September 12, 2010

In Which Searle Performs a Proper Diagnosis

December 14, 1168

After what had to have been at least ten minutes of relative quiet, Sparron put down his pen and tucked in his chair. "I'm sorry that there's not much to do around here."

"It's fine," Searle insisted as the other boy strode toward him. "I mean, I like doing things and all, but sometimes it's nice to just sit and think."

Coming to a halt at Searle's feet, Sparron chuckled. "Sitting and thinking? I take it no one in your family understands that."

"My father does." Searle picked at a lose thread on his sleeve and sighed. "At least, he used to." He let his eyes drop to his lap and studied the backs of his hands. He didn't want to talk about his father.

Fortunately, Sparron seemed to pick up on that. "So, is Ietrin still chasing your sister? Maybe we could take him if we both go to pound him at the same time."

"And Eblor might want to help, because Ietrin flirts with Aydelle all the time too," Searle added, his mind still struggling with the fact that his sharp-eyed sister had somehow been lumped into the same category as a beauty such as Princess Leara's maid. "He likes Ellona too, but she's mean and I don't think anyone else can stand her, so it'll just be the three of us."

"Two," the other boy insisted. "Eblor doesn't deserve to fight for Aydelle. Didn't you know? He's always chasing after other girls behind her back. Camaline complains about it all the time."

Searle raised an eyebrow; he'd never heard Sparron mention his betrothed, and for some reason, he'd figured he never would. "That seems like an odd thing for a girl to discuss with her betrothed."

Sparron's mouth curved into a suspiciously grimace-like grin. "Well, Camaline's an odd sort of girl. I can't really explain it. Well... you've kissed girls before, right?"

Searle nodded. "Four of them. Why?"

"Four?" If his face was any indication, Sparron's heart had stopped for a couple of seconds. "Well, I've only kissed the one, and it's not supposed to feel like you're kissing an ice sculpture, is it?"

"I guess not. My kisses were nice, at least."

"I thought so." The older boy tossed back his head in resignation. "Anyway, thank you for being honest, but not in that in-your-face sort of way that Jadin is. You should have seen him when I asked him about this; you'd think he invented the kiss."

That did sound like Jadin. It also sounded absurd. Shaking his head, Searle leapt to his feet and snickered. "Sparron, have you ever seen Jadin kiss a girl?"

"No." Sparron took a moment to consider this. "You mean... he really hasn't?"

"Oh no, he has," Searle assured him. "Lots of girls--more than me for sure, and it isn't as if I've seen all of them. But I'll let you in on a little secret." He leaned a little closer, then shot a glance to the door; if there was any chance this got back to Jadin, then he was in for the beating of a lifetime when they got home. "He does it all wrong."

"What?" Sparron seemed to be caught somewhere between amusement and disbelief. "Seriously? What do you mean?"

"I mean it looks like he's trying to eat her face!" Searle gasped, shuddering as the memory of Jadin's most recent display danced across his mind. "And not in the way adults kiss when they start getting randy either--you'd actually think her face was a pie. He's over-eager, so he's slobbering all over her. And then when he tries to use his tongue, it only makes it into her mouth about half the time. It's a mess! It's like watching a newborn puppy trying to climb back in!"

The older boy shuddered. "God, I hope I don't kiss like that... although, it would explain why Camaline hates it."

"Nah, you don't seem like the type who would slobber all over a girl's face," Searle assured him. "Some girls just don't like kissing for some reason."

"It would be nice to know the reason, though." Sparron clasped his hands for a few seconds, then let them fall deftly to his sides. "There must be something wrong with the way I kiss."

Good Lord, he sure was down on himself about this. There was only one way Searle could shut him up.

Mindful that a second thought might dissuade him, he pounced upon the other boy and planted a firm kiss right on Sparron's mouth. He kept him in lip-lock for about a minute or so in order to perform a proper diagnosis; from what he could tell, Sparron had been overreacting. There was nothing wrong with the way he kissed. He wasn't any better than any of the girls Searle had pecked previously, but he wasn't any worse either. Curious, Searle decided to apply a bit of tongue; Sparron passed that test as well.

