May 26, 2009

In Which Florian Recieves a House Call

January 1, 1158

That noise was getting quite annoying. Florian could deal with the occasional thud or bang, but there was no way he would be able to sleep through that frequent thumping. The sounds were disturbingly close together--either Goodwife Noth was awake and partaking in some form of activity that Florian preferred not to imagine her doing, or someone had broken in. If, by some ill fortune, it was the latter rather than the former, that meant that his children were very possibly at risk.

Not to mention, he wasn't going to get his beauty sleep if that noise continued for much longer.

He made his way to the bedroom door and cautiously stepped into the corridor. The sound was louder now, and much clearer--whoever it was had to be in the front room.

Oh God, what if it was some convict? Or a beggar? Or some whore giving him a booty call--Good Lord, what if it was the missing queen?

Well, whatever Florian had been expecting, he'd certainly been wrong.

"What in the hell...?"

It was a naked kid, jumping on the couch.

"Uh... what are you doing here? Who are you?"

The kid turned in mid-air, revealing a strange marking on his face, like some sort of tribal tattoo; either he was a young pagan from some local group of natives Florian hadn't known existed, or some little scamp running around with paint on his face.

"'Allo, Dovan-man!" he exclaimed. "Feel better?"

Surely the latter. "Look, I have two babies sleeping upstairs!" Florian hissed at him. "Can you keep it down?"

"Oh. Sorries."

The boy bounced a final time, then settled himself down on the couch--Florian made a mental note to tell Goodwife Noth to wash that particular cushion.

"You no 'member me, yes?" asked the child in his strange vernacular.

Florian raised an eyebrow. "Remember? When the hell did we meet? I think I'd remember some painted, nudist midget with God-awful grammar if I met one."

His visitor shrugged. "Thought sos." He then pointed to the other couch. "Sits."

Confused, Florian sat. "All right. Why are you here? What do you want?"

Maybe he was dreaming. That would have explained everything. Or maybe he was hallucinating--that or stark, raving mad.

"Squirms gone, yes?" the kid began; Florian could honestly say he had no idea what he was talking about.

"Uh... squirms?" he repeated, squinting slightly.

The boy began mimicking some sort of writhing movement with his finger. "Squirms. Dirt-eaters. Long, pink slimies. Tastes good in pies."

It suddenly occured to Florian that this brat was talking about his previous illness.

"Worms," he corrected the boy. "And what do you know about that anyway? Christ, can't a man suffer a life-threatening parasitical infestation around here without everybody and their dog knowing about it?"

The kid shrugged. "No knows. But I helpded you better, 'member?"

Florian shook his head; this feeling of stupor and oblivion was growing rather vexing. "No, I really think I would have remembered something like you..."

"Maybe you was 'lirious," the child reasoned matter-of-factually, "or hallucitating--but I helpded, promise! So I want know if you better, yes?"

The urge to make fun of the boy's language was becoming stronger by the sentence, but at this hour, Florian just wanted to sleep; he would have to get the kid out of the house soon.

"Yes, I'm better," he assured the youngster. "Thank you for asking. Now, go home."

Sighing, the boy propelled himself off the couch, his eyes closed in defeat. "Maybe that for betterest. I go home fast, yes? If Papa know I come here, maybe he eat my other kidney."

Florian's eyes bulged.

"Joke!" cackled the kid as he hurried outside. "Gull'ble, salty Dovans!"

The sky outside was growing fairly light--he remembered that the baron wanted to see him at dawn. Quickly, he calculated how much time he had before he had to be awake...

Damn kid. Damn naked, grammatically-challenged kid.

NEXT CHAPTER:

21 comments:

Van said...

We last saw that kid here:

http://kingdomofnaroni.blogspot.com/2009/04/in-which-thetis-gives-light-to-diamonds.html

Also, here are a few helpful links:

http://kingdomofnaroni.blogspot.com/2008/10/in-which-roderick-becomes-king.html

http://kingdomofnaroni.blogspot.com/2009/04/in-which-lonriad-wrecks-cambrins.html

And uh... my grad is the day after tomorrow, so... updates on all fronts might be a little scarce for the next few days. Sorry.

eclectictsunami said...

YES! FLORIAN AND THE WHACKY CHILD! WHAT COULD BE BETTER?

Van said...

Hmmm... that's a tough one.

Phoenix said...

