February 14, 2011

In Which Had Gets an Improper Sort of Answer

April 5, 1172

"What the hell, Had?" Lyraina broke into a grin as she rounded into the reception area from the corridor. "You don't need to dress up in your best tunic for a social call, you idiot."

Had smirked. This was his girl. Her cinnamon hair might have hung loose and her new day gown was nicer than the ones his sisters wore on Sundays, but she was still the same old Lyraina--blunt, fancy-free, and playfully insulting. "You're one to talk about dressing up."

She shrugged. "What can I say? Sir Tarien spoils us--Hilla has an even fancier dress."

"I'm sure." He watched the edged of her bleached linen under-dress sweep across the hardwood as she strode toward him; not sure he could wait, he stepped forward himself and met her in the middle. "So, any idea when he's going to officially become your stepfather?"

Amused, Lyraina snorted. "If you like your head attached your neck, never ask my mother that."

"I don't have to; I'm sure she has plenty of fancy new dresses too?"

"Oh, she does." She placed her hands on his shoulders and pressed herself against him; he took a chance to indulge in the flowery scent of her hair before she drew back a few inches and met his eye. "She's too proud to wear them, though."

Had chuckled to himself. It was a clear picture in his mind--a great fine castle, six children and their grandmother all dressed like lords while their mother sat scowling in her same old peasant dress. "That's our Arydath. Anyway, there's something I wanted to talk to you about."

"Oh?" Her teasing grin flattened somewhat. He wasn't sure whether that was a good sign or not; on one hand, she might have assumed something worse and would be pleasantly surprised, or she knew exactly what he was here about and she wasn't going to take it well.

But he supposed he wouldn't know until he'd said his piece, so he swallowed his pride and took hold of her hand. "Well... you know that my father's been quite prosperous these past few years, right?"

Lyraina nodded. Inhaling deeply, Had stepped back and looked her over; either her body language was indecipherably neutral, or he didn't know her as well as he liked to think he did. "Well, I've been helping him, and he's been giving me a bit of a wage, and he said if I liked, I might move into this little house he owns a couple minutes down from his barn--get away from my bratty little siblings for a while."

At the mention of 'bratty little siblings', she gave an appreciative snicker. He took that as a good omen and continued. "So, I was wondering... maybe you'd want to live there with me? I actually talked to your mother about this a few months back, but then the fire happened and you ended up living here and I didn't know if you'd want to leave your castle just for me. But I did some thinking, and really--" he reached forward and ran his fingers through her hair, relieved to find that she didn't flinch "--we could be living in some godforsaken cave somewhere for all I care; as long as you're there, it'll be a castle."

Of all the stupid things to say! Where the hell had that even come from? Had felt an uncomfortable blush wreak havoc on his face as Lyraina drummed her fingers against his shoulder. "Is this a proposal?"

Sheepish, he curled his mouth into a small grin. "I guess it is. Anyway, I understand if you want some time to--"

She didn't let him finish. "Uh... Lyraina? That would be my ass..."

"I know." A mischievous twinkle in her eye, she bent down and let her fingers spider their way down his thigh to his fossa; his jerked shut in response to the tickling. "I figured since you just proposed to me, you wouldn't care if I grabbed it; you can grab my ass if you want."

Awkward and dazed and his heart skipping beats, Had placed a shaking, tentative hand on Lyraina's thigh, only for her to take hold of his wrist and maneuver it around to the back; for such a thin girl, her posterior was surprisingly well-formed. "So... is that a yes?"

"What do you think, chowderhead?"

Her smile said enough. It was nice to know that after all these years, he was fluent enough in the language of Lyraina not to need a proper sort of answer. "I love you."

"I know you do."

Bliss, he figured, hadn't existed before then--not for him anyway, not like this. He ran the back of his hand across the side of her face, her flesh soft and smooth like rose petals. "I can't believe you just agreed to spend the rest of your life with me."

Rolling her eyes, Lyraina sighed. Had he heard her sigh before? Somehow, she made it seem pretty. "That's because you're a moron--but I love you, even if you are stupid and ridiculous and... short."

