June 30, 2009

In Which Roderick Will Grieve

September 27, 1158

"Well, this certainly is a surprise," Roderick greeted the young man in front of him. "My God, boy--I haven't seen you since Rudolphus and Eudocia got married. Terribly sorry that I missed your sister's wedding, but it isn't as though anyone didn't know why I wasn't there. How are Lileina and Cambrin doing, anyway?"

"Well, thank you very much," answered Tarien with a half-hearted smile. "Their little girl is almost a year old now. All three of them are very happy."

Roderick sent him a teasing grin. "And are you thinking of achieving such happiness for yourself any time soon, young Tarien?"

The young man sighed. "Well, I've been promised to my cousin, but her father doesn't want her to marry before she's sixteen, so I'm still free for another three years. Just as well--lot of empty sheaths out there lacking a sword, if you know what I mean, and I might as well feel around before I find the one that fits."

Shaking his head, the king pulled himself to his feet and pushed his chair back into place. "There's not much else you young people think of besides 'sheaths' and 'swords' is there?"

"Unfortunately, my very visit proves you wrong there," muttered Tarien wistfully. "So many beautiful maids in this castle, and after I give you this news, I will be in no state to seek their undoubtedly agreeable company."

Roderick nodded, understanding. "Something dreadful then, I take it. Has someone found the body of my late wife?"

"No, but you are on the right track, your majesty," the younger man insisted. "In fact, it concerns my uncle, the Earl of Bandera--your wife's brother."

"Oh."

Gravely, Tarien nodded. "We all knew it was only a matter of time, but now that's happened, it just feels so... odd."

Roderick felt his lips curl into a frown. "I see."

"I'm sorry if we were at all presumptuous in sending you this message, considering all that happened with your wife," the boy apologized, "but Karlspan always held you in high regard, I hope you realize. He never had a bad word to say about anyone--he was a fine man, my uncle."

Indeed he had been. Despite everything that Geneva had done to him, Roderick could not have asked for a more gracious brother-in-law than Karlspan. Never before had he met a man both so brilliant and so accommodating, so frail of body, yet powerful in spirit. Nobles and peasants alike had loved him. He would be sorely missed by all, including the man who had been so insulted by his sister--regardless of Geneva, Roderick would grieve for her brother.

With a slow nod, he agreed, "The finest."

NEXT CHAPTER:

3 comments:

Van said...

Sorry about the short, death-related post :(

Anyway, I'm going to go take the pictures for the chapter after next. I'm really excited to take these pictures--really, really excited.

Phoenix said...

I think this is the first time I've really seen a human side to Roderick. I gotta admit it both freaked me out and made me sad that someone close to him had to die for him to act that way! *sigh*

Ohh...what's happening chapter after next? Huh? Huh? HUH?!

Van said...

Yeah, Roderick's really a big, spoiled kid most of the time, but I guess even the most self-centered of people have their breaking points. Shame that Roderick's is where it is though, really :(

As for the chapter after next, I won't say anything about it except for the fact that you'll like it. I promise :)