May 3, 2009

In Which Celina Is Reassured

July 17, 1157

Celina had not been out riding since giving birth to Xeta; as much as she loved the pastime, she was reluctant to go with her husband. Therefore, she had been exceedingly grateful when Severin had offered to take her, even if it was only because his own wife was too far along in her pregnancy to risk mounting a horse.

However, it had been a good ten minutes since Severin had suddenly dismounted, handing the reins of his horse to his steward, who had accompanied them. He'd told Celina to do the same, and then, leaving Falidor and the horses behind, they had walked a ways until coming across the small thicket of trees in which they now stood.

"Do you know this place, Severin?" she inquired as he led her further into the grove.

"I've been here once or twice," he told her. "There's something here that might interest you, dear cousin."

Celina frowned. "Would this thing be 'good' interesting or 'bad' interesting?"

"A bit of both, perhaps," he mused solemnly. "Or maybe first one, then the other. I will not presume to make that call on your behalf. Anyway, you may want to take a few steps forward and look straight ahead of you."

"All right..."

She couldn't believe it.

It was Dalston, standing in the center of a large ring of rosebushes.

"I can take a hint," he assured her, turning on his heel and striding off into the distance. She opened her mouth to protest, but it was too late; he was gone.

"You can follow him if you like," offered Dalston, softly and clearly. "But I'd like it if you stayed."

Taking a quick, deep breath, Celina took a few tentative steps towards him. Everyone had always told her she forgave too easily; it was only now that she was beginning to believe them. Any sensible woman would have done more than just avoid him--any sensible woman would have set him straight the second he'd returned.

And no sensible woman would have come back to him so easily.

"Be careful of the thorns," he warned her. "I'm sorry about those."

Shaking her head, she carefully trudged through the bushes and joined him in the origin of the ring, staring straight into her husband's eyes--never before had they been so blue.

"Lina," he addressed her breathlessly, "I wish there were words to tell you just how sorry I am; you deserve someone who knows such words."

He took a moment to sigh, then continued. "In fact, you deserve someone who would have nothing to apologize for in the first place. I made you a promise, and I broke it. I could make excuses, but the truth is... there is no excuse; I take full responsibility for what happened.

"And yet, somehow, you seem to think this is your fault.

"It's not your fault, Lina; it never was. I don't know why I did what I did, but I do know that it was not to hurt you, nor because I stopped loving you. I never stopped loving you--no one could ever stop loving you."

He gently took her finger between two of his own; the metallic touch of his wedding band was suddenly an indescribable comfort.

"I can never be the man you deserve, my angel--but if you give me another chance, I can try."

"Dalston..." she whispered, trailing off as words failed to come to her.

"Please, Lina."

Words did not come to her. Words could not come to her; words were not strong enough.

So instead, she replied with a smile.

"Oh, Lina!" he sighed as they slowly embraced. "I am the luckiest idiot in the world."

NEXT CHAPTER:

16 comments:

Van said...

Sorry about this cliche, picture-heavy bit of fluff, but by this point, I felt too bad for Celina.

There's still a little bit of drama left in this storyline, however; Geneva's belly is getting pretty big...

eclectictsunami said...

AWWW. :D

Celina definitely more than deserved that, so I'm glad you did it for her :)

Van said...

Yeah, I still kind of feel bad about having Dalston cheat on her in the first place. If I'd been fair, I would've had Roderick cheat.

But bad things happen to good people, unfortunately :(

Phoenix said...

She should have made him grovel! I still can't stand him! Once a cheater, always a cheater and all that!

I like what you did with the bushes though! That was great Van! And who's the hottie in the preview pic?

Van said...

Yeah, she really should have... but Celina's too much of a softy to do that, unfortunately. Oh well, I'm sure he'll be on his best behavior after this.

As for the hottie in the preview pic, he is a re-purposed Maxis townie working as a carpenter in the village near Severin's manor. In fact, the same guy actually had a part in Winchester Legacy. It's like he's an A-list actor or something :)

Phoenix said...

Hopefully he will be! I want to like Dalston again!!

Hahahaha!! Oh wow! That pic stunned me! Awesome make over fan! Seriously! *snickers at A-list actor* :D

Van said...

Hmmm... I don't have much Dalston in my outline. His only scheduled appearance is for when Geneva gives birth. But I haven't even thought about outlining 1158 yet, so who knows?

Thanks :) I don't like making any more character files than I actually need (I'm kind of a storage freak), so I figure, why not make use of some of the better-looking Maxis sims for smaller roles? I actually kind of wish I had Uni so I could do plastic surgery on the more aesthetically-challenged Maxis sims, as well as any deceased characters.

Meanwhile, at least I have Sim PE for when I need clone sims. Saves me the trouble (and space!!) of making new ones. This has actually proven to be a shockingly useful innovation, the ability to make any sim look exactly like any other sim--including the stretch factor. Like, Sandy Bruty? Now Clone Electra. Goopy Gilscarbo and Melissa Fancey? Clone Aurius and Clone Maru.

Aaaaaand I've totally gone off on a tangent. My bad :p

Dayna said...

Haha, I loved the last picture. It made it so cheesy (in a good way!) and actually made me laugh.

Penelope said...

How did I miss this update?!?!

WARNING: The following comment is complete nonsense.

Anyway, Van this is the part where you're supposed to break out the twist-

Dalston: I'm so sorry, Celina!
Celina: You've really gone out of your way, haven't you? Makes me feel just AWFUL about sleeping with Severin's father in reprisal.

hehe Imagine that. I think Severin's dad might be terrifying to someone like Celina in bed though. Please ignore my drivel.

Anyway, that was sweet. Did Dalston plant all of those himself or did he get a servant to do it? I'm going to go ahead and put in a vote for possibility #1 for the following reasons:

1) He deserves many hours of hard labor for his crimes! I hope he dug holes that were twice the circumference and three times the depth of the root ball! It's like my grandmother always told me- You don't put a $10 plant in a $2 hole!

2) I like the image of Dalston digging holes shirtless, glistening with sweat.

Van said...

Dayna: You caught me, I was aiming for cheesy with the last shot :p

Pen: Lonriad and Celina?!?! O_o

Yeah, he'd scare the clothes right off her, for sure. *shudders*

As for how the roses got there, I'll leave that up to the readers. Maybe Dalston planted them (shirtless and sweaty, of course), maybe some servants did, and maybe they just grew like that by some fluke of nature (which might explain how Severin knew where the place was, since it seems like the kind of place where he and Alina would make a point to have sex).

cheripye said...

*Jumping and Screaming for joy* Hooray Severin got through to the Dolt and what a romantic apology!!! let's just hope he keeps it in his pants from here on, unless it's with Lina!!!!

Loved that last shot!

Van said...

Oh, Dalston's going to be on his absolute best behavior for many years to come :D

Verity said...

I'm so glad these two are okay again. I just hope that the birth of the baby doesn't ruin all that.

Van said...

I'm sure they'll be able to cope :)

Unknown said...

How cute. Glad Celina could forgive him

Van said...

They've got a ways to go still, but there's a light at the end of the tunnel.