October 31, 2008

In Which Alina Must Have Faith

March 19, 1155

"Well, Princess," Alina heard her husband whisper as the door swung shut behind them, "it looks like we can stay here for a while."

She lifted her head from his shoulder. "You're certain?"

"I spoke with the baron who lives north of here," he assured her. "He said that this castle was unoccupied, and my intuition tells me he's a man of his word. We'll stay here for a few weeks or so, and if you like it here, I can convince Roderick to make me lord of this shire."

This Alina did not doubt; Severin could talk a nun into committing a cold-blooded murder, she was sure of it.

"Isn't it funny to think that Roderick is king here?" she mused aloud. "And he's your own cousin."

Severin frowned. "Well, Oswald is also my cousin, and he's the crown prince, so the thought really hadn't crossed my mind, to be honest, love."

Alina giggled. "So eventually, you will be the cousin of two kings."

"They don't really think of me as a cousin, though," he protested, "and I'm not royalty, since I'm not related to Farilon. I daresay I could only possibly even be considered a noble here in Naroni."

"As long as I'm here, you'll always be an emperor," declared Alina, planting a quick kiss on his cheek.

He laughed softly, holding her even more tightly in his arms. "And you, my sweet, will always be my little princess. Now, I shall take you upstairs to the bedroom and start a nice fire, if you like. How does that sound?"

"Lovely. Take me up at once, good sir."

"As you wish, my lady."

She continued to enjoy his strong embrace as he carried her up the stairs and into the master bedroom, placing her lovingly on the couch and kissing her forehead before starting the fire.

Once again, Alina found herself studying her husband intently. She was the youngest of the ten children of the Count of Valcria, the fifth of his daughters, and, as many claimed, the loveliest. Her four older sisters had all made the most perfect of matches, all to heirs, and Alina herself had been promised to the eldest son of the Duke of Luperia--needless to say, her father had been both shocked and outraged to learn that she had instead married the bastard son of that same duke and his gyspy mistress.

Therefore, it had been necessary for Severin and Alina to leave Dovia, especially now that they had a child on the way. True, Roderick was also likely unhappy with them, but the way they saw it, he would be a lot more forgiving than the old count, so fleeing to Naroni had been their best option.

Alina did not know what it was to live away from the home she had always known. She did not know what it was to be a wife, and even less what it was to be a mother.

But at the same time, she realized, she did not know what it was to not be loved by this man. Her entire life, he had been there for her, watching over her like a guardian angel--she'd been told that three-year-old Severin used to spend many an afternoon visit to the castle at Valcria simply staring at the infant Alina as she slept in her crib, his fascination unfazed as the hours passed. It was he who had always stood up for her when other boys had teased her, he who would cradle her as she cried after hearing her parents fight, he who had promised her she wouldn't have to marry dull old Rudolphus. It was as though it was his sworn duty to be for her whatever it was she needed, and he had upheld his silent oaths her entire life.

Oh, how she loved him; her protector, her champion, the only constant in her life. She knew he would do everything in his power to make her happy, and she would have to have faith in him. Even if Roderick denied him this castle, Severin would make a home for Alina and their children here in Naroni, a home that would remain in their family for generations to come. Whatever he did here would become his legacy--and of course, hers as well.

Severin sat down on the couch beside Alina and slung one arm over her shoulder, pulling her closer. "Comfortable, Princess?"

"Very," she sighed in content.

"Are you feeling sick at all?"

Alina shook her head. "No. He's settled down now."

Severin raised an eyebrow. "What makes you think it will be a boy?"

"He'll be a strong, raven-haired lad like his father," she insisted.

"Wrong. She will be a copper-haired beauty like her mother," Severin argued, a teasing smile crossing his face.

"Well, we couldn't possibly both be right."

"That is true. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see, then."

"Indeed."

His squint-eyed smile remained. God, she loved that smile--as stupid as it was, it was her favorite smile out of all of his; he had twenty-six, this she knew for a fact. If their baby was a boy, he simply had to inherit that smile. If it was a girl... well, maybe it would be better if she didn't.