"Short?" He slung his arms around her form and pulled her closer. "Short? I'm taller than you, you know."

As best she could within his embrace, she shrugged. "Details, details; just shut up and kiss me already."

NEXT CHAPTER:

11 comments:

Van said...

I love it when I manage to post early in the day--now I have more time before I have to fret over tonight's Ashelia photoshoot XD

A happy Feb. 14th to those of you who like it (I don't, but I was so Scrooge-like on Halloween that I feel as though I've worn myself out for the next few pseudo-holidays).

Just out of curiosity--and so I know who I need to write more--who are your favorite couples? Presently? In the past? Speculative, could've been, might be, eye-bulging crack pairings, etc.?

Keri said...

Aww, this was cute. I really like Lorn and Leara. I'm sure they will be the favorite all the way around. They are a bit too perfect though and sadly to make a good story and so that we can see more of them you'll have to make some kind of disaster happen. I also like the idea of Vardis and Searle. Maybe he just needs to fall head over heels for someone again. Love can change people. I still love Severin and Nora and Rahia and Falidor, but everyone that I like is so happy right now. I don't want you to write about them and ruin my rose colored glasses! Lol, great story Van!

Van said...

Thanks Keri :)

Yeah, I see what you mean about Lorn and Leara. They're a good sort of beta couple--a sort of stable foil to more dramatic couples, and they can possibly get some screen time through that role. Unless of course something catastrophic happens and their relationship takes a turn for the worse... but I hope that won't happen for a while, if it ever does.

I'll admit that Searle and Viridis would be interesting, although she'll probably have to be a little older before anything beyond flirtatious exchanges can happen. Searle does need somebody to love.

Heheheh... yeah, I see what you mean there--out of spotlight equals happy. Severin and Nora are happy right now, as are Raia and Falidor (although Raia might be a little miffed soon, because she's about two weeks pregnant right now and I can't imagine she wanted to get started on Baby #2 already).

Thanks again! Glad you're enjoying the story so far :)

Anonymous said...

In all honesty my fav couple right now is Searle and Sparron. I want to see alot more of those two!

Van said...

I definitely have more Searle and Sparron on my outline ;)

Anonymous said...

Searle and Sparron definitely!!! I also love Lorn & Leara, and of course Raia & Falidor and Severin & Nora. Celina and Ovrean could use a bit of screen time, too, but not if it means another kid dies. Oh! And Jadin and Xeta! I'd love to hear more from them!

But as for Had and Lyriana ... oh, I hope Halford is up in heaven, cheering! (Honora too.) *sniffle* Lyriana is so Arydath's daughter here! I hope she (and her mom) have many years of all-around awesomeness with the guy she loves in store for her yet!

Van said...

It would be nice to see more of Celina and Ovrean, but they're pretty happy now for the most part. We'll probably see Celina when Leara's baby is born :)

And more Jadin and Xeta coming up fairly soon...

Oh, Halford is probably bouncing up and down on his cloud right now. Honora's probably pretty happy too, but she's not such a bouncy personality, so it's probably a more controlled happiness. And Lyraina is a lot like her mom--I just hope she and Had have more years together than their parents did.

Verity said...

Awww... I love these guys.

I was however wondering what a fossa was o_O (it sounded really dirty somehow) since I hadn't heard of that anatomical term before. I looked it up on wikipedia and the first thing that came up was this cat animal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fossa_%28animal%29

I had to laugh "Excuse me... would you please stop fondling my fossa"

:D

Van said...

Heehee, fossa XD

I think the default assumption with all anatomical terms is that they are somehow dirty :P

And I will admit that I had to dig around for what that was called. Somehow I doubt the term "knee-pit" had been coined by 1172.

Penelope said...

hehehhe Aww. That was cute. I had precisely the same reaction as Verity but I did not head over to wikipedia. hehehehehhe "Knee pit" is just as bad though.

Van said...

Heheh... I did need something a little better than "knee pit" :P