March 27, 2011

In Which Ietrin's Heart Hits a Wall

March 3, 1173

Ietrin could have spent all day playing with his son, but the reality was that Kaldar needed to sleep every once in a while. Of course, it wasn't as if he and Ellona couldn't entertain themselves during these periods.

Or, so would have been the case if not for the knocking at the door. "Ietrin? Ietrin, are you in there?"

Well, so much for having a sanctuary. Annoyed, he peeled his lips from Ellona's and shot a quick glare toward the door. "Who's there?"

"It's me--Sparron." In its slight panic, his brother-in-law's voice had failed to register in Ietrin's mind, but now he recognized it. But what was Sparron doing here? As far as Ietrin could tell, he and Ellona weren't exactly fond of each other. "Are you dressed?"

"You should go talk to him," Ellona muttered, shrinking away in a fashion most unlike her. It was the way of shy violets, fading out of reach, not wanting to be touched but not wanting to offend. But Ellona was a wild rose; if she did not want to be touched, then she could and would make use of her thorns. "He sounds a little urgent."

"He can hear me through the door." He tapped her on the nose in an attempt to reassure her, but those pouty lips told him he'd failed. Why was she acting like this? Prior to this, anyone who dared interrupt their sessions was met with Ellona's own brand of seething, fire-eyed rage; why was she making an exception for Sparron, or all people?

His brother-in-law's fist pounded thrice more against the door's surface. "Ietrin! You asshole! Come out--now!"

"Kids." Ietrin smirked down at Ellona, who grimaced and nudged him with her leg. Was she trying to kick him off of the bed? "El? Are you all right?"

"Yes--I just don't think your brother-in-law would ride all the way out here if it wasn't important." She caught him off-guard with a swift blow to the shin and scowled--now this was the Ellona he knew. "Stop being an idiot and hear him out."

He sighed. At the very least, he could always tell himself that the sooner Sparron said his piece, the sooner he would leave. "Fine. What do you want, Sparron?"

"My father told me to find you." A sharp breath could be heard from the corridor; Ietrin's brow twitched as if by reflex. "It's Jeda. She's having the baby."

A disorienting stupor washed over him as his heart sprouted wings and flew laps around his core. His son! His heir! And to think, he'd thought it would be at least another week. "She is?"

Ellona sat up and smiled smugly. "Told you it was something important."

Laughing, he kissed her on the brow before leaping from the bed. "Yes, and thank God at least one of us is clever. But my God! Two sons--I'm going to have two sons, all in the space of a few months!" He slipped into his boots and sprung toward to door, a skip in his step that he had lacked even as a child. A son... an heir...

"Uh, Ietrin?" Sparron's voice wavered; Ietrin's heart slammed into his ribcage like a bird too high on life to watch where it was going, thrust to a sudden halt and leaving a bloody downward trail as gravity took over. "Please hurry up. When I left, it... uh, it wasn't really going so well."

NEXT CHAPTER:

12 comments:

Van said...

Uh, so... question. Do you guys want another update here tomorrow instead of the scheduled Ashelia? I could go either way, but since this was a short post with kind of a rushed ending, I figured I'd ask.

Joseph said...

Naroni please.

I need to find out what happened to Jeda.

YOU CAN'T LEAVE IT THERE.

NOOOOOOOOOOEEEEESSSS

(can you tell I'm on Team Jeda?:p)

Van said...

Oh wow, that was quick. I was just about to go to bed--good thing I thought to check my email first.

But yes, we will find out what happens to Jeda in the next post.

I'm glad Jeda has fans, although I'm not sure if there really is a Team Jeda? Not in regards to Ietrin, at least--maybe there's a Team Pro-Jeda-Anti-Ietrin?

Thanks Joseph :)

Epi said...

Poor Jeda!

I'm glad that it appears Ellona has taken Raia's request to heart.

Chene303 said...

I get that he doesn't love or even like Jeda so I kinda understand him spending alot of time with the women he does love. The part I hate about him is that he's an ass. If your brother-in-law knocks answer damn it!

Plus: Love the preview! Hope Octavius rips him a new one!

Anonymous said...

Naroni! Naroni! Naroni! You can't leave us hanging on JEDA!!

*waves Team Pro-Jeda-Anti-Ietrin banner*

And that asshole. All he thinks about is having another son. ARGH!! Can we put him and Bors in an arena and have them fight it out to the death? Please? Then we'd at least be rid of one of them. ;)

Joseph said...

"Can we put him and Bors in an arena and have them fight it out to the death? Please? Then we'd at least be rid of one of them. ;)"

We can get rid of both if you can get Morgan to kill the one surviving.

I'm so bloodthirsty, aren't I?

Van said...

Oh wow.

Epi: It does look like Ellona is at least considering what Raia said here. She's not a bad person; she's just in this situation with Ietrin and Jeda, and it's not really fair for any of them (but Jeda especially).

Chene: He's definitely an ass, whether he likes Jeda or loves Ellona or what :S

It's interesting that he referred to Sparron as a "kid" here, because Sparron is Jeda's twin and therefore her exact age. So maybe that's Ietrin's thing with Jeda. Or maybe she's just not his type. But regardless of whether he's attracted to her or not, he should really be treating her (and her family) with more respect.

Morgaine: Sounds like the crowd has spoken.

LULZ at the Bors/Ietrin deathmatch XD I'm not sure Ietrin's problem is misogyny, though? Seems to me that he just doesn't want too many kids overall and maybe he wants the bulk of them with Ellona, so he and Jeda'd better shove out an heir on the first try.

Interesting that it hasn't even been born yet and he's already referring to it as a boy, though...

Joseph: Nothing wrong with a little Sims-directed bloodthirstiness XD

S.B. said...

I am so sorry I get behind, but your story is one of the places in the world I want to get back to...so it's just crap when I get behind.

I do not want to look ahead. I used to think Ietrin was a jerk and Ellona was..well I never did understand why she loved him. I'm changing my mind.

And I'm cutting back hard on the stuff I follow so yes please.

Van said...

No worries, Beth. We all get behind on things sometimes, and I know real life has been a bitch lately.

Next post is now up. Now, back to that damn term paper... :S

Chene303 said...

It is odd that he calls Sparron 'kid'. I was thinking that while I was reading like 'Wow, he has no respect for him or his family at all. I mean his wife Sparrons TWIN"

Yeah, this is like three days late but I just thought to read the comments on this entry! :P

Van said...

There is no such thing as a late comment. All comments are precisely on time :)

And to think--Sparron is even the older twin. Only be a few minutes, granted, but older nonetheless :S

Ietrin really doesn't have much respect for Jeda's family, except maybe Holladrin because she's his own aunt. And maybe Octavius if he's in a close enough proximity to be a threat. But other than that, he seems woefully ignorant about the whole in-law relations thing :S