After concluding that Camaline was simply frigid, Searle broke away and released Sparron, who took a few seconds to catch his breath, then just stared at him, seemingly confused in an amused sort of way. "Uh... what the hell?"

Searle shrugged. "I see no obvious flaws with your technique."

"So... that was a test, then?" Sparron's expression was unchanged; clearly, the boy couldn't take a compliment.

Hoping to reassure him, Searle nodded. "And you passed with flying colors. I hate to break it to you, Soldier, but your woman just doesn't know a good kiss when it hits her in the face."

Sparron still looked a little skeptical, but from what Searle could tell, he didn't want to argue. "All right, then..."

"Anyway, you know how you asked if I wanted to go for a ride, but I said it was too cold and you'd have to be mad to go out there if you didn't have to?" Sparron gave a slow nod, to which Searle responded with a smile. "I'm feeling a bit insane now; want to go for a ride?"

"Might as well," the other boy agreed. "Now that you mention it, I'm feeling somewhat crazy myself."

NEXT CHAPTER:

10 comments:

Van said...

I hadn't originally planned on them kissing in this post, but when I was consulting the height chart so I could adjust their stretches for the last post, I noticed that Sparron's twelve-year-old height was the same as Searle's eleven-year-old height, so I couldn't pass up that rare opportunity :P

Anyway, we're now done with 1168 :) Looking at my outline right now, we're in for a slightly better year, but unfortunately, it will start on kind of a rocky note.

Penelope said...

Heh, odd that he and Camaline would have pretty much the same experience. The reveal on that will be pretty funny sometime down the road like, "By the way, I totally used to make out with Aydelle." "Really? Because Searle completely shoved his tongue down my throat this one time." That'll be a bonding moment. Either that, or they will each be scandalized and disgusted by the other.

Anonymous said...

I wonder what Elbor would say if he knew that a princess was chasing his young wife as well as a prince ...

And I loved this post! It will be interesting to see where/if this goes anywhere. The boys don't seem nearly as intense as what Camaline was feeling for Aydelle. And Penelope's right, that would be quite the bonding experience if they ever told about their premarital practice!

Van said...

Pen: That would be an interesting conversation :P

Morgaine: I think the big difference here is that with Camaline and Aydelle, there may have been some sort of crush hanging around prior to the kissing. With Sparron and Searle, it just sort of spontaneously happened. So we shall see what comes of this :)

Thanks :)

Verity said...

I feel a marriage of convenience coming on. If they both turn out to prefer the charms of their own sex it actually couldn't be a better situation for them. How terrible in medieval times if you were gay (especially for a woman!) and where forced to live a heterosexual life. But if it is both of them... well that's perfect!

Of course, this could just be nothing on Sparron's part (I tend to think it's definitely more than nothing on Camalines) but if it is... he certainly won't be having a wife whose begging him for sex. I can imagine the awkwardness for them when they want to have babies though...

Van said...

At this point, I think it's safe to say that Camaline is at least bisexual, if not an all-out lesbian, but she's still youngish, so it might be too soon to tell. In any case, if Sparron turned out to be more interested in men than women, I think this marriage would be a lot more convenient for both parties.

Heheh, the idea of babies adds even more drama here. I can just imagine their parents bugging them about taking so long to give them some grandkids, and then the awkward glances are exchanged... O_o

thewynd said...

OK I got quite a giggle out of this one. I definitely don't see it the same as Camaline and Aydelle but it does make you wonder.

Van said...

Oh yeah, it's definitely not the same sort of thing, but that doesn't mean it won't necessarily lead to something more at some point :P

Phoenix said...

LOL!! This was awesome(how did I miss this post??)!! I think I'm going to enjoy watching these to navigate through all the romantic stuff! Should be interesting!

Van said...

It should be interesting to see the next time they interact, that's for sure ;)