

Anonymous said...

I think these two have become my favorite couple.

- Scribbles, who is out of witty things to say.

Van said...

They certainly are sweet together. :)

Chene said...

I spent this whole story arc thinking about Mona; her motivation, her selfishness, her status change, her future.
It only JUST truly hit me that this MAID is about to become QUEEN. I'm happy she's happy (especially because this was such a dick move on Monas part) but I feel that even if she wasn't so hopelessly in love this wouldn't be an opportunity to pass up without considerable thought. I think with a bit of training in politics Anna will make a great Queen though, far better than life-long Princess Mona.

Van said...

Well, Mona is dramatic enough to steal that focus. XD

Anna does have the opportunity of a lifetime here. And you're right: given time, she'll make a much better queen than Mona ever could have.