Carefully so as to avoid compromising the baby, Alina wrapped her arms around Severin's neck and perched herself upon his lap, her gaze locking with his. "I love you," she told him, smiling what she did not realize was his favorite of her eighteen smiles.

"I love you too, Princess," he replied softly. "I always have, and I always will."

She giggled. "Oh Severin, you say the most obviously unoriginal things!"

He began to lean toward her. "What's important, Alina, is that I say nothing but the truth."

He gently laid her down and began to kiss her passionately. Fine ladies were not supposed to enjoy such acts, this Alina knew, but she couldn't help but lose herself as his warm body drew nearer to hers and their tongues began to intertwine, a strong surge of pleasure engulfing her. The way she saw it--and he, a man, shockingly agreed--women had just as much of a right to enjoy their husbands as men had to enjoy their wives.

"Mmm... Severin?" she addressed him as he pulled her into a sitting position once more.

"Yes, my love?" he breathed, his mahogany eyes sparkling like the gold band on her finger.

"Don't you think this is just a little improper?" she inquired, trying not to sound too frigid. "In the middle of the day? And on the sofa, no less?"

He nodded. "You're right, Princess; I'm sorry. What else would you like to do?"

Alina grinned deviously. "Well..."

"Better?" asked Severin with a wink after they had moved to the bed.

"Infinitely so," Alina replied. "As for the time of day, there's nothing either of us can do about that, so we'll just have to compromise."

"Of course."

"Now, if you would kindly pick up where you left off..."

"With pleasure."

Once more he was upon her oh-too-willing form. Eagerly she awaited his mouth upon hers, but then, suddenly, he stopped.

"Alina, love... what about the baby?"

Alina laughed. "Oh, the baby will be fine, Severin, other than being alone in my womb with no one for company. Perhaps we shall make him a twin."

NEXT CHAPTER:

10 comments:

Van said...

If these two looked a little out of proportion, it's because I recently downloaded SimPE and used them as my guinea pigs in the testing of the skeleton stretch factor. I assumed a sim with a stretch of 1 to be about 5'10", so I upped Severin to 6'0" and pulled Alina down to 5'9". I ended up playing around with everyone in the neighborhood--next time we see Dalston and Celina, their height difference will be a shock (in their last post, they were both 5'10", but now he is 6'1" and she is 5'6").

Also, I hope Alina's last line didn't make her sound too stupid. I kind of figured that they generally didn't know any more about the workings of the menstrual cycle in those days than they could actually physically see.

Penelope said...

Yeah, I believe that the prevailing thought would have been that a woman's body only houses the baby (which is the sole product of the man's semen). So that makes sense. But of course, I could be wrong.

Van said...

Anyway, that's the end of the upper-class couples. I only have one middle-class couple, and then three peasant couples.

And then, we shall have some form of plot. Maybe.

Tiana said...

Oh man I love these two! Its nice to have at least one couple with no problems :) And I like that she felt all dirty for enjoying her husband...haha...at least she seemed to get over it pretty quickly :0

I love your writing style too, lots of humor and good structure and format. Awesome job...off to read more!

Van said...

I'm glad you're finding it funny so far. My sense of humor is usually fairly hit-and-miss.

I think my writing is improving a little with each post. It's not the best I've done in my life, but I'm apt to blame the fact that I'm writing to accommodate the pictures (I figure I'm better at the writing than I am at picture-taking, so I've been taking pictures before writing the posts. Not sure if most people do it that way, or the other way around).

Anonymous said...

Aww, these two are too sweet. Severin is my favorite so far :)

Verity said...

These two really are so cute! I think Severin is my favourite too. He really reminds me of Alred, in looks as well as the whole charming factor. He seems like such a decent guy.

Van said...

They're my favorite couple currently, with the possible exception of Halford and Arydath, whom you have yet to meet. I always kind of worry when I'm writing Severin, because it always seems like I make him too perfect. Recently, I've been trying to find some more issues with him just to make him more believable.

Adie said...

They're so cute together!

Van said...

I can't say much about these two without spoiling a considerable part of the story, but indeed they are :)