No!!! Why must you do this to me!! I'm at work on the sucky work computer when a FLORIAN update comes out!!! That's just wrong!! O_o Hmm...maybe I can get it on my phone!! Yeah...I think I can! Awesome!

Van said...

Sorry Phoenix :(

Phoenix said...

Well I read it anyways! Will reread when I get home! Oh man! I love that little boy!! Him and Florian together is such a WIN Van!! Awesome, awesome!! Hahaha!!! I loved his crack about his dad eating his other kidney and him yelling joke!! Good one!!

And look at Florian getting all protective of his kids!! I love that man!!

And hey! Congrats on graduating!! I hope you have a blast doing whatever it is you're going to do!!:D

Van said...

Heheheh... thanks, Phoenix. I really can't wait to do more with that kid :)

We'll be seeing his dad sometime in 1158 too! Except I'm excited for that post for a different reason :p

What made me happiest is that it actually seemed in character for Florian to refer to them as "his kids" instead of "his son and Evera". How that man has grown!

Thanks, I'm pretty excited :) My biggest worry for next year, actually, is what the hell I'm going to do about my laundry when I'm a whole province away from my mom.

Phoenix said...

Awww!! His little naked behind!! He's absolutely adorable! And Florian is one to talk when he's rarely clothed at all!:P

Oh man...laundromats! I hate them! Maybe take a lot of clothes so you don't have to do them for awhile before taking a quick road trip back home? Wait...how far away is a province?

lothere said...

Now that is a damn fine way to begin my morning: undearwear-clad Florian and naked grammatically-challenged tribal-tattoo kid. :-D

"Good in pies!" That was a joke right? :-o

Congrats Van! :bunny:

Penelope said...

Congratulations, Van! May you receive large monetary gifts from relatives you didn't even know you had! :D

hehehe Why is it that so many people never do laundry before college? That blew me away when I started my freshman year. Is my mother some kind of domestic slacker or is everyone else pampered?

That kidney thing made me LOL here at my desk, in the no-LOLing zone.

Van said...

Phoenix: Where I'm going is about an hour flight, maybe three days of driving if you stop to eat and sleep. My mom and I are flying out, but my dad and my brother are driving out with more of my stuff, so I might just pile a crapload of clothes for them to take.

Lothere: Heheh, not so sure Florian would agree with you there--his morning's off to a horrible start, he thinks :)

Thanks :)

Pen: Thanks :) Actually... I haven't even recieved too many phone calls from known relatives at this point. I guess that's not too surprising, though--I'm kind of the black sheep of my dad's side.

It's probably that we're all spoilt.

I don't think the kid's dad is averse to eating kidneys at all, actually. He wouldn't eat his son's kidney, I don't think, but... oh, I'm saying too much :)

Phoenix said...

Ohhhh! Okay! Yeah...that's a long way just to drop off some laundry! Hrmm...

I'm pampered! Still am! I hate to iron so my mom will do it for me! My gram used to do my laundry all the time when I moved out of the house. I'd go to work and drop it off and then pick it up when I got of! Of course...this was all when I was only making like 6 bucks an hour ya know?

I can't wait to meet his father! Maybe he'll get rid of Thetis husband!

Van said...

Ironing! Oh man, I hate ironing too. Oh well, at least that's not necessary with every article of clothing.

Heheheh... I may have to move back to Alberta after I'm done with my postsecondary to dump my laundry with relatives, since I'm doing a creative writing major and a drama minor--I'm going to be homeless!

lothere said...

I second the motion for the cannibalisation of Thetis's husband.

All in favor, say Aye.

Penelope said...

But that's the saltiest Dovan there is!

Van said...

Hmmm... I'd say Norwan's more bitter. Or just downright nauseating.

Florian, on the other hand, is one salty Dovan.

cheripye said...

LOL! the Kid and Florian! mental note to wash that cushion! this is a very interesting twist I cant wait to see where this goes... With the little nekkid boy and his bad grammar, LOL!

Van said...

I imagine cushions at Casa Florian need to be washed very frequently :D

Verity said...

"Damn kid. Damn naked, grammatically-challenged kid."

Love it! This two make a very funny pair. I worry a bit what papa will say when he find out his kid has been visiting the humans.

Van said...

Oh, he may be none too pleased... we shall see.

Unknown said...

I love these two!

And LOL:

"Christ, can't a man suffer a life-threatening parasitical infestation around here without everybody and their dog knowing about it?"

Oh, Florian!